1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scotland Day Out - Sat 27th Jan 07

Discussion in 'Forthcoming Events' started by robkat, Nov 21, 2006.

1. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Hi Pam, try the links in the 2nd last post of page 5 in this thread. There are loads of places to stay all around town and it doesn't seem too busy so you should have plenty to chose from. Some places will have parking but a car won't be needed to get around in town...buses are plentiful and at £1 flat fare on the red buses are an easy way to get around. Staying a mile or two from the city centre won't be a problem.

2. bagpuss

bagpuss Well-Known Member

Re: EDINBURGH!!!!

Here's my attempt at a list of those that are coming:

Daft Biker - Andrew
    Crymble - Keith
    Ermintrude - Nicola
    The Circle Of Confusion - Adam
    Robkat - Robert
    AGW - Graeme
    Bawbee
    Highland-ddmac
    Silverfox-1969

I'll probably be coming up on the Friday, and going back Sunday too.

3. Bawbee

Bawbee Well-Known Member

Sorry Folks

I probably won't be able to make it, Mother diagnosed with the big C - must visit :(

4. robkat

robkat Well-Known Member

Sorry for your bad news, hope things turn out OK.

Robert

5. crymble

crymble Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear that Bawbee.

K

6. Bawbee

Bawbee Well-Known Member

Thanks Keith - and all the others who sent PM's.

Mother actually beat me to Edinburgh, she had to travel from Dumfries to Edinburgh for a scan today. She's doing OK - she says.

7. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Where we start (2 pics)

Terrible news indeed. Having family around at such times can be a great comfort.

For those of us fortunate enough still to be able to make it I eventually managed to get a couple of snaps to show the meeting point.

This is taken inside the bit where you get tickets and food (follow your nose ;)). It's pretty much slap bang in the middle of the station and should be hard to miss. Sorry for the camera phone at night quality :eek:

[​IMG]

I'll aim to be standing where I took the pic or those seats just in front. I'll probably be wearing my favorite hat (the one in my avatar) and will probably be wearing a black jacket too (but a different one...although I was looking at a nice warm looking brown one in a shop earlier...)

Coming down into the station from the road at the side of Princes Street Gardens it looks a bit like this next one...if you get to where I took this picture point yourself the way I have pointed the camera.

[​IMG]

I dunno what folks are thinking for lunch...there will be plenty of bakers and places to get things like sandwiches and drinks along the way so I wasn't planning on weighing myself down too much.

If the light and weather is anything like it has been for the last couple of days there should no shortage of things to point a camera at wherever we are :D

For dinner I won't take much persuasion for finding somewhere that serves steak and beer. What do others fancy doing? Or am I the only one thinking of my stomach?

Any questions PM or post here...PM or email me if you want a mobile number to be able to find us.

Is that enough of a plan for the day???

Thanks for the list Pam. Hopefully it matches up with this one with more real names on it:

Robert - robkat
    Pam - bagpuss
    Keith - crymble
    Andrew - daft_biker
    Charles - lazyboy
    Nicola - Ermitrude
    Adam – TheCircleOfConfusion
    Michael - Boothy
    Duncan - Highland_ddmac
    Brian – himmelblau
    Graeme – AGW
    Paul and Charmaine - Silverfox_1969

Not heard from some people for a while tho ;)

8. AlanW

AlanW Well-Known Member

Re: Where we start (2 pics)

Just a suggestion, if the light is good and folk want to make the most of it then I'd suggest grabbing a bite on the hoof and then stop for something more substantial after 3-ish, thats when the light ususally starts to go even on a good day. If you need a watering hole near the station then the Cafe Royal might be a good place - nice tiled interior and an island bar.

And finally one place you might find interesting for photography - Calton Hill (passing Rock House, once the studio of Hill & Adamson, on the way), supberb views in all directions particularly across to Arthurs Seat and Salisbury Craigs. And while you in Waterloo Place you might want to nip into Old Calton Burial Ground (Tomb of David Hume and a statue of Abe Lincoln!).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The weather's supposed to be dry at least on Saturday, hope you all enjoy yourselves :)

9. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

It's a fine suggestion heading East to start with...there is a nice big hill in the way stopping us wandering too far!

