1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratched photo wins Fujifilm Student Photographer of the Year 2016

Discussion in 'News - Discussion' started by CSBC, Jul 25, 2016.

1. CSBC

CSBC RIP (News Editor)

2. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

I could just about live with the photo but the pretentious judge-justification was a smidgen OTT.

3. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

It is not a photograph that I would choose to own . If it was in a wast basket I would assume it was chucked out.

Andrew Flannigan likes this.
  4. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Most of my Chinon EE shots are as good/bad as that......
    You decide which is applicable...;)

5. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

The kind of stuff we used to bin!

6. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

Makes you wanna give up!

7. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

No! Not now that I've just seen a competition-winning standard that I'm actually capable of achieving!

Cheers, Jeff

EightBitTony and Geren like this.
  8. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Actually, I quite like the photograph. However, what the heck is 'added authenticity'? And how does 'adding scratches' get it for you?

9. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

The sort of thing that film photographers used to take great care to avoid (dust, scratches, colour shifts from out-of-date film and so forth) are all the rage nowadays.

Late last year I met a young chap using a Nikon F2 at a re-enactment event and, out of a general interest in his work, have kept track of him through social media since then. He has a good eye for a picture, but he uses ancient film and processes it using bizarre concoctions of his own devising.

I often think "well, that would have been a great picture if it'd been on decent film and processed correctly" however his on-line circle of friends and followers rave about his work as it is.

He's happy and his followers are happy so who am I to criticise if he decides to process 1984 rolls of HP5 using a mixture of Rose's Lime Cordial, golden syrup and Camp Coffee? As long as he's enjoying himself where's the harm...

Cheers, Jeff

EightBitTony likes this.
  10. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

Perhaps it was selected to get more publicity, not that I'm cynical.

11. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Maybe it was the only entry? I spent a few minutes on the site looking for the non-winners with no success.

12. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Well quite. But 'added authenticity'? C'mon. They're havin' a larf.

I made a book in second year at art school - actually I made five. The idea was to make a book, with some kind of concept behind it, and then to make four more versions of the book with one thing changed in each to see how the change affected the reading of the images. I started out with a series of images shot on black and white film. I made a series of 'interventions' to the negatives, including shooting them with a digital camera, cutting them up into shapes and rearranging them, and then finally, scratching line drawings onto the emulsion and making prints from those. The point was to make the first run of prints truly a one-off because the unadulterated negatives were then destroyed...and to see waht I could do with the 'broken' negs. But 'added authenticity'? No.