1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shooting a Wedding...

Discussion in 'Help Team' started by beatnik69, Mar 15, 2017.

Tags:
  1. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

I know all the advice is don't do it but unfortunately I've been roped into this (I did say no initially and advised them to hire a pro). I've been wondering about the order of shooting the photos after the ceremony. I can't remember how the photographer did it at my wedding so was wondering if it would be best to get the entire congregation and wedding party together and do the group shot first, then do the smaller groups (families, bride & bridesmaids etc) or leave the large group shot 'til last. I was thinking to do the large group first so that it gets everyone together and then people who aren't needed for the other shots can drift off.
    What way have an members who have shot weddings done it.

Cheers

2. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

EightBitTony likes this.
  3. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

I'd do the group shots first. People get bored quite quickly and it will be easier to wrangle them early on. Also it means they can get to the reception venue and be settled ready to welcome the happy couple.

4. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I'm afraid the answer is "it depends". If you're taking them at the wedding venue, then it's generally better that way round. If at the reception venue, it can be easier to do the bride and groom shots first before dragging people out of the venue. Weather can also change your choice. Whatever makes them all easier to handle;.

5. beatnik69

Thanks gents. I've been looking through a lot of tips like the ones Andrew linked to but didn't find anything about the order to shoot in... until about 5 minutes after I posted this and then, naturally, I found one that confirmed what I thought.
    MJB, that was exactly my thinking.

Cheers

Gary

6. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

I put up a Wedding Shot list a year or three back. Try a search for it. It can be used as a chronological guide to the day.

7. beatnik69

Thanks Oly, I'll take a look. I do have a list made out but it's not in order.

8. 0lybacker

Let me know if you cannot find it and I will add a copy to this Thread. 'Tis the season for it, after all. If you start with the Bride at home, get away to ahead of her to church (after staging a car shot), then Groom &BM, talk to Vicar about what he will allow it all starts to fall into a logical sequence.

Then it can all start to fall apart with people going AWOL, being late or difficult and that last includes the weather. Good luck.

9. beatnik69

I was speaking to the couple at the weekend. She said that I could go to her hotel at around 10 am then meet the chaps after that. The wedding isn't until 3pm so I'll have time to go to the church and check it out. If this sounds a bit last minute it's because the wedding is in Lisbon so at least the weather should be the least of my worries. :D

10. beatnik69

Found it just in case anyone else is looking for something similar..

Brides home/leaving venue:
    Bride with siblings, Bride with parents & siblings
    Bride, various poses
    Bride with Mother, ditto putting on jewellery or veil
    Bridesmaids, ditto with Bride and veil, ditto comparing flowers
    Bride with Flower Girl & Page Boy, ditto individually
    Bride with Father, ditto at door, ditto with car
    Bride with both parents

Near the church:
    Groom, ditto with siblings, ditto with parents, ditto with both
    Best Man, ditto with Groom/Groom’smen
    Groom, Best Man, Groom’smen, Ushers walking to church

At the church doorway:
    Groom & Best Man, Groom’smen, ditto plus Ushers
    Bride in car, emerging from car with Father, out of car with Father, walking to church
    Father with Bride, Vicar, Bridesmaids, Flower Girl and Page Boy

In the church:
    Bride and Father processing down aisle
    Couple from rear of church
    Congregation during hymn
    Ring exchange
    Couple with Register, ditto with Clergy & certificate
    Recessional - Couple leaving altar
    Couple in doorway from inside, ditto kissing

Outside church:
    Bride, various; Groom various, together various
    Couple at church door, ditto plus attendants, ditto plus both sets of parents

Outside the church:
    Confetti (away from doorways)
    Couple with car, ditto in car

At the reception venue:
    Couple with car
    Couple with cake
    Couple receiving guests
    Couple with 1) Bride’s immediate family, 2) with aunts and uncles, 3) with cousins
    Couple with 1) Groom’s immediate family including grandparents, 2) with aunts, uncles and cousins together
    Couple with all relatives, ditto with all friends
    Couple with Bridesmaids, Page Boys, Best Man and Ushers
    Top table, table detail shots
    Couple alone together for romantic shots

Shot of cake/of church/of Bouquet/of Rings/of Shoes/of back of Bride’s dress/of car

11. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Assuming that at least one of the happy couple is a very close friend or family member I would rather pay an awful lot of money for a pro just to get out of this. I have no idea what the going rate is. Would a £1000 do it? For that I'd want the chance to take a few candids on the side.

