1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Samsung GX10 DSLR

Discussion in 'Other Brands & Accessories' started by Bryan Waters, Sep 16, 2018.

1. Bryan Waters

Bryan Waters Member

Hi all I am new to photography and a bit stuck with my camera. I bought it second hand as a starter entry, and did not get any info with it. I downloaded the manual, but it's like a different language to me (my grey hair wont take much in nowadays). All I basically want to do is take some good photos but with all the settings I am at a loss. I can't seem to find much help reqarding this camera. Any info would be great. Thank you for taken your time in ready this.

2. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

The GX10 is a rebadged Pentax K10D, so lenses should be easy to get hold of.

There's a review here which will give you the gen, plus an idea of how good it is.

3. Bryan Waters

Bryan Waters Member

Thank you for reply I will look at the review :)

4. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

There are two different things. How a specific camera can be configured, which can be hugely complicated, and how you take photographs. I always use a digital camera like a film camera. It might take some reads of the user manual to set it up, most of what 'can' be done is best left at default settings. Look for a s/h copy of any learner book on 35 mm photography from the '60s to '80s to get the basics.

5. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

My first DSLR was a Pentax K10, which is virtually identical to your Samsung GX10.
    I only replaced it when I had a chance to get a later model (Pentax K5) at a good price.

I recall it had a 'P' (Program) setting which is the 'point and shoot' setting that only requires you to make sure the autofocus has caught the subject you want to shoot before you press the shutter. (I am assuming you have it with the 18-55 kit lens and are using it in daylight).

A word of encouragement - when used with a decent lens, the GX10 should be capable of taking pictures that are good enough to get decent 40 x 60 cm prints, or even larger. On the wall behind my monitor I have a 50 x 75 cm print taken with my K10 and a Sigma 10-20 mm wide angle zoom lens.

The advice above about finding about what the various settings do, and how to use them, is excellent. I recall that the user manual for my K10 was quite good, but I was reading it after 35 years of using film SLR cameras. Your camera is not really a beginner's model, but if you persevere it is capable of good results.

RogerMac likes this.
  6. Chester AP

I thought more about this, and although my comment above want meant to encourage you, it doesn't help much with your immediate problem of trying to use a fairly complex DSLR when it is something completely new to you.

I assume you have the 18-55 kit lens, the battery that goes in the camera body, a memory card in the camera body, and the user manual. You may find it helpful to refer to the relevant pages in the manual about my suggestions below.

Check these things first:
    The 'open' lock with its pull-up handle opens the battery compartment under the body. The battery may need to be charged (do you have the charger?)
    There is a small switch at the lower right of the lens mount (as you face the camera) for autofocus settings - set it to the AFS-S (single shot) setting.
    There is a switch for anti-shake on/off (lower right of back of body) - set this on.

Using the menu pages:
    If the previous user has changed lots of settings from the default ones, look for an option to 'reset all default settings' (or similar) and then do the above.
    The following are intended to help you use it to gain confidence before getting too technical and possibly putting you off.
    You will have to go into the menus that are displayed on the screen at the back of the camera body (see menu button on back of body). As you work your way through the 'pages', look for the following (movement through the menu pages is controlled by the 4 way pad with OK on the middle, beside the screen on the back of the body):
    ISO (sensitivity of the sensor) - set this to 200 for your first trip out in daylight.
    Colour temperature (tells the camera what light source you have) - set this to daylight or cloudy (whichever is accurate).
    JPG File size/quality (size of image file created) - set this to 'best' or 'big' (I don't recall the term used).

I would leave everything else on its default setting for the time being.

Set the exposure dial (top left) to P (program), go outside in daylight, try to hold the camera steady and try some shots.

You should have a USB cable with the camera that connects in a socket on the left of the body (viewed from the back) for connection to a PC which should recognise the memory card in the camera body in the same way it recognises a USB memory stick. You can copy images to your PC and afterwards delete them using the camera body (see the 'rubbish bin' button on the top left of the back of the body). Alternatively, in the menu pages there is a 'format' option, which clears all images from the card. If they have been copied to your PC, this 'format' option is the simplest way to clear the card.

I could write a lot more, but this is intended just to get you started. You really need to look at the user manual about the various settings, and possibly use Wikipedia to help you if the manual leaves you confused.

Basically you need to learn how to focus the camera, and how the various settings allow you (or the camera on your behalf) to control how much light reaches the sensor to create the image. You have a camera that allows this, but initially it will appear more complex than you want, so my suggestions are designed to reduce this complexity when you first experiment with it.

The images below are copied from the Wikipedia page en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentax_K10D

Have fun.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Chester AP

Have you made any progress?

8. PentaxManiac

PentaxManiac Well-Known Member

When Samsung made DSLRs (or, indeed, any cameras other than those in phones) they certainly were similar to Pentax equivalents. As demonstrated in this slightly comic video. Wonder what became of the chap on the left...…

9. Chester AP

Reviews at the time made it quite clear that both camera bodies were the same, from the same factory, with very minor differences as discussed on this historic video. I don't think that the Samsung version offered Adobe DNG format RAW files, whereas Pentax DSLRs do. This allows my old version of Photoshop Elements to open RAW files from a more recent Pentax body without any problems.

Also, older Pentax DSLRs (like my original K10) used sensors made by Samsung, so perhaps the branding of a Pentax as a Samsung was part of the plan. When Samsung abandoned the DSLR market, Pentax used the 'industry standard' Sony sensors that Nikon and others use too, so the Pentax K5 body I got later has a Sony sensor.

10. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

you can get Samsung raw converter and firmware 1.30 on the Samsung website if you need it.
    Firmware 1.30 allows Pentax sonic drive lenses to be used (such as the 18-135) but of course the SDM lens has to be working in the first place....:rolleyes:

11. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

meant to include the link...oops
    https://www.samsung.com/uk/support/model/ER-GX10ZBBA/FR/

12. Chester AP

Have you made any progress?