1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should the stock D3300 lens have A/M and VR on/off sliders?

Discussion in 'Nikon Chat' started by kingmustard, May 3, 2016.

1. kingmustard

kingmustard Active Member

I have just bought a Nikon D3300 to replace my Nikon D3100.

Both came with a 18-55mm lens.

My D3100 lens had A/M and VR on/off sliders on it..

The lens that came with the D3300 doesn't.

Is that normal?

EDIT: This YouTube unboxing video shows the lens with the A/M and VR on/off sliders. How much worse is my lens, that doesn't have them?

Last edited: May 3, 2016
  2. londonbackpackr

londonbackpackr Well-Known Member

What is the name on the lens

VR will give you maybe a couple of stops in low light, I think you should at least have A/M on the the lens

Can you post a picture of the lens?

3. kingmustard

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This website states:

"AF-P is the designation used to distinguish these new lenses from Nikon's existing AF-S models. The full model name is 'AF-P DX NIKKOR 18–55mm f/3.5–5.6G' and the only difference between the two new AF-P models is that the cheaper lens does not have Nikon's VR image stabilization system.

Both lenses have a retracting mechanism that saves space and bulk when they're not being used. This was first seen on the 18-55mm VR II lens that first appeared with the Nikon D3300. But Nikon's also saved weight and bulk by ditching the AF/MF and VR switches on the lens barrel. Instead, these options are set via a menu on the camera body."

Does this mean that I have the poorest stock lens?

4. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Some sellers sell the camera with the cheaper lens, it appeals to those who are buying purely on price. If you still have the D3100 you can use the VR lens that came with that. Nikon kit lenses are usually reasonable, but VR is useful, it adds quite considerably to the cost though. If it isn't marked VR, it isn't VR.

5. londonbackpackr

Yea, looks like the non VR

6. kingmustard

Just returned it and ordered it from Amazon UK, instead.

7. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

It appears that the camera came with a new style lens: the AF-P 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 DX. According to the Nikon website it has a stepper motor but does not have a manual A/M switch. AF/MF has to be set via the camera menus - a really REALLY STUPID idea I'd say, take an essential option and make it horrendously difficult to access... There is also a VR version of this lens but I guess you didn't get that one.

Hope you checked what lens was being offered on Amazon - you could end up getting the same again...

Ah, I note that Amazon page offers the VR version however, according to the Nikon website, that lens also lacks switches for AF and VR and needs to be accessed via the menus. It also seems that back compatibility is limited which is typical Nikon these days - back compatibility of too much modern Nikon gear is poor to non-existent which is probably why they still lag behind Canon...:(

Last edited: May 4, 2016
  8. kingmustard

Click the link above, has VR in the title. Almost guarantees the VR lens :)

9. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Still won't have the on-lens controls as it's an AF-P version.

10. kingmustard

I guess.

I can't do much about it. if two large UK retailers only sell the poorer version, that's what I'll have to deal with :(

11. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Why not keep your current AF-S VR version and simply order the D3300 body only?

12. kingmustard

It's my dad's D3100.

It's being sold as the body + lens.

13. LesTele

LesTele Well-Known Member

14. londonbackpackr

Why not just swap out the lens

15. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Probably worth trying BUT the Nikon website does mention that these new lenses have poor back compatibility and may not work with older cameras...

londonbackpackr likes this.
  16. LesTele

LesTele Well-Known Member

17. Snorri

Snorri Well-Known Member

Sorry to say this, another thing about the D3xxx and D5xxx I really don't like. Not that I would have bought one before...

18. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Fault's not the in the bodies but in the stupidity of the lens design and the people behind it...

19. kainwilliam

kainwilliam New Member

Very informative thread.