1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should you impose your style, or honestly reflect differences?

Discussion in 'Talking Pictures' started by RovingMike, Nov 18, 2013.

1. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

That is a bit way out for a wedding. Would loved to have seen my wifes' face when they came back.

In the old days, they would have come back from snappySnaps with advisory stickers all over them! :)

2. dream_police

Absolutely, it is nice to see someone with their own style, but when the photograph is taken for memory reasons as opposed to strictly art then not so good, IMHO only of course.

Catriona likes this.
  3. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Oh, these were the informal ones - done by request, though, of the couple!

PS It does prove the point, however, that there's only so far we would go to stamp our own style in certain circumstances.

4. Dion 47

Dion 47 Well-Known Member

5. Dion 47

Shoot what you see and record how you felt on the day Sad happy etc

Done_rundleCams likes this.
  6. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

I agree with the "shoot what you see ..", Dion, but, as for how one felt is, IMHO, irrelevant :)

Cheers,

Jack

7. Dion 47

WHAT does IMHO stand for also where do you live in Canada

8. Dion 47

OF to The Rockies September any tips (was born North Bay)

9. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

10. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Shoot what you see = do what you do / execute your style and ignore any objectivity. Fair enough, was one of the options.

11. Done_rundleCams

IMHO - In My Humble Opinion and I live in the No-Fun City, IMO ;), aka Vancouver, British Columbia aka The Wet Coast :D

Cheers,

Jack

12. Done_rundleCams

Shoot lots, Dion :) , regardless of feelings or weather ;) As for tips, take a couple of good sized memory cards and for
    places -- here's a link for Travel Alberta and the top/most popular are Banff, Lake Louise and Jasper with Banff being
    the most popular mainly because it's the closest to a large city (Calgary) and, IMO, Lake Louise being the most
    picturesque and, my personal favourite, being Jasper :), mainly because it's possibly/probably the least visited :D

the Link: https://www.travelalberta.com/ca/places-to-go/canadian-rockies/ and possibly the prettiest lake, anywhere,
    is Moraine Lake (in the Banff / Lake Louise area) .... https://www.banfflakelouise.com/moraine-lake

As well, September is a better time to go because, IMO, it's the starting of "off season" and there should be
    fewer tourists ;) and, hopefully, there shouldn't be (m)any snow storms :D

Cheers,

Jack

13. Dion 47

Thanks for that I am staying at Jasper + river side lodge mount robson

14. Dion 47

For street-ground level photography etc look at my website briandionphotos.com + the slingpod

15. Dion 47

I have been taking photos for about 55 yrs if you stick to a style you miss everything that's going on around you . A open mind see's everything as it is and not what you can turn it into

16. RovingMike

True but that's the essence of the question. The most successful photographers ignore everything around them that does not fit with their style, world view, or whatever. Why would the world need a landscape, or macro of a bug, from Martin Parr? And if Parr turned his sardonic view of people towards places, would they have any value whatever as representations of the place, or would they be essentially artificial misrepresentations?

17. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

To see if he can actually photograph anything else and isn't just a one trick pony?.....[​IMG]

18. RovingMike

Why?

If you can earn a bundle from one trick, why do you need another?

19. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Not everyone's actions are driven by greed so it does distort the discussion to reduce it to that level. The joy of amateur photography is that you do whatever you wish and make the pictures you want. Some times you might want to stick to one style and other times you might want to try some other approach.

20. dream_police

Earning a bundle doesn't necessarily signify greed. If he earns a bundle from what he or anyone does then good luck to them. If a person is good at what they do and are happy doing what they do and make a decent or very good living from that, why change?

Geren likes this.