1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

See the results for APOY round 9 - Kept in the Dark

Discussion in 'Amateur Photographer Of the Year (APOY)' started by Chrissie_Lay, Dec 30, 2014.

1. Chrissie_Lay

Chrissie_Lay AP Editor's PA

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2014
  2. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Interesting 'Kept in the Dark' choices! Congratulations to the winners.

Kate

3. miked

miked Well-Known Member

Yes, there are some wonderful images here and possibly one of the best rounds of the year, and yet I feel one or two of them have tested the interpretation of the brief beyond breaking point and are, in essence, studio shots rather than true night photography. They are undoubtedly fine pieces of work, but I do question their right to be accepted within the frame of the brief.

4. Dalton54

Dalton54 Member

Hi Everyone,

Just back from my Christmas holidays and was catching up on what has been going on. Stopped by the APOY gallery to see the images from the last round and agree there are some wonderful images in the top 30, but was convinced that I had seen one of them before. The image in question was Wintry
    Scene by Marius Vieth which has been awarded 37pt for coming 26th. Having checked back I note that the same image with a slightly different crop and white balance was awared 8th place in last year's Round 10 Under The Weather earning 42pts. Question - does the different crop and white balance overcome the rule in the competition that a submitted photograph should not have been published before or does this mean that by minimal changes to an already successful entry you can re-enter it as many times as you wish?

Sorry if it appears that I am looking to find a fault where none may be but I do so in the interests of the other persons who entered this round (I have not done so, so have no direct interest other than to establish how the rule should work).

Steve

5. Catriona

You are so right. It is the same shot.
    It's also a bit weird that some higher marked ones are on page 2 instead of page 1. Not mine, I hasten to add (being a boring night time shot at longer exposure of a snow scene in front of my home).

6. mark_jacobs

mark_jacobs Retired

Well spotted Steve. I'll have this investigated.

Regards and a Happy New Year to all
    Mark

7. lm1

lm1 Well-Known Member

I made it into the top ten at number 7 ~ what a fantastic way to start the new year !! Thank You!
    Though I think I may be one of those considered to be 'stretching the brief' somewhat? so I should note that it was most definitely a night shot ~ I was still suffering with a slipped disc and knew I wouldn't be able to get out with my camera for any night cityscapes etc so after a couple of failed attempts at shooting the moon from the garden I headed down to the cellar. I'm very fortunate to live in a converted flat within a 19th century house which has an amazing cellar, including lots of windows and daylight....So I headed down there after dark with my ever suffering husband :p and used an EL wire for the light effects :D

Not sure about the final round....again I wasn't able to get out so I've submitted a shot from earlier in the year taken on holiday which I hope fits the remit.

Happy New Year to everyone!

8. shutterspot

shutterspot New Member

Happy New Year everyone!

My first attempt at a photography competition and I scored 4th place, can't believe it! So over the moon, was just the boost I needed! Thank you to everyone who voted for me and up against some amazing photographs too.

Well done to everyone who took part.

9. Abberline

Abberline New Member

Happy New Year everyone, I hope you all had a good Christmas. Does anyone know why the leaderboard hasn't been updated yet?, is it possibly to do with the entry that has been submitted twice?.

10. Abberline

Abberline New Member

Congratulations Shutterspot, you beat me into 15th! Deserved though,I love the composition on yours.

11. shutterspot

shutterspot New Member

Thank you, very kind. I didn't expect to be anywhere, up against so many great photographers.

12. Catriona

So, we can enter the same picture in different years?

13. Dalton54

Dalton54 Member

Having made the initial enquiry about this I'm also wondering what the answer is. I note that there has been no removal of the shot in question from the gallery for this round or chance for the person who came 31st to have their photograph seen in the magazine and in the gallery (which I think should happen if the identified shot is considered to be outside the rules). It tends to reinforce the idea that this kind of thing is to be allowed, which I guess will be good news to Dan Deakin who will be able to repeat the success of this year by slight modifications to his point scoring shots and send them in again this coming year.

Steve