1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Short cut to Brighton

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Brian, Sep 9, 2017.

1. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

Every six weeks we spend a week in Brighton. It's about 270 miles via M1, M25 and M23, not a bad run but I hate the M25.......who doesn't? So the other day I found out that weekends and at night London congestion charges don't apply and that both our cars are exempt from emission charge.

In the old days , pre M25 I used to enjoy driving through London , Sundays at the right time were usually fairly quiet. So on Sunday we are going to give it a try, at a guess it's also about thirty miles shorter, quite honestly it's worth trying.

Of course this could all be avoided if somebody requires a couple to house sit a Brighton property on a permanent basis.:)

Last edited: Sep 9, 2017
  2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Good luck! I find driving in London, even the outer bits, fairly exhausting. I agree about the M25!

3. IvorCamera

IvorCamera Well-Known Member

When I used to drive to Brighton in 1984 yes 84 it was a long time ago I hated it but I was driving a HGV fully loaded and coming back empty the M25 was not completed then and I tried all sorts of ways to get there but I still prefered driving through London and yes that was a nightmare, there was no easy route in those days but again there was no rush to get there and back in a day, I used to make my return journey the following day, the best thing I ever done in my working life was to give my HGV licences up and seek alternative employment....oh by the way I travelled from Birmingham.

4. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I actually find that after about 8:00 on a Friday evening the M25 isn't too bad but coming back the other way on a Sunday afternoon it is a nightmare.

5. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

In the sixties I could get from the north circular and as far as Baker st with out going through a traffic light. Even then, London was bogged solid during rush hour. That has extended to 24/7. Now I simply don't go to or past London.

I can not imagine what the attraction would have to be, for me, to travel all the way to Brighton every six weeks.
    My daughter and her husband take regular trips around the country, and now rarely drive . They fly wherever they can and otherwise take a train, and rent the other end.

You can fly Manchester Brighton in 2 1/2 hours for £50+ ,and have as much time down there and save more than a day travel time and all the tiredness that goes with it. five nights down there is equivalent to a week by car, and you save the hotel cost for at least one night. Or have more time to enjoy the place.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2017
  6. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

I'm betting you regret it. M25 at the right time is going to be best. At the wrong time, worst. Cross-London somewhere in between.

7. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

Try bunging the journey into Google Maps. You don't have to take their route but it may give you some useful info.

8. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

Oh yes it will come up with M25, but whoever programmed it has never driven on it.

9. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what you need to do, but I find Google will give me options between places - fastest, shortest (may take longer) and sometimes another option. I think the fastest option takes in to account the current state of the road network. (I assume you use Google Maps Traffic to see your local hold-ups and contractor's works? Here's a link to that for my local area - the red tinted roads vary with how the traffic is flowing.)
    https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.0637156,-0.752441,12z/data=!5m1!1e1

10. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

Malcolm my Sat Nav comes up with three routes, via the M25 then through London, then a weird one that. comes off the M1 heads towards Southampton, this adds 45min and 40 miles to the journey.

But thanks for the link I'll have a look.

11. Malcolm_Stewart

The Southampton route sounds as though it might be the A34 - normally an excellent route. I'm probably going to use it tomorrow to get me from Milton Keynes to Fernhurst, West Sussex. My recent and frequent memories of being sat in the M25 car park (even on a Sunday) are forcing me to find a different route - we'd like to get to the event before they take down their stalls..

12. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

That's the one, but the A27 (?) can also be a nightmare.

13. Malcolm_Stewart

You don't say! We were in Brighton a few weeks ago and were trying to get to our overnight hotel in Havant. Initially we enjoyed the English south coast seaside & architecture, but then we got to Chichester... ...gridlock. Fortunately my partner managed to route us away from yet another major jam, via quiet country lanes, and we were able to enjoy the evening sun in Havant before our meal.

14. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

Good luck Brian, as mentioned above London can be a nightmare at anytime. The route planning apps can be tailored to your needs e.g. avoid motorways and you can add via points.

15. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

As can the M25.

About six weeks ago we were stuck Southbound and people were getting out of taxi cabs etc and running with their suitcases trying to catch their holiday flights. On the way back we were stuck for two hours and never did see what had caused the problem

16. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

Catching the train I assume is not an option?

If not the Southampton route is worth a try.

17. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

Trains £257 cheapest or Iso class £912!!!!!!!!! costs a tankful of petrol in the wife's Nini Cooper S.

But I do think Iwe shall try the Southampton route on the way back.

18. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I know many a back road route to my Mother's house near Washington (W Sussex) but the problem with all such routes is that they are much slower than a clear M25 so the journey time doubles. The M25 is actually doing what it was built to do, it relieves the smaller roads of heavy traffic, the problem is that it can't cope with the demand.

19. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

If using the A34, to Winchester why not try the A272, through Petersfield, Billingshurst, joining A23 just north of Hickstead, I've used part of it going from Bournemouth to the Bluebell railway/East Grinstead; Joined A272 at Petersfield; not a fast road but less busy than A27