1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Saving TIFF to JPEG from the wrong number of bits

Discussion in 'Help Team' started by gray1720, Oct 6, 2019.

1. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

I've just discovered that I can't save a pic (saved as a tiff) I'm trying to resize as a jpeg. I recall from running into it before that it's due to saving with the wrong number of bits but I'm damned if I can remember how to get round it.

Bright ideas welcomed, please.

Thanks!

Adrian

2. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Does Resize help? It allows you to change certain parameters in Elements. Perhaps changing some of those will then allow you to save as JPEG.

3. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Most programs use "export" rather than "Save as" to change file formats. The resize dialogue usually turns up as an option in the export process

4. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Select 8 bits per channel in a submenu then go to save as?

5. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

This is what he meant to say....

gray1720 likes this.
  6. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Google is my friend, in the end. It told me which submenu, or I could hav ebeen here for weeks.

Image>Mode>8 bits/channel and I'm off.

Already working on a copy... I've done that before and suffered the quincequonces.

Adrian

Catriona likes this.
  7. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Save as creates a new file....the 16 bit TIFF would remain intact.

I use save for web after resizing which works from 16 bit files but then I have to discard the changes to the TIFF.

8. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Yes, so long as you remember to use save as and not save. Experience has taught me to make a copy!

daft_biker likes this.
  9. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

It is a good reminder if the s/w requires an export to change the format.
    Its worth remembering that every time that one edits a jpeg and saves it, there is a slight loss of quality; this can be very significant over a number of edits. It is a good idea when editing jpegs to save the edit in a format which is not lossy. Only export another jpeg when you are finished.
    There are other reasons for working with a lossless16 bit format even if your original is an eight bit jpeg. Imagine applying a curve or gradient.