1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Saving edited RAW CR2 files from Canon650D on Mac

Discussion in 'Digital Image Editing & Printing' started by Jan08, Aug 18, 2017.

1. Jan08

Jan08 Member

Hi.
    I'm new to shooting in RAW. Ive always played safe and shot in jpg, but wanted to have more versatility . I haven't bought photoshop yet - almost bought Elements a few years ago, but have managed with the software that came with the camera.
    So I am using DPP . The other day I shot a lot of seascapes and some of the horizons needed adjusting, which I thought I had successfully done. When it came to saving the edited image, or converting to jpg to tiff, it saved it as a thin band down the middle of the picture. The thumbnail on the side looked ok, but I couldn't then use the image.
    As I said - I'm new to this and obviously missing something . Fortunately I shot in jpeg as well as RAW and could use some of the photos without the askew horizons . I have tried to follow the instructions that come with DPP.

Any advice for this newby?

2. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Curious...:confused:

I have adjusted the horizon in DPP. In my version (an old version of DPP3) you open the crop tool and the horizon adjustment is slider in the middle of the side panel. Adjustment is best made by either sliding the marker or entering a number directly in the box - IIRC using the mouse wheel with the box active also adjusts the angle. With my copy the image does automatically crop to fit as the image rotates (this may be an option, I can't remember and DPP is at home while I'm currently not). I'm wondering if somehow you have added an extreme crop to the image.

When you look at the thumbnail in the main widow can you see a white line or box on the image? Although DPP applies the crop in the edit window (actually how does the image appear in the edit window) the thumbnail always shows the full image area with the crop hilighted by a white box.

To get back to the original image look through the various options on the main menu toolbar at the top of the screen. The submenus under one of these options should off the option to 'Revert to original settings', click this and any errors you have made should be cleared. Remember DPP does not change any of the original data when you edit - it writes, somehow, an additional set of instructions into the file's metadata which tells the program how to convert the raw file when you save it to JPEG or TIFF format. When you revert to the original settings these extra instructions are erased and nothing else.

3. Jan08

Jan08 Member

Thanks El Sid .I'll have a play with DPP again and check I haven't cropped by accident and your other suggestions.

4. Jan08

Jan08 Member

I think you're right. I have cropped the image massively. Because there is no obvious line when I've been cropping - as in other software - I hadn't realised. Also the adjustment tool is very fine and I'd missed the fact that I hadn't got it exactly on the line. Need to practise more with DPP. Thanks again

5. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

You probably accidentally clicked on the image. If I remember correctly you click and drag to define the crop area. Everything can be undone when you process raw files. DPP is very powerful but sadly lacking in instructions.

6. Jan08

Jan08 Member

Thank you. I probably did. The click and drag doesn't show any visible lines and so I didn't recognise where I'd cropped - not meaning to. The level adjustment is so sensitive too. Getting used to DPP. As you say instructions are minimal. Does anyone know if photoshop is any easier?

7. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

There used to be some tutorials for DPP3 on the Canon USA site. I've moved mainly to Lightroom for its indexing capability but also because I have different cameras and with LR all my images can be processed in one place. Now I use DPP 4 mainly for the quick check facility and haven't used it widely for processing. The raw processors all do more or less the same things. DPP 3 had a nice ability to process many images at once in the clone tool and in the stamp tool which was extremely useful if shooting similar subjects - you could fix the first then reapply/modify several following images without returning to the main edit screen. I suppose DPP 4 is the same.

Photoshop is a different animal. It shares a raw processor with Lightroom but is a full graphic arts program aimed at professional retouchers and graphic artists. You can do absolutely anything you can imagine, and a lot more, to an image! It has a big learning curve.

8. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

When in the crop tool there should be a check box labeled Crop Border On or something similar, if you check that you should see a white line round the cropped area. You should also have a slider which controls the opacity of the cropped-off area. I tend to keep this at around 75% opacity which darkens the area cropped off and allows me to get away without using the crop border as i can still see where the crop edge is.

Must admit I've never found any instructions (mind I've never really looked either). DPP, at least version 3, isn't terribly complex compared with most raw converters but it can be a bit clunky in use. I don't much like the colour tone adjustment or at least I can't get the hang of it. The crop tool is actually quite good once you get to grips with it. The close tool is rather less so being a bit crude and clumsy. Things may have improved in DPP4 but I don't have that.

All editing software has a learning curve but DPP is a bit shallower than most. One advantage it does have is that unlike 3rd party software it automatically applies any in camera settings for picture style etc. to the raw image meaning that unless you need to make any changes to the white balance or want to apply a different picture style you can go straight to the JPG tab and work from there.