1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scanner required for 35mm slides and negatives

Discussion in 'Digital Image Editing & Printing' started by Ray Proudfoot, Sep 4, 2017.

1. Ray Proudfoot

Ray Proudfoot Well-Known Member

Fortunately they're plastic so should be easy to separate.

2. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

By glass Terry meant GePe glazed mounts, they are plastic and are very like the unglazed variety, but have a thin sheet of glass in each side of the plastic mount. I dislike glazed mounts, they have four more surfaces to hold dust and detritus and Newton Rings can appear where the non-emulsion side of the film comes into contact with the glass. They can harbour moisture leading to fungal growth and there is also the danger of the glass breaking with attendant damage to the transparency and the fingers. They were also much more costly.

3. Ray Proudfoot

These slides were shot 1973-1981. I'm pretty sure there is no glass in them. Holding the slides up to the light the images look fine.

4. Ray Proudfoot

Deal concluded yesterday for the Nikon Coolscan V. The deal included the FH-3 film holder (2-6 negs) as well as the supplied film and slide holders. Looks to be in near-mint condition. Serial number begins with a 4 so was built closer to 2009 than 2003.

Tested with mixture of Kodachrome slides and Fuji film. Very quick to scan even on an i3 Intel laptop. Very pleased with how little I had to manipulate images even with demo copy of Vuescan.

Thanks to all for the advice given here. Where it not for you I would probably have ended up with an inferior Plustek or Reflecta.

5. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

^ It's nice to get some feedback. I reckon you've taken the right course with the Coolscan.

6. Ray Proudfoot

Thanks @nimbus . Having looked at scanners for around 2 years I'm pleased I ventured onto eBay and found one so close to home. Only 20 miles west. :)

7. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

Can I ask how much you paid?

Can you load more than one slide at a time?

Enjoy your purchase.

8. Ray Proudfoot

Thanks. I'd rather not disclose the actual price but it was roughly half-way from the asking price and my opening offer. The seller had bought the FH-3 film holder separately and one of those is going for £70 on eBay. Given the scarcity of the Coolscan I'm happy with the price I paid.

No, one slide at a time. Nikon did produce a slide feeder but it's probably some daft price on eBay now.

9. Ray Proudfoot

This is my first serious attempt at scanning a Fuji Velvia 100 ISO negative. It was scanned at 4000 and the resultant TIFF was edited in RAW mode in PE14 and saved as a JPG 701x1080.

Does the colour balance look okay? That's probably the hardest bit to get right with the limited facilities at my disposal. I'm pleased with the scan quality. The photo was taken in Feb 1991.

[​IMG]

10. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

It's got some amazingly regular muck over it - looks like text - hard to see anything else.

11. Ray Proudfoot

I'm not sure if you were jesting or serious. Until I buy VueScan that's the watermark.

12. PeteRob

Bit of both - watermarks are deprecated here but you wouldn't know that. It is impossible to judge a picture with writing all over it. I hadn't realised it said "buy vuescan" as its very small on my ioad. I thought you'd written on it. I didn't know that vuescan did that. I thought there was a free version - apologies.

Colour looks great. Image looks a touch soft.

13. Ray Proudfoot

Thanks, understood if your iPad is not showing it large enough. Relieved colour is good. I always used a diffuser for the ladies. Showing every blemish doesn't get you brownie points.

Olympus OM2, Zuiko 85mm f2 stopped down to around 5.6 or f8.

14. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Next step, buy Vuescan Pro.

15. Ray Proudfoot

That's the plan but I have one question that some of you may be able to answer. If not I'll ask the author of Vuescan.

The FAQ states that a licence cannot be moved to a new PC. But what qualifies as a new PC? I know some flight sim products that create a key compromising the CPU, memory, GPU and SSD/HDD. If any change it can trigger a change requiring a new product registration.

Do any of you know what triggers a change of PC. I don't want to buy the pro licence and then find that adding a new SSD/HDD or extra memory negates my licence.

16. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

I was under the impression that you could use it on four devices, which would include a new PC. Additional drives should not be an issue, a replacement of motherboard would be more likely to constitute a change.

17. PeteRob

I'll try to remember to look at the licence next time I log onto my mac. I don't remember the price being very high but if you are about to retire a computer and get a new one it would make sense to do so before buying. Some software locks to hardware but external disks shouldn't be a problem. I tend to buy external ones rather than take the case off and fiddle.

18. Ray Proudfoot

I have no need to install it to 4 PCs. Just the one built 3 years ago with W7. But should anything happen to that mobo and I need a replacement then surely that qualifies as a second PC out of the four allowed.

The wording of this on his website is vague. I would be quite annoyed if a major component failed and a replacement negated my licence. In some respects that would be no better than SilverFast where the licence is locked to the scanner.

Thanks. The wording may be more precise there. The current price is £68 approx so I'd only want to pay once should a change of mobo / CPU or additional HDD be required. Or even a change of OS to Win10.

I have a NAS box which can hold quite a lot of data but that's an external linked drive so should be outside the parameters of his check.

19. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

You can move it to a new PC, and in fact I did it again at the end of August... so far my licence has outlasted four PC's.
    When I bought it there was only Vuescan not Vuescan pro. we were all upgraded when the pro version came out.

You must have your customer number, invoice number and original email address to register it.
    I have changed my email address three times since then.....
    My invoice number is under 9000 so I must have been a very early user. it is over half a million now.

20. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

Colour balance looks fine to me. seems strange to see diffused portraits today. Digital portraits normally starts with critical skin sharpness which is then plasticised in software.