1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

See the results for APOY 2014 Round 2 - Animal Planet

Discussion in 'Amateur Photographer Of the Year (APOY)' started by Chrissie_Lay, May 27, 2014.

1. Chrissie_Lay

Chrissie_Lay AP Editor's PA

2. avt

avt Well-Known Member

Hello!
    I think there are some mistakes in schedule... it does not correspond to gallery

3. PMurrell

PMurrell Well-Known Member

My entry appeared to have the hallmarks of the 'get low' advice given i.e. Animals will relax...exhibit natural behaviour etc....and the result...'Blankety Blank' Lol.

I live to fight another day. (it's a learning curve)

4. avt

avt Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, for me the declared task doesn't correspond to the published result...

5. PMurrell

In recent months I learnt that a photo of mine came 2nd in an international competition. This same photo came 21st in a previous APOY a few years back.

Judges are only human and some will see things that others don't and vice-versa. It's a difficult job and one I do not envy.

From a perspective of an entrant getting recognition for ones work is a bonus but I understand your frustration when you've followed a brief and things appear not to work out. We've all been there and I'm afraid it's all part of the learning curve. Personally I try not to let such disappointments frustrate me. I just see them as another hurdle.

It will come.

Last edited: May 27, 2014
  6. bevlad

bevlad Well-Known Member

I'm trying not to get upset about the judging this year... I had a bit of a rant at the beginning of last years APOY because of some dubious decisions.
    Overall I tend to think they get it right especially considering how many entries they get.
    The winner this month I thought was pretty good and you can imagine a lot of effort has gone into it.
    Second place is essentially a good picture, I liked the Kray's reference, but I didnt think it was particularly well processed, the black background seems too dark for the lowish contrast on the owls which gives it a 'cut out' look.
    Dusica Paripovic's cat picture was superb and probably should have been higher than 30th

7. PMurrell

My entry was of some deer resting in Richmond Park. Looking back I can see I was taking a chance getting so close but guess it didn't have that 'umph!' to make the top 50.

http://www.viewbug.com/photo/3643632

Last edited: May 27, 2014
  8. bevlad

bevlad Well-Known Member

thats a flippin stunner, the only problem I can see with it is that the second dears antlers are in silhouette and It kind of draws you eye to that.
    I like the way there is no clear focal point, it just looks like a picture you can let your eye wander around

9. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

I keep thinking is a bird an animal... then I saw a lovely definition which said a bird is an animal with wings and two legs that lay eggs. lol One for the grammar police, I think.
    :D
    Kate

10. PMurrell

Thanks Bevlad. I titled it 'In The Shade'...

11. luisport

luisport Well-Known Member

12. PMurrell

13. avt

avt Well-Known Member

14. Ffolrord

Ffolrord Well-Known Member

That's very nice. Unusual, very nice light. A very engaging image. I'd put that ahead of plenty in the top30.

15. PMurrell

Thanks. I really appreciate the compliments and feedback.

16. Oliver_Atwell

Oliver_Atwell AP Features writer Forum Admin

Hello everyone,

Apologies for the mistake in the results. It was entirely my error. I gave over the wrong information so consider my wrists slapped. The results have now been adjusted and can be found here: http://apmag.co/APOY14r2results

Oliver