1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scrapping a car

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by daft_biker, Jan 12, 2018.

1. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Just used Scrap a Car Scotland to come pick up an old car....phoned them Wednesday and the guy said he would be here between 8 and 9am Friday.

He came at more like half 7 and was away at 0740 after giving me a cheque for £120 and filling in the V5.

Nice and easy but other people had me worried that it would be a hassle. Surprisingly the old car battery took a charge and started so I got lucky in getting the car out the garage too:)

2. miked

miked Well-Known Member

Very good, and now we'll have to assume you are back to riding your bicycle. In this weather I'll advise you to leave the kilt at home in favour of trews. The sporran you can stuff down the back of the trews as it'll mitigate the hardness of the seat.

3. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Still have the lpg wagon although it no longer runs on lpg and the mot is up soon so I'm making way for the next one.

I don't do much of that sitting down and pedalling type of cycling.... Shoving the bike up a hill to hurtle back down works for me:)

4. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

What led to the demise - or otherwise - in vehicles using LPG? The Taxman, or lack of charging points?

5. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I don't think there has been a demise as such. There was much publicity about conversions at one time but I think there is a lot of fleet use.

6. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Complexity and lack of experienced mechanics willing to service them I reckon.

Think as well as a service to clean out wax from the fuel suspect mine needs a new diaphragm in the vaporiser which looks like fun to try to get to and a fiddly job to do the cheap way or replace with a £250 part. Either way I've never had a call returned from a garage wanting the work within reasonable distance.

Seems to be hard on engines too....mine shouldn't be worn out at 135k but I think if I pull the spark plugs cylinder 1 will be manky and tell me why I've been getting the occasional engine warning code and blue smoke on some cold starts.

Also, lowered sports suspension doesn't seem to last when you go rally driving so all that stuff is knackered too.

I bought a learning experience with that one!

7. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Dear Andrew,

What led you to scrap the car in question?

Cheers,

R.

8. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Lack of servicing. Probably did over 30000 miles on the same oil and filters but I think driving it in such a way that would warrant a dry sump did a lot of damage in one night.

The floor was rotting anyway.

9. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Thanks,

Cheers,

R.

10. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

There was also this....

cvjoint.jpg

After the GTR on a wet B road encounter it felt like it had a square wheel:oops:

Fixing that bit would have been an excuse for an impact wrench but there was no point given the other problems.