1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rubbish pictures, should I carry on, or give up?

Discussion in 'Help Team' started by Louise, Oct 19, 2012.

1. Louise

Louise Well-Known Member

OK I had a chat with a friend of mine last night and she said i should consider buying a Sony A330 10mp camera. Apparently like the Pentax it has stabilisation in the body (or the newer model has).

The A330 has Steady shot but is a discontinued model. it's priced at £239, and the newer model is the Sony A57 at £539.99.

Both have 18-55 lens.

what i would like to know is should I go for the Sony A330 or the A57?

Models change every 18mths apparently. Would like to go for the A330, are Sonys good cameras? Many thanks for helping me?

2. Louise

Louise Well-Known Member

Ok thanks

Spoke to my friend last night and she recommended the Sony A330 at £239.99 which is 10mg.

I know this is a discontinued model, as the newer model is the A57 at £539.91. Can you tell me if Sony SLR’s are good , nd if I should aim for the A330 or the A57?

3. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

All the manufacturers of dslrs produce good cameras! We just all have our preferences in handling and features. The built in image stabilisation of some cameras means that all lenses immediately possess the feature, although it is said to be slightly better if this is lens based. The A330 is quite old now and for this figure you should be able to obtain a used A350, indeed I bought an A390 with 18-70 for less than this off ebay a few weeks ago. Which you go for really depends on what you can or wish to spend, the A57 is an SLT with electronic viewfinder, which you may or may not find to your taste.

4. Louise

Louise Well-Known Member

how old, is it worth going for?

5. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

If it is secondhand this looks a touch pricey, if it is new but old stock it will have a full guarantee. If it is used you need to get the price down a bit.

6. Louise

Louise Well-Known Member

That's how much they are asking for it. I think this model came out in 2009 and they won't back down on the price so I might forget about it and see if i can find the Sony A57 cheaper on line. Can you recommend a good internet camera shop?

7. frank1

frank1 Well-Known Member

Jessops sell the a57 for £499.99. My next purchase given the chance of winning a significant sum on the lotto. I may be waiting a long time.

8. Louise

Louise Well-Known Member

Thanks that's useful to know. The only thing is i don't know if they would accept my bridge camera as part exchange.

9. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

I'd be more inclined to recommend a used Canon 40D.....might get one of those for about £250, or about £50 or so more with a basic kit lens which has IS.

10. Louise

Louise Well-Known Member

Does it have image stabaliser built in the body or is it in lens only?

11. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

They won't!

12. frank1

frank1 Well-Known Member

Don't think Jessops do used gear any more I'd recommend selling your camera on Ebay or Gumtree as traders will give you a bad taste in your mouth.

13. Louise

Louise Well-Known Member

Typical Jessops :)

14. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

It's in the lens.

A benefit of putting IS in the lens is that the viewfinder will also be stabilised so you can see what you are doing better. Another benefit of putting IS in the lens is that the AF system can work better with it because the AF sensors also get a stabilised view of the subject.

15. frank1

frank1 Well-Known Member

Jessops are now selling the a57 with a £50 cash back offer.

16. Louise

Louise Well-Known Member

How does the £50 cash back work? I keep thinking it works like what customers get in supermarkets. :confused:

17. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

Having bought the camera you get a voucher which you send to the manufactures and they send you a cheque.

18. Louise

Louise Well-Known Member

Oh that sounds good. So they return £50 off the price I pay for the camera?

19. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

Indeed!

20. Louise

Louise Well-Known Member

I never knew that :D