1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sept 19 Film supplement

Discussion in 'AP Magazine Feedback & Suggestions' started by Malcolm_Stewart, Sep 19, 2015.

1. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

A big thanks to AP for this week's FILM Supplement. Not only interesting, but useful and timely as well.

A granddaughter is asking about cameras for her "Arts" course, which started two weeks ago. Do I encourage her to learn the skills so that she can make good use of my Valoy enlarger? Would I even risk giving it to her...? I'd be very sad for that classic to leave our family ownership.

And then I learnt that Photospeed offer a film for ink-jet printers, and using which I could produce both 5" x 4" negatives and positives of the photos taken at our recent 80th birthday event, and saved for posterity - albeit in B&W only. I still have the "selfie" taken in the late 1890s of my grandfather and his father. He tripped the shutter by pulling a piece of string, just visible in the snap.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 19, 2015
  2. PhotoEcosse

PhotoEcosse Well-Known Member

Digital negatives, such as you mention, are extensively used by photographers who make palladium or platinum contact prints. Being able to make a (say) 10"x8" negative from a digital image file is a great help in expoloring those photographic disciplines.

3. mark_jacobs

mark_jacobs Retired

Thank you Malcolm. I will highlight your post to those concerned

regards
    m

4. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

If one prints large negatives digitally then in principal the old enlarger is no longer needed. You do then require suitable gels for the contact printing. I am pretty confidant that having raised that issue it will not be long before other members of this forum will provide us with sources. We tend to be very bad at keeping secrets, or maybe generous in sharing them.

5. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

I'm not sure I understand this post. First, of course you don't need an enlarger if you're printing digitally but where does the "in principle" come in to it? Second, you get very different effects with different contact printing media. Third, "suitable gels of contact printing"? Are you talking about variable contrast? If so, the easiest way is to use an enlarger as a light source. Fourth, what secrets?

Cheers,

R.

6. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

In principle you don't need the enlarger because you do not need to project the image. You may use the enlarger as a light source, or you may use something else. I expressed myself badly and carelessly about printing the large negatives digitally. What I intended to state was that if one created a large negative using digital processing and digital printer then the enlarger will not be needed to enlarge, because we will be contact printing. Suitable gels might well be for variable contrast monochrome papers but I had colour printing in mind.

As to what secrets. Are you really suggesting that traditional wet printers have no secrets?

Sometimes Roger I think that you can be almost as awkward as myself.

7. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Think the word might be cels, not gels, chaps. Trade talk again, both photographic still and film making. Strictly speaking, it is an abbreviation for and is directly derived from celluloids but by the time I was no longer a lad, cels was commonplace in advertising and film making for graphic and special effects.

Cor, I think I ought to get paid for all this education lark! How much are college tuition fees now? :D Cheers, Oly

8. PhotoEcosse

PhotoEcosse Well-Known Member

Think "emulsion" rather than gels or cels, and it will make more sense to conventional film users.

The basic process is that an inkjet printer is used to create a large format negative from a digital image file.

That negative is then used to make a contact print, usually on to watercolour paper that has been "painted" with the requisite emulsion. The exposure is usually fairly long (30 minutes is not unusual) under ultraviolet light. In locations with reliable sunlight, then daylight may be used for the exposure. I haven't heard of anyone using an enlarger to provide the light source.

There are many variations to the process, including some where several different emulsions are applied and the print re-exposed (exact registration of the negative is crucial).

As you suggest, there are secrets which are only shared with trusted friends - especially the sources of the necessary chemicals.

There have been several demonstrations to meetings of the RPS Visual Arts Group.

Eric