1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

See the results for Round 9 Going Abstract

Discussion in 'Amateur Photographer Of the Year (APOY)' started by Chrissie_Lay, Nov 26, 2013.

1. Chrissie_Lay

Chrissie_Lay AP Editor's PA

[​IMG]

See the results >here< for Round 9 Going Abstract

2. PMurrell

PMurrell Well-Known Member

Cracking images that were shortlisted. Little dissappointed at not making the top 50 but this set of images has encouraged me to broaden my horizons with regard to my own interpretation of what is deemed as 'abstract', which I now take as a valuble lesson for the future.

3. yahya

yahya Member

Thanks AP it means a lot to me making it and being shortlisted

4. Parshva Jhaveri

Parshva Jhaveri New Member

i thought i would win :(

I thought i had a chance of getting into atleast the top 50. A bit disappointed. I realized how tough it is. how do i come to know how many points i got and what rank i stood?????

5. TheAlex

TheAlex Well-Known Member

I was flicking through the magazine backwards before I sat down to read it and got to the competition results...17-30th, I wasn't there. 4th-16th, not there. "There's always next year" I thought.

And then there was my photo in first place! :D

I stood there in shock...and then I realised I'd won a camera and lens - a week after scratching the lens of my (uninsured) fixed-lens Canon G1 X. And then I realised I'd popped up in 10th place overall. My heart was beating quite fast. I got home and wondered if it had all been a dream, and about 20 minutes later my camera arrived. So thanks to AP and Panasonic for my prize! I'm taking it out to play with tomorrow. It's quite complicated compared with these compacts I'm used to, there are buttons on the lenses as well... :)

I encourage anyone reading this to make sure they enter every round from the start next year - I never thought it even a distant possibility that I'd be in the top 10, and now it feels like a bit of a missed opportunity as I didn't enter anything until round 3, and have missed another couple of rounds since. Not a missed opportunity for the overall title of course, just to have given me more chance to consolidate my place in that top 10.

I hereby promise to enter every round of APOY next year. Who else is with me? If you're ever stuck for ideas I find studying the photos and comments from past APOY's gives me a great idea of the sort of photo I should submit.

Incidentally, my appearances in AP always seem to be related to some bad luck; the first time I had a photo printed was the picture of the week in the Appraisal section - a photo I'd only taken because an event I'd driven 80 miles for had been cancelled. My first appearance in APOY came earlier this year - and that was a photo taken on another broken Canon G1 X, one that had been submerged in a lake at the British Wildlife Centre on the same day I took the photo for APOY. So I wonder what bad luck I have to initiate next...

6. mark_jacobs

mark_jacobs Retired

Congratulations Alex, enjoy the camera and worse luck next year ;)

m

7. PMurrell

PMurrell Well-Known Member

Well done Alex and your message is very encouraging.

I must say out of all the magazine competitions it appears to me APOY is held in high regard.

A work colleague brought this to my attention earlier this year but I hesistated due to lack of confidence I guess. I think my first entry was for Interior Architecture and I placed 41st and then 21st for Black & White World.

I will definately be striving to make every round next year.