1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scotland

Discussion in 'Photographic Locations' started by ham888, Aug 6, 2008.

1. ham888

ham888 Well-Known Member

Now I know this is along shot and don't slate me for asking such an open question, but here goes.....

I am having a long weekend away, on my own, no missus, pets, just me. All for the sole purpose of taking some photographs.

I will be driving.

Its going to be Scotland. I have been before but only between airport a city centre building site (Glasgow / Edinburgh) and back to airport. So, I have been but havn't if you know what I mean.

Now, heres the $64,000,000 question.....where? ;)

2. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

One weekend...

Driving from Worcester or flying to Edinburgh?

3. ham888

ham888 Well-Known Member

Drive from Worcester.

I will be in Scotland Fri, Sat, Sun & Mon nights, drive back Tuesday. So 3 clear days.

4. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

The simple answer is - anywhere. What sort of thing do you want to photograph? How far are you prepared to drive? It's a mighty long way from Worcestershire to the Highlands, for instance - even Loch Lomand is going to take you 6 hours driving or more (probably a lot more), and that's if the roads are clear. Each way, so it eats into your available time. If it's mountains you're after, you're probably better off with Snowdonia or the Lake District simply for that reason. If you're happier with less craggy peaks, there's plenty to photograph in the Borders or Dumfriesshire, and it's a lot more peaceful most of the time, too.
    What sort of accomodation are you after? Edinburgh at Festival time is crazily expensive and rooms are in short supply, for example, so if you're after seeing a city, Glasgow might be a better bet right now - and is well worth a visit anyway.
    So if you can be a bit more specific in what you're after, we can be a bit more helpful with ideas.

5. ham888

ham888 Well-Known Member

OK.

Driving distnance - doesn't bother me.

Been to lakes (albeit not to take photo's) so not there.

I know Edinburgh is a beautiful place (as I'm sure Glasgow is) but not a city.

I want to "get away from it all" the more remote and beautiful the better. I don't really have a 'target' type of photograph I want.

Accomodation, basic B&B will do me.

It will be September some time.

Walking, photographing, no bl00dy mobile phone, just me, I'll be in heaven.

6. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Peebles and the Tweed Valley? (not that I'm biased living just up the road ;) )

Not the best pic as there are loads of nice hills left of pic (east) but Peebles is at the bottom of the hill I was on:
    [​IMG]
    (you can I think see bits of Peebles on the left edge of the pic)

7. jennief

jennief Well-Known Member

Try Stirling and the Trossachs-you can walk in the hills to get some of the more remote views-Ben Lomond etc. Not too far north -you don't want to spend forever in the car. Perthshire (my patch) has lakes hills etc- Shiehallion, Loch Tay, Queens View to name the more well known ones. The Fife coastal towns are a contrast and offer some great photo opportunites as well. Hope you find something you really like - its a GREAT copuntry. :D

8. Bawbee

Bawbee Well-Known Member

For a convenient location that is easily accessible by road I would suggest Perthshire and in particular Pitlochry.

Have a good scout around for B&B's, there's plenty of them and cheaper away from the main towns.

If you are up in early September, see Graeme's (AGW) post, this may interest you if you are into nature.

The colours will be just starting to change in September but ask the wife if she has access to some Avon 'Skin-so-Soft', it will help to repel the midgies.

Whatever, have a great time. You will become addicted though :cool:

9. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

Yeah yeah, come Bawbee, we all know that's just your excuse for using wimmin's products! ;)

10. Bawbee

Bawbee Well-Known Member

OK, I'm coming out, this is one of current favourite websites (Just don't tell Nick ;)) Clicky

11. beejaybee

beejaybee Marvin

Nah. Get someone else in the party to chainsmoke Gauloises.

12. Rhys

Rhys Sasquatch

Isn't it the Highland Games next month up in Pitlochry? Oh and a stop off at Edradour is a must.. :D (or Blair Athol).

Anywhere on the west coast suits me - off to Fort Bill soon for a week, love it up there. :cool:

13. Bawbee

Bawbee Well-Known Member

C'mon Rhys, a bit of respect for the proper name - 'Fort Willie' :D

That's the best type of protection. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

14. Rhys

Rhys Sasquatch

Brother of Fort George wasn't he? :D

15. RonM

RonM Alpha Napper

If it were me I'd be heading There and as it's near Beaully you could always pop into Here just don't tell the missus ;)

16. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

Lots of good suggestions so far, another to stick in the melting pot would Oban. Like Fort William its not the most excitng town, but it is in a great spot. You have to drive through Loch Lomond NP to get there, Glen Coe is not far away and it is the gateway to Mull and some fantastic wooded and sheltered coast lines. If you really want a compact solution with a little bit of everything in a small area...think about the Isle of Arran. Its the closest big island to Glasgow and has a tremendous variety of opportunity.

Graeme

17. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

Fort william is a good start.
    If you book in advance you can get on the steam train to Mallaig (difficult if you don't prebook) and get some great shots from the train (I'd recommend goggles if you stick your head out of the window - I had soot in my hair and eyes like no-ones business!)

If you don't fancy going on the train, then the Glenfinnan viaduct (used in harry potter) is only a few miles away, and the train goes over that for some nice shots.
    The area around the commando memorial (stronaba) is nice, and of course you will need oodles of memory cards for Glen Coe.
    You can take a cable car up the Nevis range, (about £10) for some nice shots through to the Cuillin range, the only problem is they don't start early enough for sunrise, but sometimes do sunset parties up at the restaurant, so you may be lucky enough to catch a sunset.

18. ham888

ham888 Well-Known Member

OK, well thanks for all those great replies. Gonna sit down and plan a route today.

19. Ecurie_Ecosse

Ecurie_Ecosse Member

Well i quite often go up and down the A9 (the main road to the North) and think 'I'd love to stop here and take a photo.' I think the A9 has some of the most attractive scenery in Scotland and there is a very high chance that deer will be seen. So simply driving about and finding a b+b to stay in is probably the best option.
    Michael

20. willie45

willie45 Well-Known Member

I would also say Pitlochrie is a good starting point.

I would also definitely recommned the Kyle of Lochalsh area where a stop in Plockton would be mandatory IMHO. Easy to get to Inverness or Skye from there. You could explore the Hebrides by ferry from there too and on the way back visit some of the Eastern places. St Andrews and thereabouts is quite nice

Willie