1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scotland Day Out - Sat 27th Jan 07

Discussion in 'Forthcoming Events' started by robkat, Nov 21, 2006.

1. robkat

robkat Well-Known Member

Well I never, just figured out how to start a new interesting thread.

For those interested, it is proposed a day out in peebles area.

Please register your interest here.

Robert

2. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

Re: Scotland Day Out

It's a sticky now.

Just so you can find it again :)

3. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

If we're going all the way to Scotland then at least make it worthwile. A week on the big ridges in Wester Ross.

4. lazyboy

lazyboy Well-Known Member

I'd be interested in coming along. It does seem rather bad luck for me though that one day is in London and one in Peebles when I live in Harrogate. :mad: /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

5. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

One of my reasons for suggesting Peebles is that you can get a bus there from Edinburgh quite easily (number 62 Firstbus). As much as I like big gnarly ridges up North it is less central and less accessible with public transport.

The countryside round Peebles is stunning (I may be wrong but I think Colin Prior comes from there or has an office there or something), the town is also very picturesque with nice buildings and the river Tweed running through pretty much the centre of town.

Link to pics of Peebles

6. lazyboy

lazyboy Well-Known Member

Did I mention how much I love Scotland. :)

7. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

I agree that I wasn't being very sensible. I would be interested in a day in Peebles if I could arrange one of my trips up North on adjacent dates. I am not planning on being in Scotland until mid March.

8. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Wow...could that be the first time I've been accused of being sensible! :D

I'll leave it for others to negotiate dates as I like to keep my life simple and have few commitments. All I would say is I'd rather it wasn't a Sunday but it's not a deal-breaker for me at least.

9. ermintrude

ermintrude Hinkypuff

Would a Londoner be allowed to come up, depending on dates and activity?

10. robkat

robkat Well-Known Member

Folks

As far as I am concerned the invitation is there for everyone.

Suggestions for dates would be welcome, although I think sometime early 2007 would be an idea. Over to you. :)

11. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Looking at the sun times late Jan or early Feb looks like it might be convenient giving a full day's light for daytime photography and a sunset around 5pm. By the end of Feb it's about 6pm for sunset.

12. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

How did I miss your post Erm??

See comment about keeping it easy for public transport...if you can get to Edinburgh the bus trip south takes about an hour or so (not sure how far...maybe 20 miles). The link I posted above somewhere should have some accomodation info but if you put Peebles in google loads comes back. I'm guessing it will be more than a day trip for you!

...Unless there are further suggestion on location????

13. crymble

crymble Well-Known Member

I think it's an excellent idea. I live about 5 miles from Peebles and have a couple of spare rooms which could save the non-locals the cost of a couple of hotel rooms.

Early 2007 sounds good, but not the middle week of Feb as I may be away on holiday.

Keith

14. bagpuss

bagpuss Well-Known Member

What about Yorkshire born, East Anglia dwellers? Are we allowed too?

15. Bawbee

Bawbee Well-Known Member

Passport?
    Visa?
    Innoculation Certificates?

;)

16. bagpuss

bagpuss Well-Known Member

I have two out of the three. I could bring you some East Anglian produce if you like?

17. Norman

Norman Well-Known Member

Shouldn't need inoculation certificates as the 'midges' shouldn't be a problem at that time of the year. :D

18. Hotblack

Hotblack Dead Horse Flogger

If Visa won't do, will you accept Mastercard? How much is it to get in to Scotland nowadays?

19. crymble

crymble Well-Known Member

Not much - you just need to speak nicely to the locals....or sometimes a bribe of alcohol goes down well.

K

20. Hotblack

Hotblack Dead Horse Flogger

I'll bring my prized bottle of Talisker with me to bribe the border guards then.