1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sigma SD-10

Discussion in 'Other Brands & Accessories' started by SXH, Aug 2, 2018.

1. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

As you know, I collect 10MP cameras. I know, a bit odd, but cheap(ish) and fun. And what fun I've had with my latest acquisition, a Sigma SD-10. Including having to buy a small CF card (it can't handle more than 2GB and all mine are 4GB) and waiting hours for the rechargable batteries to recharge. :rolleyes:

Anyway, it's an interesting piece of work. For a start, it has a Foveon sensor. So while it is 10MP they are stacked in threes, one for each colour, rather than in flat groups of four (and interpolated) as in a Beyer sensor. So in one way it's actually only 3.5MP. Oh, and it only produces RAW (or the Foveon equivalent) files.

I took it for the usual quick test down by the river. Herewith some of the results. All are processed using PhotoPro 6 (just the Auto setting and exported to JPG) and resized using PSE 11, no extra processing. There's a tiny amount of CA due to this version of PhotoPro not recognising the (Sigma) lens! I may have to try loading an older version.

Full size versions are available in the same Flickr album.

[​IMG]Canada Geese by SteveH, on Flickr

[​IMG]Henrietta by SteveH, on Flickr

[​IMG]Guardian of the River by SteveH, on Flickr

[​IMG]Staines Bridge by SteveH, on Flickr

[​IMG]Staines Town Hall by SteveH, on Flickr

[​IMG]Empty Shop by SteveH, on Flickr

I intend to do a few comparison pics (same subject etc) using the SD-10, another 10MP DSLR and my Pentax 33LF (assuming it hasn't finally died), which IS 3.5MP.

Mojo_66 and Andrew Flannigan like this.
  2. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Be interesting to see how it fares at high ISO where the Foveon sensor is reputed to be a bit on the weak side...

I often wonder how Sigma got away with that (and still do I think). It may have 10 million photosites but it still only produces 3.5 million pixel pictures - which are not the same thing at all...

3. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

In the days of 10MP sensors, they were ALL a bit weak at high ISOs!

Anyway, I had a go at the comparison pictures on Sunday, but bogged it up slightly. Will try again sometime this week.

That's a bit semantically hair-splitty. It has 10 million pixels, they just happen to be stacked. Also, if it wasn't for all the software colour interpolation jiggery-pokery, a 10MP Beyer sensor would only have 2.5 effective MP.

4. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

True - but you do at least get a picture with 10 million coloured dots, not 3 and a half...:D

5. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Yeah, but are they the right colours, eh? :eek:

6. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

As right as any digital camera can be given that one can easily mess about with the colour balance... In theory the Foveon sensor should give a more accurate rendition per pixel as it effectively reads the each colour channel directly rather than interpolating it from its neighbours but ultimately the colours are right only according to the balance algorithms created by Sigma's firmware engineers.

It's a situation analogous to exposure - there's no right colours, only the appropriate ones...:)