1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I continue to invest in DSLRs?

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by Bazarchie, Oct 14, 2019.

1. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

The EVF is unlike an optical finder in that it cannot display as much detail as the sensor can record, an optical finder can. Foe an EVF to be better than an optical finder it would have to have at least the same resolution as the sensor, in my opinion, and I don't see a 24 x 36mm 46MP display appearing just yet. The better qualified physicists may well be ready to prove me wrong on that.

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

My eyes can't see anything like that much detail in so small a space. I can't see the difference between a 240 and 300 dpi print and my monitor appears "dotless" and that's (I think, I didn't go look it up) 1200x1080 pixels and 21 inch across the diagonal.

Where EVF's (based on my Fuji cameras) have some way to go is 1) blanking interval - latest is already pretty close to that of a DSLR 2) tone reproduction in poor light -in presenting a wysiwyg view they tend to get very contrasty and blue - perhaps they don't use 8 bit per channel for speed. 3) power consumption - currently more than the rear LCD. 4) refresh rate - not an issue if not shooting high speed sport and I've only once been aware of it.

I have a Fuji XE-2 (AP said it was the best EVF they had seen at the time) and a XH-1 - the improvement in the EVF has been astounding. 1) Blanking period has essentially vanished. 2) Colour reproduction is better. 3) Power consumption isn't so much of an issue now as the XH-1 with grip takes three batteries. 4) I don't use boost EVF mode on the XH-1 and have only once felt the EVF is of step. On the XE-2 taking action shots is a no-no.

I still prefer the optical finder on my Canons (though compared to the finder on my 6x6 SLR they are rubbish) but it is getting close. Being able to see the effect of exposure compensation is the overwhelming useful EVF feature. If only the viewfinder image quality in poor light could match that in good light.

3. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Funny you should say that, because just today the rumours sites are confidently predicting a 5D V.

4. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Having read the blurb about the 90D I was more wondering if we will see a 5Ds II - if Canon can cram 32.5Mp onto an APS sensor then 80+ shouldn't be a problem on 35mm...

5. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I'm not going to predict what everyone will do, but I can safely predict that Canon will continue to produce DSLRs for as long as they are profitable. I don't claim to understand Nikon or anyone else, but I do know Canon; after FD, they will never again abandon customers, and they will not attempt to force customers to change.

Personally, I'm happy using DSLRs and mirror less together. EVFs are good in low light, OVFs much better in bright light. Pros and cons to each type, and we're still at least 5 years away from EVFs being as good under all circumstances. I love my travel kit, tiny but respectable - haven't had anything like it since film days and my Leica CL.

6. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

To be honest, I think that's unlikely - given the step up with RF lens resolution, it's likely to be just there.

7. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Hmmm, an EOS Rs....

Shall we start a rumour?....:D

8. PeteRob

What a coincidence! Not much to go on though - Q4 2020 with a R-whatever-it-is mk ii in tandem. Wonder what they will change for the better.

9. PeteRob

80+ on 35 mm is same pixel density as current on m4/3 cameras.

10. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

It's coming next year, according again to the rumour sites.

11. PeteRob

Seemingly one of the older rumours !

12. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Indeed. I have absolutely no reason to doubt this one.

13. PeteRob

No, it all seemed a very consistent story. It's fun looking at the rumours site. I don't usually bother. An R that would replace my 1D iv at 30 MP APS-H equivalent - which 80 MP would exceed - with a really good viewfinder is something I'd consider.

14. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Back to the original question. If one only buys a camera to meet a requirement not met by what we have already then we would not be following trends but buying what we want.
    In my case I am already very satisfied with what I have but might be tempted by a particular full frame DSLR.
    Something that would push me towards mirrorless would be Nikon at last updating the 200mm macro lens, but as a Z system lens.
    Mirrorless I think does have some advantages for macro because of ease of focussing in poor light but this in itself is not enough to force a change.

15. John King

John King Well-Known Member

To be honest since I graduated part time into the Digital scene (I still prefer film, but that is another story) My Nikon D700 will easily print up to A3 (and bigger) as well as my D600 using the same lenses. I, for the life of me cannot see the point in going any further. Even my 7/8 year old FUJI X20 will print to A3 so long as I don't include large areas of sky where I get obvious grain. (AKA noise)

Unless of course you look at it from the manufacturers point of view. Brand 'A' make a new model - it is the absolute bees knees - it has X x 2 the resolution of the previous, but very similar model. It has a new processor and it looks sleek and pretty and cost the same as the GNP of a small sub Saharan country. For the first few months it sells like hot cakes, It is a real MUST HAVE model because your photography will be rubbish otherwise. Then it starts to tail off because another manufacturer, let us call it Brand 'B', has brought out another one which is, so they claim, better than anything else. A slightly higher DPI, more exposures per battery charge and even more exposures before the buffer is full. Oh yes in the meantime, the initial price of brand 'A' has now dropped to less than 2/3rds of the price it was when first launched.

So Brand 'A' now has to get it's R&D working overtime again and lo, they produce another similar model to the last, but with a suffix letter, let us call it model S+. The differences are slight, possibly small niggles in the previous camera have been ironed out. The launch price is again sky high but it sells well for the first few months

Meanwhile in the R&D department of brand 'B' have not been asleep...……..I am sure you get the general idea.

The manufacturers are there for the sole purpose of selling cameras to the buying public - no more - no less and the general public will continue to pay out for these and fill the makers coffers. Yes the improvements are a good point, but do we really need the models to change every few months?
    The manufacturers would say yes - if only to keep their accountants happy, I would say no - to keep my bank manager happy. Look how long Nikon kept their F2 in production or Canon had their equivalent being used by professionals for at least a decade.

I look at my 40 year old Minolta twin lens reflex or my 12 year old Nikon F100, or even older Nikon F601 and know that they will still produce the goods as they have always done. It may take more work to get the 'goods' but that is my preference.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
  16. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

Take away equipment reviews and there would be little left to read in many [monthly] magazines.

17. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Equipment reviews are harmless when the vast majority of the kit reviewed isn't compatible with what you already have :D

This week's review of the Nikon 58 f0.95 is interesting but it won't make me buy a mirrorless Nikon, even if they gave one away free with the lens.

18. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

Re. the last line of your comment - I would replace 'work' with 'skill, experience and patience'. Perhaps this is why many of use enjoy using some older hardware. Personally, I always look at the price of a reviewed camera body or lens before deciding if I want to read the review. This greatly reduces time spent reading reviews of new stuff that will be replaced with an 'improved' model within a year or two (month or two for Sony?), and leaves more time for other stuff in AP. Also, when a round of APOY images are in AP, I am much more impressed with a picture taken with older and cheaper kit than I am with an image taken with a recent-model expensive full frame DSLR or mirrorless camera. I know that comments like this always attract unflattering comments from some other Forum members...

19. John King

John King Well-Known Member

Yes your choice of words in the 1st sentence more accurately expresses what I wanted to say. As well as your last sentence which I concur with exactly. I haven't gone through a 50+ year 'apprenticeship' to come away not knowing what I prefer.

20. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

Wait for the comments - my previous use of the 's' (skill) word has provoked reactions that suggest it is the photographic equivalent of something elitist that I should be ashamed of.