1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

September Theme - Still Life

Discussion in 'Forum Competitions and Themes' started by Fishboy, Aug 31, 2017.

1. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Blame RovingMike!

Mexico and Greece.
    mexico and greece ap.jpg

Done_rundleCams, Geren and Fishboy like this.
  2. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

When Mrs. Craig decides to bake a cake at 7.30 in the evening, probably best not to get in the way..........I'll be off to the chippy then love! o_O

dd.jpg

3. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

I know this s barely a still life but I enjoyed my party so much I decided to post a picture of the band. One of whose performers turned out to the the form mistress o two of our guests!
    Band 2 1024.JPG i

4. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

_P9A2835.jpg

First Aid Course, Dunoon I

Fishboy and Done_rundleCams like this.
  5. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

_P9A2824.jpg

First Aid Course, Dunoon, II

6. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

_P9A2827.jpg

First Aid Course, Dunoon, III

7. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

_P9A2819.jpg

First Aid Course, Dunoon IV

8. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

That is soooo modernist. Winner in an arty farty salon competition.

miked and Geren like this.
  9. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Was striving for post modernist irreverence but actually I'm now thinking I need my own art movement. Off to write a manifesto.

Catriona likes this.
  10. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

No, I think you are bang on hypermodern existentialist. I'm sure our judge is plucking up courage to hand you the laurels even now.

Geren likes this.
  11. miked

miked Well-Known Member

The musicians appear to be wearing rag-rugs, the sort of thing people used to make in the 1940s with bits of old material they scrounged.

12. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

The theme of the band was "Scarecrows" which is the name of the band in some old dialect or other. They obviously enjoyed themselves as much as I did, we even got an email from the leader thanking us for inviting them to our party! It was a barn dance and everybody joined in which seemed to impress them.

13. Catriona

Yum yum yum!
    pork parcels ap.jpg

14. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

I was going to suggest you call it post-rationalism, as invented (I think) back in the day ('60s/'70s?) by cartoonist Tony Benyon, in his cartoon strip The Lone Groover.
    However there now is apparently such a thing.
    And not just in politics.

15. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

I know post-rationalisation which I think is not quite the same thing. However, many an art student has got themselves out of a sticky crit with a hefty last minute application of blatant off the cuff last minute arty blox of that sort.

SXH and Trannifan like this.
  16. Catriona

I just love that last one!
    Did they leave the windows like that specially for you?

17. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

Well, it's that time again!

I've just been through all of the entries several times and have made a shortlist - the problem is that my 'short' list has been whittled down twice and still has a dozen entries!

The very first entry from Steve (SXH) had me worrying that the whole month would be filled with terrible puns - but luckily it didn't happen.

There have been some great entries. A couple that stood out for me were Bob's (Sagamore) nuts and bolts:

[​IMG]

Although not what I'd normally have in mind for the theme of 'still life' I really liked Tony's (EightBitTony) Life Saving Equipment:

[​IMG]

Andrew Flannigan's graphic, grainy spoon appealed to me:

[​IMG]

Geren's 'disappointing breakfast' might not have been the start to the day that she wanted, but the picture made up for it:

[​IMG]

I had a lot of time for the atmosphere of Kate's (Catriona) 'Finale'

[​IMG]

One of Mike's (RovingMike) later entries appealed to me:

[​IMG]

I really enjoyed seeing all of the entries. Some of them weren't what I originally had in mind for the 'still life' theme, but none of them have been a disappointment. Mentions must go to Geren and Catriona for making this a really difficult decision by posting so many great pictures. Steve (SXH) has presented pictures of virtually everything in his kitchen and has done so with a sense of humour. Nige's (DreamPolice) kitten invaded his still life set-up and nearly got first place simply by being so god-damned cute! I loved Andrew Flannigan's picture through the rainy bus window, but I wanted to pick a winner that was more in keeping with the traditional concept of the theme.

I really think that I could go through everybody who's posted a picture and comment about what I liked about them, but I've got to make a decision.

I've lost count of how many times I've been through this thread now - but I keep coming back to Kate's 'Old Master' so I'm going to stop beating around the bush and name that as this month's winner:

[​IMG]

Congratulations to Kate - now it's over to you to decide on the theme for October - although I'd point out that it's getting a bit too cold for 'erotic selfies'

Cheers, Jeff

18. Catriona

Oh no! Oh dear. Thank you Jeff. You are very kind. There were so many wonderful entries, I feel very honoured to have been the chosen one.

I shall go away and have a think about next month's theme. Hopefully I'll post it soon!

Bows... and frowns... and thunks!

Kate

19. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

A most excellent choice Jeff - big congratulations to Kate!

Catriona likes this.
  20. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Thank you Kate! The bloke teaching the course arbitrarily announced a break without letting the catering staff know, so they were a bit flustered. They put on a pretty good spread but hadn't set out a table or chairs for us to sit at while munching cake and downing vats of coffee to keep us going. Several people elected to use the big windowsills and I just rather liked the light, so it was a quick snag while we were standing around and before going back to the CPR training.