1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Setting up to develop film

Discussion in 'Everything Film' started by John Farrell, Aug 9, 2018.

1. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

IMG_3755s.jpg

I use the laundry - I have 2 rolls of Kentmere 100 loaded in the tank, using a film changing bag.

spinno likes this.
  2. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

I use the bog with some black-out on the window to load and then the kitchen.

S

John Farrell likes this.
  3. John Farrell

IMG_2414s.jpg
    After processing, the films hang in the shower, to dry.

spinno likes this.
  4. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Looks good! I must have a go at lightproofing the bog, because I've got a lovely big tank that will do four rolls of 35 or two of 120, but it won't fit in the change bag.

How many decades do you reckon that bottle of Rodinal will last, then?

Adrian

John Farrell likes this.
  5. AlanW

AlanW Well-Known Member

For many years up to going digital I'd load the film into a Paterson daylight tank using a changing bag whilst sitting at the kitchen table, develop/wash/fix/wash at the kitchen sink and hang to dry in the utility room. Used the stopwatch on my watch as a timer. The darkroom (in my attic) was only needed for printing but that ceased once 35mm film scanners came along!

John Farrell likes this.
  6. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

John Farrell likes this.
  7. John Farrell

Gray - I use 12.5ml of Rodinal to do 2 films. A couple of years ago I bought 2 unopened 500ml bottles of Rodinal at an auction, so with those, and the bottle I'm using now, I have enough to do about 220 films. It'll see me out!

Roger - in my previous house, I had the laundry set up, so I could use it as a darkroom. I was going to do the same with the laundry here, but in 11 years, I haven't quite got there. Buying a film scanner made it a lower priority.

8. taxor

taxor Well-Known Member

I use my darkroom as a loo

William Parker likes this.
  9. taxor

taxor Well-Known Member

Maybe that's why all my prints are shite?

gray1720 likes this.
  10. greyowl

greyowl Member

Returning to B&W developing after decades, I got hold of a rondinax daylight loader tank which seems to work quite well. I am not bothering with a darkroom ever again so I just develop in the kitchen and hang the rolls in the conservatory to dry and then scan them.

Unfortunately, the effort of developing, scanning and printing didn't turn my photos, by magic, into anything other than the boring same old stuff I can get with a digital camera so I have stopped for the time being.

11. John Farrell

I have a collection of film cameras, and the most economical way to use them is with monochrome film. This is the why of the processing. The two films I processed were shot in an Agfa Ambi Silette, and a Pentax ME. I currently have a film in a Canon FT.

12. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

I improvised starting with an under-stairs cupboard - very smelly paraffin lamp with red filter; over hot and cool attics, board on the bath, attic again, and finally 30+ years ago, a laundry room. I fitted powered ventilation, and it's dark, as well as having running water and drainage. Pity that it now acts as a workshop as well.

13. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

I think it would see most people out!

Adrian

John Farrell and peterba like this.