1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scottish Currency

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Jack D3200, Feb 14, 2014.

1. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Yes, read it in the papers yesterday. Guess what? It's not just that Island... talks have been going on between some of us for a few months now.

Kate

2. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

You should be so lucky! I live in village not so far from London - in populous part of the so called 'home counties'. We have no prospect of high speed.

If anyone else tells me that the Home Counties get preferred treatment I'll drown them in cold porridge.

MickLL

3. Catriona

Haha!I'll let you move here if you want?Can't guarantee the weather will be hot, but the welcome would be. :)

4. mikeh201355

mikeh201355 Well-Known Member

Yep!! This is something I have been wondering for some time and several activists have said that their preferred seat of power is (in order) Norway, Westminster then Edinburgh. And Orkney is sort-of rumbling as well.

Now, what was Salmond saying about natural resources?

5. Catriona

And my Western Isles too. They have had talks already.
    There's also talk from one of the major oil companies about a huge field to the west of my Isle of Lewis, just waiting to be test drilled. So far only about 20 test drills have been done there (compared to about 3,000 in the North Sea) and the prognosis is excellent.

6. mikeh201355

Whaddya reckon - Shetland and the Isles ganging upon Holyrood?

You won't need that broadband cable, you'll be able to buy your own personal broadband satellite!!

7. KeithLeslie

KeithLeslie Well-Known Member

OMG, what a tangled web we weave, eh? Beginning to sound like one of the old Ealing comedies!!! Not "Whisky Galore"...."Oil Galore"!

I read the bit about the Shetlands and Orkney maybe wanting to become Crown Dependencies like CI. I'm not sure they would if they examined CI closely; landed gentry (about 30 families on Jersey, for instance) owning virtually all the land; everything biased towards the needs of the rich; RBS (and various other big banks) on the seafront at St Helier, all these black posh 4x4s driven by female clones hurtling down the lanes around 4 pm to pick up their little dahlings from private schools; loads of immigrants (E Europeans and Madeirans mainly) running the farms hotels, shops, etc, whilst locals have to scratch a living, driving around in white vans rushing from small gardening/painting/window cleaning job to to job. Paradise! Honest.....

It used to be lovely. Once..

8. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Since the Wetminster Parliament allowed a referendum to the Scots, would it not be the decent democratic thing to allow Shetlands and Orkneys a referendum to join a Scandinavian country if one of them is willing to accept them.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2014
  9. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

Passport to Pimlico!

Well just been for the walk to polling station with the family...amazing number of family groups heading that way too. Great buzz about the place. Very busy at the poll- minor traffic jam in the school corridor.

Graeme

10. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Was busy when we went down this morning with a small queue to get in.

A chap on one side of the entrance petted the dog and a chap on the other side had a Nikon. Helped make my mind up ;) :D

11. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

Another half hour and it'll be all over - bar the shouting.

12. mikeh201355

Or the shouting in the bar....

13. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

I believe that there are a significant number of pubs in central Glasgow who have all night licences.... there will be shouting, there will be greeting but most of all, there will be drinking.

Graeme

14. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

I just heard a story...not confirmed....that a polling station in Falkirk closed an hour early! It had hit 100% turnout!

Graeme

15. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

Not Falkirk.... Friockheim.... well done Bob!

Graeme

16. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

I can only assume that everyone stayed up too late, in order to discover the results, and that this is why no-one has commented on the actual result. What strikes me is that the margin was at the high end of what I expected, making it distressingly less likely that Westminster will take much more than token action when it comes to greater devolution.

Cheers,

R.

17. mikeh201355

All done and dusted.
    But something tells me the negotiations after this vote will possibly be more convoluted than if it had been 'Yes' - deciding what level of powers Scotland will get, whether this will come with additional finance, having to match those powers with Wales and N Ireland, and how to develop an England-only Parliament, solving the West Lothian questoins and agreeing how all that will work within the Westminster system.

Oh, boy!!!

18. Trannifan

Trannifan Well-Known Member

May you live in interesting times..................................

19. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Dear Mike,

Highlight: Doubt it, given the size of the margin.

The biggest debate is likely to be over the question being settled "for a generation": 20-30 years for humans, or maybe 10 days for a fruit fly.

On all other questions, as far as the English are concerned, the words "kick" and "long grass" spring to mind. As do the words "token" and "cosmetic".

Cheers,

R.

20. mikeh201355

I think if the vote had been close, then Scotland would have got an even better deal than they do now under Barnet formula (which defintiely favours them) as well as getting more powers (essentially buy the quietude of the people north of the border).
    As it is I think they will get more powers but little to no more money and be told 'if you want to spend more money on the NHS [or whatever cause] raise it yourself'. In that respect it would well be 'token'.

I know Westminster made comments about 'more equitable share of resources' but tath was a svague as many of Salmond's comments and is one area where I think there will be fewer compromises.