1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Silkypix

Discussion in 'Pentax Chat' started by Monobod, Apr 30, 2016.

1. Monobod

Monobod Phantom of the forum

Hi,

I have been experimenting with the Pentax RAW conversion software that came with my K-3. Hmmm. It is a bit crude compared to ACR. Has anyone here tried it, or likes it? I was hoping to use it for the K-1 to produce a TIFF that I could work on in PS, but I'm not sure I like it that much. What do you think?

2. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I have it for my Q (and a separate version for my Panasonic), and I think you're being polite calling it "a bit crude". It's powerful and does a good job, but it's not very nice or easy to use.

3. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I installed the Fuji version on my mac to see the difference to Lightroom (many say LR does not handle Fuji raw files very well) and I can't say that the first impression encouraged me to get a second impression.

4. Roy5051

Roy5051 Well-Known Member

Me neither; I installed it to use with Raw files from my Panasonic FZ200 and couldn't make head nor tail of it. I am sticking to my Serif PhotoPlus X8 which seems quite easy to use.

5. Monobod

This is a real game of soldiers isn't it! Marching around trying to get the best out of damned expensive kit. Adobe know they have the upper hand and are making the most of it. I cannot find any info on the Ricoh website about Silkypix. Perhaps they are a wee bit shy of it?

6. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I thought you said it was bundled with your K3 ?

7. Monobod

Yes it is, but I'm wondering if there is a later version to cope with the K-1 RAW files?? Maybe not.

8. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

If Silkypix came bundled with the K3 then I imagine a K1 friendly version should come with it...

I have a copy of Silkypix in Panasonic guise and it does seem quite powerful but not exactly user friendly - not helped by the traditional Japanese-English translation of the instructions....:rolleyes: As far using it to create TIFF files is there a need to work on them in Silkypix? Just use Silkypix to save/convert than to TIFFs as is and work on them in ACR.

9. Monobod

I now have Lightroom 6.5, which has ACR 9.5.1 including K-1 support so OK.

10. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Now all you need is the camera...;)

11. Monobod

I have just realised that V5 came with the K-1. V4 would not open or even view the K-1 RAW images, which had me confused at first. Oopps. :) Anyway, it now works and I am getting used to its ways. Good to know that I can use it with the Pixel Shift with Motion Correction if I need to. Apparently Adobe has declared it does not intend to fully support this in ACR. :(