1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should you impose your style, or honestly reflect differences?

Discussion in 'Talking Pictures' started by RovingMike, Nov 18, 2013.

1. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

You might, and I think we were taking something as basic as that as read. But we were talking about Martin Parr and what we'd like to see from him. I personally have no interest in seeing his bug on a stick. He can of course do one, but so can millions of others. I'd rather see what millions of others can't do, but he can.

2. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

I can't say I've seen any of his stuff that millions of others can't do so it seems moot to me.

3. RovingMike

You should do some then.

4. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Some very cool photos, Brian, and that Slingpod is absolutely brilliant and gives you the opportunity
    to get some really unusual perspective shot :). As well, the youngsters have all got a great eye for
    photo taking :)

Cheers,

Jack

5. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Very nifty. Do you guestimate the field of view or use a remote viewfinder?

Done_rundleCams likes this.
  6. Dion 47

Dion 47 Well-Known Member

Thanks will get a lot of use in the Rockies

7. Dion 47

Both most of the time just walk about and see what you get Its that split second moment I like to get I use Canon 7Ds +17-55 2.8 I also brought a 70D for the flip screen for plants etc in the countryside using mostly 55-250+70-200 2.8 to get narrow field of view

8. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

Ever cross your mind why 'millions of others' aren't making a career out of it then?

Done_rundleCams and RovingMike like this.
  9. Done_rundleCams

Looking forward to seeng those pics, Brian :)

Cheers,

Jack

10. Dion 47

If you take photos before dawn / sunrise/midday/evening/sunset/countryside/street/ buildings/people/ I think you can see where im going they all need a different approach so you might avoid getting trapped to a style. ?? keeps me from getting bored

11. RovingMike

People work very hard to develop their own style. Why should anyone believe they are trapped in it? Anyone can do a bit of this and that and none of it especially well.

12. Dion 47

You answer very well would you class yourself as anyone or is your work one style. How many anyone's do you know

Last edited: Jul 3, 2017
  13. RovingMike

Yes I'm anyone, but when I care to use it I do have a personal style. I enjoy being a generalist as well, but would not pretend I can do any of it to the same standard.The vast majority of people are anyones, so I know lots.

14. Dion 47

Nothing was said about the standard of the photos you was the one who quoted that, there's more joy from a roving eye than tunnel vision. (this could go on forever) LOL

15. RovingMike

Enjoyment was not the point at issue either. But take a look at the work of someone like Rui Palha who has a very well known style. https://www.flickr.com/photos/ruipalha/
    He'd wet himself laughing if you told him he'd enjoy knocking about snapping anything and everything far more.

16. Done_rundleCams

I'm still trying to find a style :eek: ..... take from this past Saturday for instance ...

This ...

July 1-17-AP-Sat-JS032681 copy.jpg

Then This

July 1-17-AP-Sat-JRSP6749 copy.jpg

to This

July 1-17-AP-Sat-JRSP6785 copy.jpg

and, then, this ...

July 1-17-AP-Sat-JRSP6854 copy.jpg

and, from a few weeks ago, whilst walking home from work ...

June19-17-AP-Mon-JS030527 copy (2) copy 2.jpg

Style?? Nope, just $hite that captures my attention :D

Cheers,

Jack

17. RovingMike

Applying personal style to street is very difficult. That's why the likes of the various people who flash in people's faces etc get noticed. They have to do something quite extreme these days. Erwitt of course stood out in another age and HCB did in a way. But you don't get too many real winners in a lifetime. Most people couldn't recognise more than half a dozen outstanding HCB shots, if that.

Definitions of style seem to have migrated from what one observes, to how one executes.

Your first above could become something, but will you live long enough to find a dozen more of that ilk?

18. Dion 47

Great photos you must know him well to quote him. You have done it again never sad anything about shooting anything and everything. I only stop and take notice
    If you are into street photography I think the best time is very early when every one is just up and on the move to wherever they are going rain snow or that low shaft of light . NO SHIT !!

19. Dion 47

20. Dion 47

This might add fuel to the fire. When you look at people with a style its like a roundabout after a time they come full circle and start covering what they have already done.. Not many options left
    I looked at Rui Palha flickr site and they are GREAT photos but this is the effect they had on me.( better than I could DO). I will get ready to duck. I think James Ravilious is worth looking at more about lives and time than style. JUST HOW I SEE THING

Last edited: Jul 4, 2017