12. 0lybacker

Lisbon? Oh dear! It rains a lot in Lisbon. Some good graphic backgrounds, though. Check out the work of Rui Palha. He's a bit of a rain ace but I like the way he uses topography, the way he designs his images. https://www.flickr.com/people/ruipalha/?rb=1 . He's a good shooter.

13. IvorCamera

IvorCamera Well-Known Member

Theres a lot more to shooting weddings than just taking pictures, you have to know your equipment (cameras and flash) inside out, then you have to know how to control people, if its your friends only charge for costs give them the pictures for free as a wedding present! and make it clear you are not a wedding photographer, you have already received instructions on here of roughly the order in which to shoot the wedding so I will skip this out, when the shoot is over copy all the pictures twice on to hardrives while leaving the originals on the sd or cf card, just in case of mishaps, then with one set of copies start sorting the very best pictures out, do not delete any at this stage, when you have a decent selection of pictures transfer these onto another hardrive and then set about making them better in photoshop or what ever editing programme you have, when all is done copy these onto a cd or memory stick then hand them over to the couple its at this point when you will know if they are still your friends, at a later date if the couple wish they can have more cds off you and maybe have some pictures printed out and put in a album if they wish to.....of course there is two more simpler ways of shooting weddings tell the couple to hire a pro wedding photographer or just simply hand your sd or cf cards to the couple after the shoot.......

Roger Hicks likes this.
  14. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Barely. A friend of ours started at £2500 and the most she ever charged was over £10,000.

Both of my weddings relied on friends for pics. It didn't make a blind bit of difference to either marriage. I'm damn' glad I DIDN'T pay anyone.

And I've photographed the weddings of 5-10 friends (as wedding presents). All but one couple (who "had" to get married 40+ years ago) are still married.

Cheers,

R.

Benchista likes this.
  15. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I do have one friend who used to post here that charges a grand, but he's the only decent photographer I know that's that cheap - and obviously he would charge expenses on top, and there are no actual prints included in that price, just low-res images on a USB stick and the option to buy prints online. I think it's very light given the post processing necessary. He charges a fair bit more for a more traditional package, though. Most wedding pros I know that are any good start at or around that £2,500 mark.

16. beatnik69

I did say no originally and advised them to hire a pro and only ask me if they absolutely couldn't get anyone they wanted, but they came back a few months later and asked me again so I had to say yes more or less. I'm not charging but it will be our wedding gift to them. I'll do a few prints and maybe a book.

17. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

I wish you the best of luck, it is a big commitment. Take at least two cameras and spares of everything. Enjoy Lisbon.

Roger Hicks and beatnik69 like this.
  18. beatnik69

Cheers Bazarchie. If anything, it will be an interesting experience. Whether or not it'll be one I'll wish to repeat remains to be seen. ;)

Roger Hicks likes this.
  19. beatnik69

All over. That was tough! I don't think I'd fancy doing another wedding. The bride was rather late getting ready (service was supposed to be at 3pm and she was only putting the dress on at five to) and as I was at the hotel with her it meant I didn't have time to get over to shoot the guys (his and her accommodation was within 10 minutes walking distance of the church so they chaps were only getting ready at about 2pm). I think I did a reasonably good job. Light was terrible as it was bright sunshine in 27 degree heat in Portugal. I'm not totally happy with the quality of the images from a technical standpoint but they seem to like what they have seen. Here is my favourite shot from the day.
    [​IMG]John_Aoife-9 by Gary Robinson Photography, on Flickr

Learning and EightBitTony like this.
  20. Lesley Bonney

Lesley Bonney New Member

My Dad has asked me to take his and I forewarned him I could mess this up. I take photos of animals. I told him I will give it a go but would help if he wore furry ears lol as I can 'see' creatively then. Seriously though, stressed about it.

EightBitTony likes this.