1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sigma MC-11

Discussion in 'Lens Matters' started by Turnbacktime, Jun 5, 2017.

1. Turnbacktime

Turnbacktime Member

Thinking of swapping to a Sony A7ii, primarily for full frame and image stabilisation benefits, and LCE currently has an offer bundling in the Sigma MC-11 adaptor. I was wondering whether anyone had any experience with this unit with genuine Canon EF lenses rather than Sigma EF lens.
    If it is any good then it would let me defer some if the cost of moving over from my Canon kit.

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

So Sigma decide to make an adaptor rather than re-engineer their lenses - seems a good idea. Sigma have recently being making "Art" lenses which are a step (or two) up from their base business of providing lower cost lenses for the other main makes. So broadly a Sigma Art lens aims at the Canon 'L' lens market.

3. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

By coincidence, this was what I had been considering. I tried out some EF lenses on an A7ii with the MC-11. They both worked fairly well - reasonably quick, and reasonably accurate, though not great on either count. Also, they noticeably struggled a little in low light - although the same could be said when used on the Canon.

As an aside from the MC-11 discussion, I found myself slightly underwhelmed by the image quality of the A7ii. I'd hoped/expected it to be a sort of budget version of the A7Rii - fewer features, and less resolution, of course - but I hoped that otherwise it would be fairly similar. The reality was that the images simply didn't have the same appeal. IMO, this wasn't because of resolution, but because of the whole rendering characteristic. This was the case both when using a Sony lens (albeit not an expensive one), and the Canon lenses. I subsequently decided against the move to the A7ii, and that decision was not due to the performance of the adapted lenses, but due to the image quality characteristics. :(

I hope the above is useful in making your decision.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2017
  4. Turnbacktime

Turnbacktime Member

Thanks for this. Not clear what you were comparing the A7ii to when you weren't happy with the image quality. What did you go for/stay with.

5. peterba

Apologies - I meant to type A7Rii... :oops::rolleyes: Now amended.

Remained with Canon - will continue to look at other options, but I'm not in a rush.

6. Turnbacktime

Turnbacktime Member

OK thanks. I am having to take a serious look at image stabilisation solutions due to hand tremor after a stroke, hence interest in the Sony. I quite like the Sony images and the sensor based IS is more powerful than the lens solution with Canon.
    Annoyed with Canon that the EOS-M 5/6 only have IS on video not stills, otherwise they would be the logical choice. I doubt the new 6-D ii will be mirrorless and offer sensor based IS.

peterba likes this.
  7. peterba

Yes, and more versatile. It provides Image Stabilisation on any lens that will fit on the camera, and of course, mirrorless gives the option of using adapted lenses - which opens a whole new world of GAS. ;) :)

Don't get me wrong, the A7ii image quality isn't (by any stretch of the imagination) 'bad', but after I'd seen the output from the A7Rii, it looked a little flat. Having said that, the 'Rii' is an exceptional - and expensive :eek: - piece of kit.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2017
  8. and very nice indeed... (desperately tries to avoid smug grin, 'cos I've got one, and after doing an event last weekend, that went into the night time, and really pleased with the quality of images taken at fairly high ISOs at night).

If you can find a way to finance the A7Rii, you won't regret it. I would not be surprised if there was an A7Riii before too long, so maybe there could be some reductions, or secondhand ones available from the inveterate upgraders.