1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SD Card problems

Discussion in 'Help Team' started by LukeBurst, Jun 3, 2017.

1. LukeBurst

LukeBurst New Member

Hi, I've recently started getting into Photography and have bought my first camera and a 64GB SD card along with it. I want to start deleting some of the test photos I took, so I put the SD card into my laptops card reader, however it says the card is in read-only mode and I cannot delete items.

Now, the SD is definitely unlocked, I've even tried sellotaping the lock switch so it doesn't get changed when it is inserted, but that does nothing. Other SD cards work fine in the card reader and also this SD card works fine in my friends laptop, so it seems as though my laptop just doesn't want to play with my SD card. I know I can connect the camera to the laptop and delete things that way or just delete them on the camera, but I like to be able to just take the SD card out and plug it in, you know?

What I am using;
    SD: SDXC 64GB Digi-chip Speed-Pro
    Laptop: HP Envy 15 Notebook, running Windows 10
    Camera: Nikon D3300

Any help would be appreciated, but like I have said it's not an issue with the card or the card reader themselves, just a compatibility issue.

2. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

Put the card back in the camera. Go into your menu and select 'Format Memory Card'. Select 'Yes'. This will wipe your card of all images. I believe that this is also the best method to prevent any future data corruption issues.

3. LukeBurst

LukeBurst New Member

Just tried it but that did not work

4. exspmr

exspmr In the Stop Bath

Go here. Follow the instructions in the reply by "SpiritX MS MVP".

5. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

I strongly believe that there is a fault on the card reader installed in the computer. Suggest you get (or get access to) a SD to USB adaptor. I bought a couple from 7dayshop recently and they are not expensive https://www.7dayshop.com/memory

6. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

If the card cannot be fornatted in camera or read on the computer then it might be u/s. Try formatting in your friend's computer if that fails you know it is the card.

7. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

The fact it will not format in the D3300 is worrying.

You said you got card & camera together, from same supplier? What make of SD is it please?

When I buy memory cards I use test software to make sure all the memory is true. There have been a number of fake cards around that are low size and lie about their capacity.

So I wonder if your "64GB" is truly 64GB

8. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

This sounds like the read-only "fail mode" which USB drives adopt when problems are detected. I believe it applies to Solid State drives generally, and I suppose SD cards are really just small SSDs, so I presume that it would apply to these, too.

Sadly, it appears to be time for a new card (or a refund/replacement, if still under warranty).

9. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I'd stick to main brands. Unless you need 64 GB a size that reflects normal one day use is also a good idea as it encourages you to download what is on the card to safe storage. I tend to use a wire rather than swap cards between camera and computer.

10. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

There have been many fake cards sold over the internet. A friend bought one a while back from an eBay seller that was supposed to be 64GB but was actually very much smaller. A complaint to eBay got his money back and I see the seller is now "not a registered user".

11. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

^^^
    This. It also lessens the chance of damaging contacts in the card slot.