1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'Should I Join a Camera Club ? '

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by PeteE, Jun 12, 2019.

1. PeteE

PeteE Well-Known Member

My latest VIDEO 'Should I Join a Camera Club/ '

daft_biker likes this.
  2. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

My wife is doing her hardest to make me join one in September. She was speaking to the guy who runs it last week (he values the cameras that come into the Oxfam shop she volunteers in). He is an ex copper too, and I've found out that there is another ex cop also in the club, who I know of old. She might actually win.

ascu75 and EightBitTony like this.
  3. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Depends on your reason. Companionship or competition?

4. dream_police

Something to do is her idea!

If I do, it will be more companionship than comp I think.

5. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

I've tried a couple in the past. Just not my cup of tea.

Derek W and Catriona like this.
  6. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I might go along to ours come September to see what happens.

7. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

I think that I would prefer a photographic society rather than a camera club.

8. Catriona

I've always found there is a clique of founder members who are utter bores, feel they know best and are terribly put out if they don't win all the judges praises.
    Things might be different for you though. My experience only.

ascu75 and Derek W like this.
  9. Catriona

Haha! She just wants you out from under her feet. ;) (Only kidding).
    I think 'something to do' should be something entirely different to anything you would normally turn to. Art, metalwork, help build something book club for example.
    Good luck!

ascu75 and dream_police like this.
  10. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Regional activities of the RPS seem far-flung. The "Societies" are more commercially oriented. What other photographic societies are there?

Catriona likes this.
  11. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

I have never joined one and given all the stick they get on this and other forums, probably never will. But if I should join, even if I avoid getting sucked into competitions, I will probably learn something, which is tempting. If it is full of ex-coppers would be an added bonus!

12. Derek W

Derek W Well-Known Member

Sounds similar to the one I had the misfortune to join, was only there for a few weeks before deciding it was not for me.

Catriona likes this.
  13. dream_police

The one she is trying to get me to join is a photographic society. Is there a difference?

14. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Only if you are a snob:)
    Like Dave I was secretary of our school photographic society. In my case for two years while in the sixth form. We had a darkroom with an enlarger which had been donated by an old Leodiensian.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
  15. PeteE

PeteE Well-Known Member

As I say in Video -- there is NO DIFFERENCE between 'Camera Clubs', 'Photographic Societies' or 'Photographic Clubs' -- Our School Photo=soc got an enlarger - it was a 'Gnome Universal' - teh lens had 2 stops -- f 11 and f16 so was DIM BUt I managed to do a Half Plate Print of my Mum taken on the Kodak Brownie Hawkeye Box on the ex-RAF film I mentioned and i took it home wet in 2 sheets of School Graph paper -- it still has the GREEN LINES on it ----
    [​IMG]My First ENLARGEMENT ! by Peter Elgar, on Flickr
    1st Contact Print I ever did at East Ham Grammar School Photo-Soc -- I am in foreground holding an oar with hand up to eye.
    [​IMG]My first 'Contact Print by Peter Elgar, on Flickr

daft_biker likes this.
  16. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

After years of not wanting to join a club, I joined BMBCC last year.
    Friendly bunch, willing to help others, and more than a few are possibly certifiable. I’ve learned a lot in twelve months and seen some serious quality photography.

Should have done it years ago.

S

ascu75 likes this.
  17. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

Depends on where you live: once outside of urban areas, you nearest club might be a long way from home, much like galleries and photographic shops. But for me urban living is too high a price to pay for having all these things near to home.

18. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

I have belonged to two. The first was really good with friendly helpful members but unfortunately folded due to shrinking membership. There second one fitted Kate's description in post #8 . After my move I have not been keen to find another

19. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

I went to my local camera club to see what I thought. Never went back.

20. RobertCoombes

RobertCoombes Well-Known Member

You have joined this one.

John Farrell likes this.