1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Samsung ST500 Disassembly

Discussion in 'Other Brands & Accessories' started by justinvivian, Dec 2, 2011.

1. justinvivian

justinvivian New Member

The lens on my daughters Samsung ST500 recently got stuck, and being out of warranty and the cost of repair being equal to the price of a new camera I am trying to repair it myself. I found some basic disassembly instructions, but need something a little more detailed, as I have no idea about how to disconnect the connectors to the circuit board, to enable the lcd screen and lens removal. Can anyone help or point me in the right direction? Many thanks.

2. GuyWood

GuyWood Well-Known Member

I've taken a lot of small things apart. Do you have a pic of the connectors?

3. justinvivian

justinvivian New Member

Hi Guy,

Thanks for coming back to me. Unfortunately I don't have any photo's at the moment. I will take the camera apart again and see if I can get some.

I have however attached a copy of the disassembly instructions I have. They may not be very useful, but if it helps the connectors are a link between the main circuit board and a ribbon strip.

Thanks

Justin

[​IMG]

4. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Did you hit the image button then paste the link?...I just get a red box showing.

To post a link on here type something, select it and then hit the insert link button......clicky.

5. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

When the lenses on this type of camera stick it is usually because the plastic gears have failed. Certainly you have nothing to lose by attempting a fix, but such cameras are not really intended to be repaired.

6. justinvivian

justinvivian New Member

Daft_biker, thanks for that. No idea what i did but the link you pasted clearly works much better.

Nimbus, understand what you are saying. But the camera has had little use during its first year of life and i just cant believe that the gears fail that quickly. But we shall see when I eventually get to them.

Guy, does the link post by daft_biker help?

7. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Oooh! That does nothing to cheer me up. My Minolta Z75W has had little use in the past year or so and recently misbehaved with lens opening, extending and shutting. It can get switched on while in its case {design boo-boo around switch area! :(} and I WAS hoping - as I've just ordered a new battery {spare was u/s! :(:rolleyes:} - that it was merely lack of volts that is leaving the lens uncovered and a return to normal.

But now I'm not so optimistic ... :(

But back to the OPs problem - lack of use and plastic gears = (I think) trouble in the world of compacts - even relatively expensive, digital ones. The other problem can be swarf produced by moving parts that should not rub against each other doing just that. I gather Panasonics can be vulnerable to black paint coming off darkened surfaces and jamming up the works or landing on sensors! Haven't heard about Samsungs.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2011