1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

September Theme - Still Life

Discussion in 'Forum Competitions and Themes' started by Fishboy, Aug 31, 2017.

1. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

I've picked the theme for September as 'Still Life' in whatever form appeals to you.

Personally, still life photography is something that I struggle with so I'll be interested to see how everybody else approaches the subject. I may ask questions!

I see the subject as ranging from candid shots through to formally-arranged and lit ones, from the 'traditional' still life subjects to more abstract and modernistic ones and from serious, artistic endeavours through to fun and amusing ones (which, I've no doubt, will involve Lego!).

To get the ball rolling I've had a quick trawl through my archives and here a few of my attempts:

A candid shot of one of my favourite subjects - in this case Ringwood Brewery Boondoggle:

[​IMG]Beer by Jeff Johnson, on Flickr

My first attempt at setting up and lighting a still life to try to tell a story:

[​IMG]Noir by Jeff Johnson, on Flickr

And finally, a picture formed as a composite of four still life pictures that I had to put together after somebody decided that 'cheese' was a suitable subject for a forum competition!

[​IMG]A Sandwich Short of a Picnic by Jeff Johnson, on Flickr

I hope that everybody can find some of their archive shots to show us and create some new ones to 'wow' us with!

Cheers, Jeff

2. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Hmm, another theme I'm not that good at...
    [​IMG]Stuck by Steve Higgins, on Flickr

In fact, I'm completely stuck for ideas... :rolleyes:

3. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

4. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

I feel that I should add:

Just because I chose the subject, it doesn't mean that every picture has to be an awful pun.

Cheers, Jeff

Done_rundleCams, peterba and SXH like this.
  5. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

I'm going to do some new ones, but here's some I shot/found earlier. The vivid one was when I attempted to emulate the style of Marie Cosindas. Not easy to go OTT.
    Fun though.
    morning still life.jpg emulating marie cosindas.jpg in the old house.jpg

6. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

7. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Never had Boondoggle, in fact this may be the first I've heard of it but I do rather like Fortyniner and Badger...

Done_rundleCams likes this.
  8. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

From the archives, one of my few set up still lifes...

A Sunny Sunday Start

06-A-Sunny-Sunday-Start.jpg

Another archive job - this time a found still life

Gloves
    Gloves.jpg

And even...

Rhubarb

Rhubarb.jpg

9. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

Here is one taken in the spring my wife - so that's at least two grounds for
    ineligibility

115 B 800.JPG

10. RogerMac

Another one taken this spring in Crete. Pity it's out of date as I like it

Pottery lamps

Pottery lamps.JPG

11. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Here are a couple of moody foody ones from last month...

170720-tomatoes-001.jpg 170724-lentils-001.jpg

miked, SXH, Kator Grond and 7 others like this.
  12. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

Ahh, the old Flat Head Rat Stoppers!!

13. RogerMac

Here is another from Crete - it's a detail from the necklace of a fertility goddess of the Minoan era.

I think it is time I stopped

necklace.JPG

14. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Had me a few of them last Wednesday, in straight glasses mind you. Very nice it is too.

15. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

In the tradition of presenting ineligible old stuff.

Not long after I first got my DSLR

[​IMG]Trapped by Tony Evans, on Flickr

Again, very soon after getting the camera, one of the first (and very few) attempts at prepared still life

[​IMG]Candle by Tony Evans, on Flickr

I soon realised I didn't enjoy sitting in the house setting up lighting

[​IMG]Damp Basement by Tony Evans, on Flickr

As Chairs are to Roger, Coffee Cups are to me.

[​IMG]Caution Hot by Tony Evans, on Flickr

I also do a good line in abandoned alcohol bottles.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

16. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

An oldie. (Not sure it qualifies as still life? It was still attached and growing). Does anyone know the definition of still life? Now there's a thread all of its own.

Daisy-LR.jpg

Done_rundleCams, Zou and SXH like this.
  17. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

I like it but, TBH, I don't think it does. Basic art definition of Still Life is that it contains dead or unmoving things, possibly man-made.. I'd say it was a Flower picture.

Sort of like Zou's Orange. I really like the pic, but I'd say it was more Urban Landscape than Still Life.

Problem is, definitions are difficult to come up with, can be quite wide, and tend to overlap. However, I think they are needed, otherwise you end up with the old 'it is if someone says it is' argument and anything can become anything. Which makes the idea of a theme meaningless and, therefore, this thread irrelevant.

Hope I've not put anyone's nose out of joint (hmm, maybe i should start a nose re-jointing business, could be money in it. ;)), but you did ask...

Done_rundleCams, Zou and Catriona like this.
  18. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

For my money, a still life is one which contains 'an arrangement of objects' and the objects should not move, nor be alive. The arrangement can be a deliberate affair, or something that you notice and find pleasing in its arranging. That does leave the possibility for overlap between still life and urban landscape but so long as all elements are essentially inanimate I don't think you can disqualify.

Done_rundleCams, Zou and Craig20264 like this.
  19. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

IMG_4986-2-2.jpg

An old one from the studio.

20. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

130927-001b.jpg

This was an interesting project for my first week at art school four years ago. We had to bring in three objects from home. We weren't told what they were for. The next two weeks were spent making images with the three objects in as many different ways as we could imagine. It was an exercise in creative research and this was one of my latter efforts with two of the objects. It is actually a really good way of generating ideas and if you ever find yourself stuck for a photographic project, I can highly recommend picking one small random household object and just seeing how many different ways you can photograph it. I used to run that as a theme occasionally in my old photography club - give everyone the same thing - like 'forks' or 'matches' or 'pencils' and that was all they could photograph. We never got the same shot twice and it pushes your thinking.