1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Second monitor calibration.

Discussion in 'Computer Related Help & Discussion' started by bazzah, Jul 23, 2007.

1. bazzah

bazzah Member

Besides feeding the thirsty R2400 endlessly with lots of ink, it gets the wherewithal from an Intel iMac 2CD,2ghz,2Gig ram with an ATI Radeon X1600 128MB graphics card.
    Up until now, not trusting the screen, I've printed straight from the camera after passing by image size
    if needed.
    I fancy a 24" Dell Ultrasharp somtime when I have got the dosh and my query is this: using Color Sync software and sensor, is it possible to calibrate the Dell without worrying about the effect on the iMac screen? Is it possible to calibrate both?
    The Dell screen will have the pic and the tools will be on the iMac so as you can imagine the Dell calibration is the most important for me.
    Sorry for the longwindedness but I have no idea how screen calibration works on a two screen set up.
    Thanks in advance.
    Barry. :D

2. Gordon_McGeachie

Gordon_McGeachie In the Stop Bath

I should imagine that if you have a graphics card with dual outputs, and you calibrate one of them,then the other should not alter, I have no experince of this so this is just an assumption, I may be right, but knowing me I will be wrong.. :D :D

3. bazzah

bazzah Member

Yes Gordon , the card has a mini DVI out and the display preferences cater for the second screen. Having switched last November I still had a 19"Iyama from the scorned PC and I hitched it up for a while before I found a loving home for it.
    Not knowing much about Mac OSX at the time I didn't play around.
    All I really want to be able to do is calibrate the second screen, if I can do both screens then so much the better.
    Barry.

4. willie45

willie45 Well-Known Member

I always thought that one of the main advantages of Macs was the fact that their representation of colour, when properly calibrated and used as part of a mac solution was pretty reliable. My understanding was that the whole Apple package was a good "out of the box" solution for digital imaging and you didn't need to fiddle about with things too much. If you are saying that you can't trust Apple screens then I am confused.

I can see no sense in buying a computer which comes with screen attached and in which the screen is so unreliable you have to buy another to supplement it. Why is it that you feel the Apple screen is so unreliable and if so why buy an iMac, which, by its nature includes the very screen you don't trust? Have you had experiences which suggest the screen doesn't perform accurately when properly calibrated? If so please do tell. I'd be very interested to hear.

Willie

5. bazzah

bazzah Member

Thanks for the thoughts Willie. My screen isn't calibrated other than the online manual service from Zone Zero.I bought the 17" iMac rather than the 20" or 24" because I wanted 2gigs of ram and my budget wouldn't stretch to either of the bigger models.

The screen image is good but not sharp enough and there is as always the problem of the screen's emitted light in contrast with the photo's reflected light.

I have been poking around in the screen preferences and I have discovered that I can designate either screen as the principal screen so I imagine that even if I can't calibrate both of them then I may be able to calibrate the Dell if it is the principal.

The sheer comfort of having the image on a 24" Dell and the tools on the Mac is the big attraction as the 17" screen is crowded and the photo isn't the principal element.

The iMac is good out of the box but it's "consumer" limitations are shown up when a well exposed pic comes out of the superb R2400.

So when I get the dosh together I will give a whirl and let you know how it goes. :)

6. willie45

willie45 Well-Known Member

I can see the advantages of having more space to work on and also that the 17inch screen would be less than ideal for your purposes. I was just a bit puzzled when you said that you didn't trust the apple screen because it suggested to me that you thought that the Apple was an unreliable product.

I know Dell screens are good (although I'm not a big fan of Dell at the moment having had a fairly mixed service from them recently)but I thought Apple were usually at least as good and certainly suitable for photography.

I have to say I've done my fair share of slagging off Apple in the past, but I'm warming to them just at the moment, having been using a MacBook Pro from work for a couple of months and finding it quite a pleasure. I did set this up with a second monitor (strangely enough, a Dell) to see how it went and it was really amazing the difference the extra space made. I haven't played about with it enough to know anything about calibration though so my ramblings are of no help to you I'm afraid.

It might be worth having a look in some of the mac forums for your answer.

Willie