1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sekonic l-608?

Discussion in 'News - Discussion' started by Raz, Oct 5, 2000.

1. Raz

Raz Well-Known Member

can someone give me a URL or some info on the sekonic l-608
    as id like to buy a meter and id be interested what improvements they made over the 508
    cheers

always looking for new work

2. Steve Lewis

Steve Lewis Member

3. Tref

Tref Member

just a caution: while the 508 and 608 are very nice meters, if this is in connection with the 'what meter should i use for seascape' thread elsewhere, then you haven't picked a very cheap option. Yes, they'll cope with very wide ranges, COMPARED TO OTHER DIGITAL METERS. But these ranges start looking decidedly average when compared to the best of the older analogue meters (Gossen Lunasix's etc...). I use a LunaPro, which has never failed me yet on dawn, sunrise, middle-of-the-night-in-a-dark-alley, or even just during the day. You can pick them up for under £100 with a warranty, and spend the rest on film.

Even if it's studio flash capability you're after, both these meters are probably well and truly over-spec'd. My studio needs are catered for by a venerable old Sekonic 308BII. I do know a couple of extremely good professional landscape photographers who swear by these for incident/reflected readings 'in the field'. So far as I can see, the only useful extra toys you get are a wide-angle 'spot' that could possibly be better described as centre-weighted and a backlight. I get around the backlight issue with the green 'last reading was...' stud on my gossen and a torch/cigarette lighter, either one of which is likely to already be in the kit of a landscape photographer working in low light...

If it's a spotmeter that you're really after, though, the pentax spot can usually be picked up s/h under £150, and it really is the biz. Really. Other spot meters should just give up and go home. It's that good.

Maybe I'm a bit of a luddite, but the only people I've known who've bought seriously expensive digital meters still bracket like crazy, and seem to have bought them on the premise of more expensive=more toys=better. I even know one person with a 508 (who uses 'spot' at every available opportunity) who hasn't the nous to tell the difference between an indicated 30s and 1/30! There's certainly something to be said for being dragged up with unmetered full manual cameras...

4. Raz

Raz Well-Known Member

ok well im still truely confused. I need averageing, multiple flash,flash and ambiant, reflected and incident and a spot.. id love a ground glass reader as well. From what i can gather the sekonic L-718 seems the best bet (with the spot attachment).. as long as its got averageing.. that im not sure of. So ill try and get one for cheap off ebay.
    I cant find anyhting on the l-608... well see
    thanks again.

always looking for new work