1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I Change my Canon 1300D

Discussion in 'Beginner's Corner' started by Pandora, Jun 3, 2019.

1. Pandora

Pandora Member

I’ve had my Canon 1300d for a year, it’s been a great beginners camera and I’m really happy with it. A friend has offered to sell me their Canon 5dii (body only) as they have upgraded. Firstly how much of a better camera is this compared to what I have, will my lenses be compatible and how much should I expect to pay. Thanks

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Your lenses won't fit. You can use EF lenses (which the 5D series use) on your 1300 D but you cannot use EFS lenses on Canon full frame or APS-H bodies (older 1D cameras).

"Better" is a horrible word. Fitness for purpose is the main thing. I use 5D series cameras. They work for me but they are big, heavy and to get the most you need 'L' lenses. The 5Dii is old now. I'd expect you to find it a step backward but I don't know how recent the 1300D is.

Check LCE website, or any of AP advertisers, for used prices. I'd guess about £300 with a six month warranty. The warranty is important - my 3 year old 5Ds is currently being mended - £700 bill expected - that was the estimate.

3. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

Speaking as a Canon FF user I think that you need a good reason to move up from a crop sensor such as the 1300D. In my case it was low light performance but the cons of, weight, size and expense are real. Until then just consider a new lens - possibly an EF one in preparation

4. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

If you're happy with the camera, and it does what you want, why change?

5. Snorri

Snorri Well-Known Member

Depends on what you shoot, I have not jumped on the FF wagon as I use longer lenses. The crop factor of the APS-C comepared to the FF gives a huge atvantage on weight and size, not to mention that a 70-200 L lens is much cheaper than a 70-300 L for same reach.

6. Pandora

Pandora Member

Thanks for the replies everyone. You confirmed my gut feeling which was to stay with my 1300d which I’m happy with and I’m enjoying and invest in a better secondhand lens instead. I will put a few of my pictures up for your thoughts and opinions.

7. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

I assume you have the 18-55 mm kit lens that came with the camera body. If you tell us what type of secondhand lens you want to try (wide angle, telephoto, etc.), or what type of subject you want to photograph that your current lens cannot do, we can offer some advice. Also, of course, your budget.

I too have an APS-C camera body, and have a variety of lenses all purchased secondhand over the last 10 years.

8. Pandora

Pandora Member

Yes I have the 18-55mm kit lens as well as a couple of secondhand lenses;-

Canon 55-250mm 1:4-5.6
    Tamron 18-270mm F./3.5-6.3

I mainly take photos of my dogs and horses and the horses in action showjumping e.g Hickstead. I also like taking photos of wildlife mostly birds but whatever I spot.

I think I just want to make sure I have the right lenses for these subjects or details of any other lenses which would be preferable to use. My budget would be a few hundred.

9. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Unless you're prepared to spend big money I don't feel there's a lot to be gained from changing what you already have with regards wildlife and showjumping. The 55-250mm is pretty good for its price. I don't think you'll gain much by going to a 70-300mm. Realistically you're looking at Canon's 100-400L or the longer offerings from Sigma or Tamron.

10. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I agree. If you are always going to use the long end (e.g. for birds) the old Canon 400 mm F5.6 L is a much lighter alternative to the 100-400 L but it might be too long for horses. A zoom is more flexible. In either case you are getting into quite serious money, though the first version of the 100-400L might be less s/h. The mk ii is a much better lens, and when it was released the s/h market was flooded with used first versions. They are very heavy and need support, like a monopod, if they are in use for any length of time.

11. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

MJB and PeteRob have made replies similar to what I would say. All I would add is that I have a Tamron 18-250 (the previous model to your 18-270) and its major weakness is that the image quality at 150-250 mm is not as good as at shorter focal lengths. I my experience this means that prints up to 30 x 45 cm look OK if in perfect focus, whereas at 18-150 mm I can get decent prints at 50 x 75 cm. So if you want to get large prints, and regularly use the long end of the 18-270 zoom, a secondhand 300 mm prime might give better results for showjumping or birds. However, again from experience using an APS-C camera body similar to yours, even a 300 mm may be too short for bird photography. To summarise, unless you want to get large prints, I'd stick with the lenses you have and continue to make sure you get the best possible results from them.

Perhaps, if you have the funds, you should spend them on travelling somewhere where you can use the kit you currently have on subjects that inspire you, rather than giving in to the upgrade bug in the belief that more hardware will help you take better pictures.

Finally, if you use your zoom 18-270 at the longer settings, make sure you use a decent (long) lens hood. The 'petal' hood supplied with my 18-250, and presumably also with your 18-270, is useless beyond 30-40 mm focal length. Look for 'folding rubber lens hood' on Amazon and you find stuff like this - I've used these for years on an 18-250 and a 17-70. They also offer very good protection from damage to the front of your lens and are not expensive. But make sure you get one with the right size filter thread to fit your lens.

www.amazon.co.uk/Phot-R-Professional-Collapsible-Universal-Multi-Lens/dp/B00IAPI8GK/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=folding+rubber+lens+hood&qid=1560283781&s=electronics&sr=1-3

Have fun, and consider putting some of your best shots in the AP gallery for us to admire.