1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Serif Affinity Photo...

Discussion in 'Digital Image Editing & Printing' started by El_Sid, Sep 3, 2019.

1. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Following on from the other thread I have been playing about with Affinity. It does have some issues, such as freezing up if you do something it doesn't like and for some odd reason it keeps losing track of the cursor/pointer meaning I have to close and reopen it...:rolleyes:

Some of the problems are linked to my familiarity with PS and lack of familiarity with the Affinity way of doing things but those are mostly a matter of time to solve. There are some things I don't like such as the need to 'export' everything rather than use a simple save as command - I didn't like this when I trialled their old PhotoPlus program and I still don't, far too easy to accidentally overwrite the layered 'afphoto' file with a non-layered one that's meant to be a JPEG as I've already found out...:oops:. It's also a bit annoying that once you've 'developed' a file and sent it to the editing mode any adjustments you made to the raw file's settings are lost - if you want to go back to it and make a slight adjustment you can't; you have to start again from scratch which I do consider a major flaw...:(

Initially I also had major hassle with the Develop 'Persona' (stupid term, what's wrong with something logical like mode) refusing to open raw files in a usable form - they all came out horribly dark and unusable - which after going on their forum turned out to be solvable only by doing a full reset on initialising the software. It seems I may have inadvertently set some preferences which were either wrong or mutually compatible - it's not clear which.

Anyway once sorted I finally got a usable image from the raw file I was trying to open. The result , developed and mostly edited in Affinity, appears below. It's nothing spectacular as it was just a handy file to have a play with...

[​IMG]
    The Rotary Garden
    by Nigel Hayes, on Flickr

My initial impressions are that Affinity, despite it's quirks and issues, is a remarkably versatile program despite being a fraction of the cost of proper Photshop.

Learning and steveandthedogs like this.
  2. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

The role of Exporting is similar in Lightroom. as it is in any program, that holds the file as a type of work in progress. with the changes attached rather than applied.
    I must say that I do not use the raw processor in Affinity, as it does not apply Fuji lens corrections or have the ability to use Fuji film styles. It seems to be in an early stage of development.
    My other gripe is that it does not have even a rudimentary DAM. not even the ability to add key words to an image file.

But for a program, still in the work in progress stage, it has already made impressive strides.

3. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

What is a DAM?

S

4. Terrywoodenpic

Digital asset management. Or library facility.

5. steveandthedogs

I'm still no wiser

S

6. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

It is the main feature of Lightroom. You can catalogue your images using keywords and it maintains a database linking the file location to the key words so that, provided you are reasonably diligent in adding keywords (a simple task) you can quickly find an image. I originally used Flickr for this purpose because I could use keywords and albums to index pictures, find them then look up the date they were taken - which happens to be how I store them on disk.

7. steveandthedogs

Ta.

S

8. Terrywoodenpic

With key words and lightroom or other DAM program you can find and call up any image or group of images in a few seconds. You can the export it, print it ot out, or send it. Or if you want, find its actual file location.
    As soon as you find it , any other information that you attached to it like date or location and shooting data, Is available to you. A DAM is just a sophisticated database. The one in lightroom is tailored to photography.

All my images are in my lightroom library. It gives me instant access to any of my photographs, even if I recall only a few things about them.

steveandthedogs likes this.
  9. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Affinity is not a replacement for Light Room. It is rapidly becoming a replacement for Photoshop.
    ACR which is used by LR for developing raw files also allows for a lot of editting, so much so that many images need never go to PS. Clearly it is desirable to have the editting process recorded in a sidecar file so the edit can be modified. In Affinity the scope for editting in the Develop Persona is limited. I find it best to do all the edit in the Photo persona, except for lens corrections. Batch processing of raw files is now reliable
    The current release of Affinity (1.7.2.471 seems to be stable. They have done a lot of work on reliability as well as adding features over the last year.
    The problem of the very dark developed file could have been down to two causes. You can disable the default curve (the curve which lifts shadows and compresses highlights). There are cases where you might want to disable the curve. Another cause is that you might have set the program to work with an HDR monitor while not actually having an HDR monitor.
    The company has not made an official announcement about DAM or library facilities, but staff have responded to users requests on the forums in a way that suggests something brewing.

Terrywoodenpic likes this.
  10. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

The Affinity photo book is currently on discount. The software is not.