1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sekonic L-718

Discussion in 'Other Brands & Accessories' started by Lysardman, Dec 30, 2012.

1. Lysardman

Lysardman Active Member

I have a Sekonic L-718 meter that has died, it won't switch on. Sekonic tell me they do not carry spares for such an old meter.
    Does anyone know where I might get it fixed without breaking the bank?
    Otherwise it's overdraft time at the bank again!
    Happy New Year to all
    Tony

2. Bob Maddison

Bob Maddison Well-Known Member

This might seem too simple, but are you using good batteries and do they make good contact?

Checking batteries with a meter isn't always reliable; if the batteries are elderly they can show a good voltage which 'dies' under load. Check their voltage IN THE METER first with the meter OFF then switch it ON.

Contacts are best cleaned with a glass fibre abrasive brush. Alkaline batteries which I believe it uses, are notorious for corroding terminals!

3. Lysardman

Lysardman Active Member

Thanks Bob,

I tried it with newly charged NiMH and Ni Cad batteries and then when those didn't work bought some AA batteries, again no luck.
    The terminals show no sign of corrosion because I always remove batteries when I'm not using the meter.

Tony

4. Bob Maddison

Bob Maddison Well-Known Member

I know that this won't help you now, but I would always use Alkaline batteries in such a meter and not rechargeables. The latter are designed for a high discharge rate for a short time whereas alkaline batteries are more suitable for long term use at a low discharge rate. I note you remove batteries when not in use. A good thing but not always necessary as long as you inspect regularly.

The only other thing I can suggest is to open up the meter and look for obvious wiring faults. I have known wires break off often near a switch or battery connection just because these points are often subject to stress. Also look for possible "dry joints" usually but not always evidenced by a slightly dodgy looking soldered joint often with hardened flux showing. A touch with a fine tip soldering iron often sorts these out!

Best of luck with your meter.

5. Lysardman

Lysardman Active Member

Hi Bob,
    I did actually use alkaline batteries but no use.
    I opened it up and found a loose lead from the battery housing to one of the boards, but no signs of bad joints etc.
    I fixed the lead but it's still dead so it looks like a new meter is going to be bought when funds allow, 2020 at present rate!
    Happy New Year to you.
    Tony

6. photofool

photofool New Member

I had the same problem. I just turned both batteries around to the
    wrong direction (- to +) put the Seconik on and then switched the
    batteries in to the normal direction. Then - tataa - it booted and
    started again. Seems to work perfectly well again.. Hope you didn't
    put it away.