1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SanDisk unveils world’s first 1TB SDXC card at Photokina

Discussion in 'News - Discussion' started by CSBC, Sep 21, 2016.

1. CSBC

CSBC RIP (News Editor)

2. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

I'd hate to fill one of them up then have something go wrong with it... :eek:

Roger Hicks likes this.
  3. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

Well, their 512GB SDXC card is currently selling for around £300, so I suspect that a 1tb card is going to be far more than that. I suspect that it isn't going to be appearing on my shopping list for the foreseeable future!

Cheers, Jeff

4. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

you would need two of them and write to both for any sort of security.
    I suppose with the new Medium format digital cameras you could fill them up on a shoot.

5. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Most likely this is partly a demonstration of what can be done and partly a bit of forward planning for 8K video and beyond...

6. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Essentially a video card, and probably essential for that. As beatnik69 says, a nightmare for still photography. The main reason I use 8 Gb cards is that it's getting harder and harder to find 4 Gb.

Cheers,

R.

7. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Try finding a 2Gb!...:rolleyes:

8. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Dear Nigel,

Indeed. Though I still have at least one 1Gb.

Cheers,

R.

9. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Skulking about in my draws somewhere there's a 16Mb card that came with my D30 a decade or so back - just about holds 5/6 raw files. Now they're waving whole terabytes around...:eek:

10. ChrisNewman

ChrisNewman Well-Known Member

My brother has an old digital compact which eats AA batteries so fast I think it could double as a hand-warmer. His card was full, so I gave him a 1GB card my son had passed on after being given it at a show. Then I won a 32GB card for a letter to AP, which gave me a spare 4GB card. I was going to offer it to my brother, but its capacity is too big for his compact!

Chris

11. PentaxManiac

PentaxManiac Well-Known Member

No problem - I still buy loads, for my Pure radio that records DAB, and won't take anything larger. I've also got a couple of old digital compacts that won't take anything larger either.

PicStop told me Sandisc had stopped doing them, but Premier Ink still have them in several brands, including Delkin with the great cases.

K Kapoor likes this.
  12. ChrisNewman

ChrisNewman Well-Known Member

5/6 raw files on 16MB! The JPEGs from my D800 are often over 20MB!

Chris

13. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

So wot? SDXC is sooo yesterday. XQD is today's medium of relevance.

14. K Kapoor

K Kapoor Member

Does one really need a 1TB SD card? I use a kingston 8gb card and don't deal with raw files much. Using a 1TB sd for storage is very scary, I just lost a 16gb card while trying to switch on the lock. Its gone kaput. So I dont't see much use of a 1TB card. We get 16 gbs for 12 USD and that suffices. Can anyone think of a good requirement for a 1tb card?

15. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Not for a still camera but 4K video probably eats memory and when 6 or 8K arrives....

16. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Will it be fast enough? 1TB XQD anyone? Not for me of course but I am sure that there will be some videographers who would like a few.

17. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Well if you were using a 1TB card, you wouldn't need to use the lock...

In general, larger cards are safer because most of the risks are associated with removal and replacement, and there's less need to do that in a shooting environment. Also less easy to lose the card if it's safely in camera...

K Kapoor likes this.
  18. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

I have adopted the approach of have just two 32GB cards for still work I find that is more than enough for whole days shooting :) I can also pass on a recent experience in term of SD flash cards. I misplace a load of small SD cards which had MP3 files of music from my CD collect. A few of the cards had not be used for over 8 years!

But they all read perfect onto the computer. So they held their data all that time. You could quite clearly see from the directory dates it was over 8 years in some cases when the data was placed into the chip. :)

It makes sense when you think about computers in general. All modern machines use flash to store the BIOS. Now if data was to get lost from a BIOS chances are the machine would have booting issues. I have a machine using a motherboard from over 16 years ago. Still working. LOL

It is quite staggering that we have now reach 1TB on SD card. LOL Even for high res video it is a lot of space. :)

How long before 2TB is released :p LOL

19. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Last year I bought a 32GB card, 1000 images later I discovered that the Nikon D3 starts a new folder on a card after 1000 images even though the file numbering system can cope with 10,000. A 1TB card would be bigger than my hard disc, but only by 40GB, so I wouldn't be able to move the images anywhere.

This clearly isn't intended as a practical proposition, yet, but it clearly demonstrates the technology..

20. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

Well it has practical applications. 8K video will down the line become a feature of later cameras. :)

As for still work. That comes down to technology breakthroughs that will allow pixel counts to still rise.

But as pointed out it also depends if the SD form factor can offer the data rates that systems will need.

I said along time ago that the need for removal memory might die out. Especially with wireless transfer systems as well.

In which you put your camera down and it just sends it data to your computer system. It might even as mobile networking improves just upload to cloud data storage.