1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'S' Series

Discussion in 'Panasonic Chat' started by William Parker, Sep 25, 2018.

1. William Parker

William Parker Well-Known Member

A friend has just sent me an e-mail he had from Panasonic announcing a new mirrorless full frame range. I don't remember reading anything about this new 'S' range has anyone else?

2. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

3. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

I like Panasonic kit a lot but suspect this will be priced well above my pain threshold.

4. William Parker

Likewise Andrew and beyond my pocket too!

5. William Parker

6. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

There have been a few, but relatively quiet.

William Parker likes this.
  7. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

There were mentions on here about the time that the Canon FF mirrorless was confirmed - so that would be a few weeks ago.

8. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Bet none of you have heard of the new Zenit full frame rangefinder with a 50mm f1.0 lens, then. :)

9. William Parker

Well since you mention it, no!

10. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

11. William Parker

12. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I thought it was a joke too when I first saw it - Jeff Meyer has a very good sense of humour, used to get some great puns into AP headlines a few years back when he was sub-editor. But it's real.

13. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

14. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

15. cliveva

cliveva Well-Known Member

They have joined their partner Lieca using the “L” mount, to produce a FF for the masses that can use Lieca lenses. This looks to be a very interesting platform, I.e. sub 5K camera (probabley sub 2K,) that can use lenes to die for , Sigma thinks it can compete, I’m intrigued.

16. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

We appear to now have no fewer than six full frame mirrorless cameras either launched or expected. Which should be great for competition but they all seem to be the same, or similar, prices. We'll see how they all get on.

17. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

More info on the Lumix S Series here.

18. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Interesting. Looks a bit like a "Texas G9". I might consider it when the price gets to 3 figures. ;)

19. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

Apart from the Canon model, do all the others use the same Sony sensors?
    If so, the differences may be cosmetic rather relate to image quality.

20. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

If all cameras came off the same production line in the same bodies, hardware/firmware, lenses but in different colours then I'd say differences between them were purely cosmetic. Image quality depends on a host of things not just the sensor. However it is the handling that differentiates camera models and lenses that ultimately determine IQ.

It doesn't surprise me that full frame cameras are becoming popular. I always thought that APS-C was first considered a stepping stone to the replacement of 35 mm film but that the difficulty in making affordable full frame sensors was badly underestimated, forcing the development of APS-C lens ranges.