Eating when the light gets boring sounds like a good plan too. There are still plenty things to photograph after dark as there are lots of lights and buildings lit up. A wee drop rain while we're inside refuelling might not go amiss to make the pavements and cobbles extra shiny for night photography ;)

Cafe Royal tho??? It's the pub nearest my work and we always seem to wait ages to get served in there. Thankfully Tiles is just over the road and they have tiles (funnily enough ;)) and an island bar too...and Hoegaarden :)

10. ermintrude

ermintrude Hinkypuff

First of all, sorry to hear your bad news Bawbee, all my best wishes to your mum xx

Secondly, Im positive Im not going to be able to make it, it was looking busy anyway but I found out yesterday I have an interview Monday and I have NO portfolio arranged so I HAVE to spend the weekend directing my arse to gear mode... :( Have fun the rest of you, and I want to see the evidence when you get back :eek: :D

11. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Whenever I've been in there outside the busier hours, it's been empty and quick service - and it is a real Edinburgh landmark!

12. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Hmmm...I wonder how long it would take to get served if I went for a drink now...:p Better not!

Can see sort of why it's a landmark from the outside (sort of)...Would have thought the Guilford next door was more well known as an Edinburgh landmark?

Best time of year for Cafe Royal is during the festival...usually plenty comedy shows on upstairs. (but then again there are all sorts of shows on everywhere during the festival!)

13. AlanW

AlanW Well-Known Member

Was thinking along the same lines, Nick, just thought an authentic pub (rather than a converted insurance office or whatever) would be more appealing to visitors, the interior is a gem IMO.

Cafe Royal, Edinburgh

14. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Quite - it's the interior that's stunning.

I always wanted to do a series on Edinburgh pubs and bars, never got round to it. :(

15. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

I prefer the interior of Jeckyl and Hyde...cheezy I know :eek: . Just never thought of Cafe Royal as anything spectacular...probably because I walk past it daily (am about to do so to go get lunch).

16. AlanW

AlanW Well-Known Member

That's probably where old Robert Louis got the idea for his story. . . . strolling up Dundas Street on his way to the Cafe Royal :D

17. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Maybe he'd just had his 'sauna' at the bottom of Dundas Street!!

Some good pubs down that way too..the Cumberland is one of my favourites. The Ballie is also pretty good too (great food in there). Not to keen on Clarks bar for some reason. Bit of a drinkers pub that one.

Plenty real pubs up in Rose Street too...one has my name on I'm sure (Robertson). Plenty tacky wine bars in George Street...The Grape actually does decent food tho.

18. Highland_ddmac

Highland_ddmac Well-Known Member

Jeckyl and hyde Andrew.....lordy....a stapled together theme pub...I'm sure we could do better than that!!

That said I've always enjoyed myself there...more to do with the company and being a little merry at the time though. All of which means I'm happy to go with the flow.

I'm going to have to disappear at some point between 11 and 12. My old banger of a car is being serviced and put through and MOT and the garage closes at 12. Touch and go whether or not it can be revived....may be heading for the scrap yard depending on how much it costs to keep it running.. :( :mad:

I'll be back after collecting it though so will catch up with everyone wherever they are.

Any ideas of itinerary? Any of the visitors to Edinburgh got something they want to see/photograph??

So far it seems like meet at the station...red carnation and camera bag for identification....then a wander up calton hill...suits me. The garage is down near pilrig.

BTW if any of those folk coming to Edinburgh are familiar with fiddling with the white balance settings on a 400d then a master class would be appreciated :D. I can change the settings, but understanding the why's and what changes to make for desired effects etc..is what I'm trying to understand. Unfortunately not had much time to play with my new camera yet.

19. Silverfox_1969

Silverfox_1969 Well-Known Member

You're right... nothing to do with bikes!!! It does however have to do with cars... this one in particular:

Click to view image...

20. bagpuss

bagpuss Well-Known Member

Sorry folks - can't make it. :( I am gutted, but had to spend an extra £100 on brake caliper for Mondeo today (ironically only took it in because I was going to be driving to Edinburgh!), Mr. Bagpuss has a meeting he can't get out of on Friday, Munchkins have colds and I hate leaving them when they aren't well. Just too many things on generally.

Hope you all have a fantastic time!