1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rural Crime

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by MJB, Mar 10, 2019.

1. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Reading this report I was unsurprised that there has been just one person charged.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-47409199

I knew rural policing was poor, but the read that neighbouring Dorset has one officer and one PCSO dedicated to rural crime is shocking. I don't know what Wiltshire's provision is, but given that the police have informed us we are actively being targeted by vegan activists (they were seen on the farm yesterday) its quite worrying.

2. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

From the bus yesterday we were looking at all the sheep in fields close to the main road - a tempting target for thieves. If we had enough coppers to just mount proper patrols there might be some hope of controlling the problem but Devon and Cornwall is now 7,000 people (down from 10,000) and struggling with basic services.

Here's a though: if instead of a pay rise we cut MPs' pay in half that would pay to put 650 coppers back on the streets! ;)

3. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Anyone want to buy a sheep, good condition, only slight signs of use?:)

4. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Ewe've been naughty...

dream_police likes this.
  5. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

I'd hang on to it until after Brexit. You'll make a fortune on it! Just look at the price of chops now. :(

PS Just had a thought though. Maybe it will get cheaper if France and co don't get our lambs.

dream_police likes this.
  6. dream_police

No. Just been a little bit baaad.

DaveM399 and Zou like this.
  7. Catriona

Ours come onto the road and straight up to you if you rustle a paper bag. Then you can rustle them with ease.

8. Catriona

Just don't get fleeced or tupped! Ha!
    3505228752_c4ea704161_z.jpg

Zou and dream_police like this.
  9. dream_police

We were on a team walk with work once and we parked up our carrier at Dovestone reservoir. There were many sheep in the car park and we managed to entice one into the van. As it was liveried it wouldn't have been right to steal it, lol.

Catriona likes this.
  10. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

The sheep was liveried? Whatever next...

peterba likes this.
  11. DaveM399

DaveM399 Well-Known Member

Have you seen the number of sheep that seem to be into paintball?!

Zou, peterba and Catriona like this.
  12. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

I'll try to remember to ask my sheep farming customers how much of an issue they have with theft. Fly tipping is certainly a problem on quiet rural roads.... Doubt it would be much harder to fill a van than empty a van in a passing place over a moor.

13. dream_police

Cut backs. The police used to drive pandas, but it is cheaper to use sheep.

Squeeze them and you have a ready built in 2 tones. Baa, baa. Baa, baa. Baa, baa.

14. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

BBC Countryfile did an article on it a while back. It is organised crime - theft on an industrial scale integrated with a slaughter/butchery/distribution operation.

daft_biker likes this.
  15. Andrew Flannigan

...and people accuse senior management of wooly thinking...

16. Catriona

If you are ever thinking about it, you need two people. One at the bottom of the hill trying to catch them, and one at the top to shepherd them into the truck! They always run uphill.

17. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

That sounds a bit like the Rary Bird ( a TV play many years ago) They live in mountains and run counter-clockwise, because they have one leg longer than the other - Thing is when they get to the top, they jump off at which point you hear them call out ....

Catriona likes this.
  18. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

When I moved to Berkshire in 1995, the local police had Land Rovers. Before I moved away in 2000 they'd been replaced by Vauxhall Astras and given instructions that they wern't to drive through puddles more than two inches deep.

Adrian

19. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

A year or so we had theft and vandelism at Rushcliffe Country Park. A powered log splitter was pinched and a buggy 'borrowed' to take the goods away. The police did a good job. Against expectations a scene of crime unit turned up. The offenders had tried to destroy evidence by splashing diesel all over the place. One of the offenders had got the diesel from one of our buggies using a bit of tubing which he had sucked. He left DNA on the tube. The cost of the investigation must surely have been far more than the cost of the stolen equipment.
    Now I and many others suspect that the police had a pretty good idea who was responsible and were out to get him. He was obviously on the books. Good job done. Well done police.
    The prosecution service was a different matter. They temporarily lost evidence and the thieves nearly got away with it. Fotuneately the magistrate listened to to a victim statement from a determined member of the Friends who had raised the cash for the stolen equipment, probably had ideas of his own, and the prosecution service got a bollocking. The case came to court again about a month later, instead of being dismissed and at least some of the thieves were found guilty and one of them got time.
    Previous offences were quite impressive.
    It really must be not only annoying to victims of crime but also the police when the prosecution service screw up .

Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
  20. Andrew Flannigan

There's a reason why CPS is often expanded to Criminal Protection Service.