1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sertraline

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Geren, Apr 24, 2019.

1. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

I would be interested to hear anyone's experiences with Sertraline. It has been suggested as a possibility for pain management as other 'usual suspects' don't seem to have any effect. I have spent a lot of time, energy and vigilance on avoiding antidepressants since the last batch almost finished me off so I am feeling exceedingly cautious but would like to hear other people's views/thoughts/anecdotal evidence.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
  2. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Were you ever given Trifluoperazine? I was prescribed it to control mood swings and found it very helpful. It seems to be impossible to obtain in Britain now so I've been switched to Prochlorperazine which is often used as a nausea suppressor. I seldom use the drug (I go several weeks without needing it) but when I do it damps down the problem very effectively with only a single dose. Of course everyone is different but depending on your exact problem it might be worth discussing with your doctor.

3. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

I have been on sertraline for some time. No side effects as far as I am aware.
    were you offered amitriptyline?

4. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

No I've previously been given citalopram, paroxetine and fluoxetine to treat depression (the last one gave me panic attacks and rendered me almost housebound as well as causing substantial weight gain.) I am not currently depressed, nor more anxious than most people would be given our situation and certainly don't feel limited by excess anxiety but the Sertraline is being offered as part of a wider pain management programme including CBT. I've only just, after years of what has felt like useless and repetitive testing been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia. I feel as though some of what is being offered now *could* have been offered without having that diagnosis but on the whole I'm just happy that it's not all in my imagination and things are being suggested at last. This week I was given a prescription for Tramadol which seems to alleviate some (generally 'female reproductive system type) pains but not the widespread inexplicable pain which is why sertraline came up. I think that my history with antedepressants is making me nervous!

5. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

My brother-in-law takes amitriptyline for pain management, which is why I posed that question.

6. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Well it's possible that I may be offered that. It was GP Number 1 who suggested Sertraline but she was convinced I needed it for anxiety and mentioned the pain relief in passing. GP Number 2 wrote me a prescription for Tramadol because I said I would prefer to have pain relief that I only take when it's bad rather than taking something all the time, but I'm finding that actuall the Tramadol has very little effect on the general pain while being pretty darned good for other specific pains. I'm going to go back and discuss the Sertraline with GP Number 2 and see if there are any other options but I would like to hear about anyone else's side effects with that drug. (Recognising that different people will react differently sometimes but if htere was a consensus it would be good to know.)

7. cliveva

cliveva Well-Known Member

As a mental health nurse, I have observed good results with Sertraline with few side effects reported. Stopping though should be done slowly.
    Tramadol is a synthetic morphine and is addictive.
    All the best
    Clive

8. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

9. swanseadave

swanseadave Well-Known Member

Amytriptyline was originally an anti depressant but I`m on 50mg a day for nerve pain which it`s very good for.

EightBitTony likes this.
  10. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Y'know, if we all got together to form a Morris troupe, we wouldn't need to fork out for bells - the rattling of all our assorted pills and tablets would make enough noise! ;)

(bendroflumethiazide, atorvastatin)

John Farrell and spinno like this.
  11. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

All the opioids can be problematic.
    I was on tramadol for several years, and had the usual tolerance issues whereby it became pretty useless but caused dependency.
    I didn't see becoming dependant on the drug an issue as I needed it for the pain. I knew that coming off it could be problematic, but just took it steady over a year, so there were no problems.
    Many years back I had the same things by with another opioid, and just stopped it. A week of being jittery and sweaty was the result, but I knew it would happen so it wasn't too much hassle.

Anyone who thinks opioids won't cause dependency is deluding themselves, and just needs to be prepared. The brains addiction can be a price worth paying if it gets rid of severe pain.

I have recently been prescribed some other opioids (codeine) for some of my pain, but avoid it where I can purely because I know it will stop working. Any addiction to it is something I would deal with if it ever came round.

EightBitTony and Catriona like this.
  12. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

I guess I'm lucky in that I simply can't take them (opioids). Just get violently sick, so not really any point.
    I do worry about when paracetamol just doesn't cut it any more.

I wish you (Kath) luck with whatever treatment you choose to take.

13. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

Sertraline and other antidepressants are increasingly being used for pain management.
    I have experience of the drug for depression, but can't really attest to its pain control ability.

I had some negative effects from sertraline in the form of involuntary muscle movements after taking it for a few years, so switched to something else.

It's pot luck whether someone has adverse reactions. I was prescribed an anti spasmodic for muscle problems a few years back, but had to stop as they made me really confused.
    Other drugs such as Gabapentin which were originally used for epilepsy are also used for pain. I have found it useful (it's only used for neurological pain) in taking the worst of my neuralgia.
    It has now been out on the controlled substances list, but I cannot see what anyone would get from it if not used medically.

14. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

My understanding is that some drugs don't work not because I've developed a dependency on them but because the pain involved is 'not useful' pain - it's not caused by inflammation or whatever, but is instead a crossed wire and I'm experiencing pain instead of something else. This is why soemtimes treating stress or anxiety with meds normally for those conditions can sometimes help with pain relief in Fibromyalgia. At least that's the gist of what she said. I noticed that the Tramadol dealt very well with period pains but does nothing whatsoever for the Fibromyalgia pain. I don't know. I'm going to discuss it with her next time I'm in.

15. lisadb

lisadb Well-Known Member

This probably sounds an odd suggestion. I was grumpy and irritable earlier in the year so bought a SAD light which as well as cheering me up has made the muscle pain and stiffness I've had for several years a bit better. Not sure if I'm just less tense or what but it has certainly helped. If you can borrow one for a few weeks might be worth a try ? :)

16. Learning

I have also been prescribed codeine in combination with paracetamaol for post operative pain. It works for me and many others. Neither are opiates but for those whom this combination works the codeine gets converted to opiate within our bodies. I was aware of the possible addictve qualities and only used it for a few days. Apart from the addictive qualities I can vouch personally for the effect on one's gut. I would suggest that if anyone is going to use opioids for more than a day then they had better stock up with laxatives. This is not a childish joke.

17. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Hi Lisa, I used to have a SAD light but it was one of the things that had to go when we moved house. No room! I may try borrowing one for a short period to see if it has any effect but the space issue hasn't gone away yet so I doubt it would be a permanent thing. I do try to get outside nad get as much daylight as I can though, and the exercise certainly seems to help.

18. Learning

Is a 'Sad Light' a euphemism for a light used to encourage the growth of a certain herbal remedy?

19. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Kath, you have my sympathy. Living with constant pain is horrendous. My wife has chronic regional pain syndrome and is on a daily cocktail of amytriptoline, gabapentin and primidone, with tramodol for when she has a really tough day.

20. lisadb

lisadb Well-Known Member

No it isn't.