1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sex segregation at school

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Malcolm_Stewart, Oct 13, 2017.

1. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

I imagine we've all seen the headlines that a Birmingham school has been ruled illegal, by no less than the Court of Appeal, for segregating its male and female pupils. But, but we still have segregated boys and girls schools - they surely must fail the same test.

I went to an all boys school, and somehow I've survived, so it can't be that bad. Is this PC gone mad? Or will the Supreme Court reverse the decision?

2. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

I thought it was the Supreme Court had made the latest decision?

S

3. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

I did at first, and I then noted that the TV coverage was from outiside the High Courts of Justice.

I still don't understand the point being made - if it's wrong for a single school attended by both sexes, it must be just as wrong for all of the single sex schools scattered around the country.

4. steveandthedogs

That question came up on R4 news at 13:00. I think it may be considered. Goodbye to theEton old boy network?

S

5. IvorCamera

IvorCamera Well-Known Member

I went to an all boys school too here in Birmingham, the girls school was right next door to it and it was divided by a six foot fence. I too don't see why this subject managed to go to court, could it be leading up to something to do with mixed hospital wards. The world's gone mad, roll on Brexit....

6. steveandthedogs

What has Brexit got to do with it? This is a UK matter, mixed up with religion. If I had the power, all religion, no matter what variety, would be kept well away from schools.

I wonder what mixed hospital wards have to do with it as well?

S

Geren and Andrew Flannigan like this.
  7. IvorCamera

Mixed hospital wards, some people don't like them to be mixed! Brexit was just added everybody seems to bite when that word is mentioned...

8. steveandthedogs

I know people don't like mixed wards. What have they to do with the question of mixed schools?

S

9. IvorCamera

It all started with single sex wards and the powers that be changed it to mixed sex wards. The powers that be wants all single sex schools to be mixed with all sexes.....thats how I read the opening debate......

10. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

The government banned mixed wards some years ago. Except in emergency conditions.

If the government is funding a mixed entry school, it is reasonable that pupils of both sexes get equal fascilities and opportunities.
    Which was not the case.
    It is not O.K. to teach them that women should expect to get less than men in life.
    Even if that is probably the reality for most women.

Roger Hicks likes this.
  11. Trannifan

Trannifan Well-Known Member

It cuts both ways. The topic crops up now and again in Germany and quite often the girls say that they find it easier to learn and pay attention to the lesson when there aren't any boys in the class, the boys often being inclined to disruptive behaviour.

Lynn

12. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

There are several mixed comprehensives in my area but only two single sex schools and they are grammar schools. What choice does that leave parents/guardians?

13. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

When did the last single-sex, non-religious school open in the UK?

A lot of boys' schools started to admit girls decades ago and are now fully co-educational (including my own old school).

Girls' schools, on the other hand, have been less keen to admit boys, because girls at single-sex schools seem to do better academically than girls at co-educational schools.

Now, hand up all those who think that segregating girls and boys at a "faith" school is done just to improve the girls' academic chances.

Cheers,

R.

dream_police and Geren like this.
  14. Roger Hicks

Absolutely nothing, but as IvorCamera points out, the world has gone mad. Why else would we have Brexit? Or total non-sequiturs (not least from IvorCamera) on this thread?

Cheers,

R.

IvorCamera likes this.
  15. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Single sex schools appear to work better because they are selective and given more and better resources than comprehensives. Take away the selectivity and fund both types equally. Then I think you'll see the differences have disappeared.

16. IvorCamera

Err the school in question has been well documented in the past and it is not far from where I live, it has had all sorts of problems there, and there are a lot of things I would like to say but I wont.....please, I will quietly opt out of any more write ups on this subject, and no dont read to me the freedom of speech crap!

17. Roger Hicks

Dear Andrew,

No, I don't think so. If girls do better in single-sex schools than they do in co-educational schools, then so should boys. We do after all have a natural experiment here, in which we can compare boys' schools, girls' school, and boys and girls in mixed schools.

My own suspicion is that the girls who go to single-sex selective schools are likely to be more biddable than boys who go to single-sex schools; and I am of an age when many of my friends went to single-sex public or grammar schools.

Mind you. I've also taught at a single-sex girls' school (Merrywood in Bristol) and it was a "split-site comprehensive", formed by merging a grammar school and a secondary modern. A class of unruly girls may even be worse than a class of unruly boys.

Cheers,

R.

18. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

Mr Hicks asked :

"When did the last single-sex, non-religious school open in the UK? "

The answer is on or about 7th September this year. About five weeks ago.

Mr Hicks has me on ignore so he won't see this. Maybe someone will copy it so that he gets the answer to his question.

MickLL

19. Roger Hicks

We're not subjecting you to "the freedom of speech crap". You're the one who frequently writes in an elliptical, self-censoring manner, blaming others for what you are "not allowed to say". Why not say it?

Cheers,

R.

IvorCamera likes this.
  20. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member