1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rusty but FREE Pentax P30 --

Discussion in 'Pentax Chat' started by PeteE, Jan 31, 2019.

1. PeteE

PeteE Well-Known Member

I was given a P30 + two zoom lenses, Cobra Flash, Cobra Bag Cokin Filters --- Camera was all 'rusty' ! Battery cover would not come off so first I took off base-plate having soaked the 3 minute rusty screws in WD40 picked up on a pin, I used my JLS screwdriver set. I took out the old batteries, lubricated the cogs and levers with a minute amount of Sewing Machine Oil, put in fresh batteries having lubricated battery cover and P30 'Creaked Into Life' ! So I got some Hammerite Rust Removal Gel from Brentwood Halfords and painted it on, then after 'infusing' wiped it off and painted on some black Chinese Lacquer with fine brush. Now it looks better. Then i found that lenses were always 'Stopped Down' -- i had a look and lubricated the ring inside lens mount and noticed the 'Depth of Field Lever' was stuck. I prised it up and lubricated it and after 'working it' lenses now stop down as shutter fires.
    Before and After Images ---
    Pentax P30 RUST 01.jpg Pentax P30 RUST 04.jpg Pentax P30 RUST 02.jpg Pentax P30 RUST 05.jpg

2. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Nicely done, Pete

S

Done_rundleCams and Roger Hicks like this.
  3. PeteE

PeteE Well-Known Member

Taken a few 'test' snaps with the 2 lenses included, both of which have 'Fungus' but results at full aperture not too bad under a x6 magnifier. I used 2001 outdated FUJI PRESS 800 rated 400 ASA ( 'thin' -- needed 250 ASA) and home-processed in C41 -- only snaps from front door in the COLD ! Cobra Flash included does not charge up even with fresh batteries left 'on' for hours so capacitor must have gone due to many years of NO USE ! I had to use Weston Meter as 'DX Coding' would set 800 ASA and I used 'manual' exposure setting.

Done_rundleCams and John Farrell like this.
  4. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Yowza :eek: ... great job, Pete :). What two zoom lenses? I'm guessing, an A-28-80/3.5-4.5 and a A-70-200/4 slippery
    push pull ;) Looking forward to seeing some photos and, wow, your mentioning the Fuji Press 800 brought back
    memories :)

Cheers,
    Jack

5. David Loxley

David Loxley Well-Known Member

Neat job there.
    Err do you take on contract work?

Done_rundleCams likes this.
  6. PeteE

PeteE Well-Known Member

The 2 Zoom lenses included are : Takumar -A 28-80mm f3.5-4.5 and Vivitar Macro-Focusing Zoom MC 70-300mm f4.2-5.8 both fitted with 58mm Skylight Filters
    I would offer to clean up and renew Light Seal Strips for people who could come to BRENTWOOD but do not want to get involved with 'postage ' !
    PS -- I'm NOT a Camera Repair Technician !

Done_rundleCams likes this.
  7. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Well, I was half right, Pete :D

Cheers,

Jack