1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RPS, NPS or ...?

Discussion in 'Talking Pictures' started by andymcd, Jan 2, 2017.

1. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

I'll get back to you on that - my brother-in-law has just given me a two year gift membership as a birthday present.

I woke up this morning just knowing that I am now a much better photographer. :eek: :rolleyes: :D

2. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Fair enough Kate. Have you read the New Year's Message out overnight? It does tackle all these things as PE suggested.It is quite clear from the survey that this was prompted by a level of internal dissent and the proposals seem likely to be far reaching. Anyway my experience of the London Region is overall very good and their events would certainly help a beginner. In fact if I were to criticise it would be at the higher end, not entry level. The bigger all-inclusive events they have run (Bleeding London / Breathing London) have been far more orientated towards the lower levels, which is fine. You could lob in better work if you were up to it, but there was no elitism, in fact rather the opposite.

3. RovingMike

So that's a zero then.

4. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Take it whatever way you want. :D

Roger Hicks likes this.
  5. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

I joined a while back, and signed up for the contemporary SIG as it seemed to suit my way of working the best. I have found that a lot of the 'local' activity is not really very local to me at all, and as time and money are a bit thin on the ground these days haven't participated in as much as I'd like to have done. I did attend an excellent weekend in Sheffield which was informative and interesting and it was good to meet some of the people who I'd otherwise only encountered on the SIG\s facebook page. The facebook page is probably more active than any official part of the RPS that I've come across yet, but perhaps when I have finished my degree I will find more time to engage with it. I have an L by virtue of the HNC in photography that I did in 2012 and always fancied going after the A. I imagine I could get one by default on completion of my BA but I rather want the challenge of starting a project and seeing it through to completion. I'm not aware that the local groups have organised anything as interesting as Bleeding London by the way. It's the sort of thing I'd really enjoy doing. As it is, I do the Scott Kelby walk every year and out of that has grown a small number of Glasgow phtoographers who arrange meetups throughout the year, and that's a lot of fun!

6. andymcd

andymcd Well-Known Member

Thanks for all of the advice on here.

I think that everyone is agreed that the RPS is something that you get something out of when you put a lot of effort in (in terms of attending events etc.) but I think that I am probably looking for more interaction, so a club would be better if I can find one that fits my schedule.

In the meantime, I have signed on to a half day local RPS event covering Lightroom because this will give me a chance to meet people but also because it will help me with my 2017 goal to be better at PP as well as improving my photography generally. The event costs £10 as a member or non-member so I think it is a safe investment. I have not joined or committed to joining the RPS at this stage, and I think that I would need to be somewhat further down the road before I do.

I've also purchased a monitor calibration unit, and once I have it setup I do intend to post some pictures to the Appraisal forum here to try to get some further advice and feedback. I'm also trying to learn more about Lightroom, PS and the Nik collection, so I can be working at the best level of PP that I can. I also plan to spend some time in 2017 learning how to source prints and mounts, so I know what do if/when I join a club and/or the RPS.

Andy

Roger Hicks likes this.
  7. RovingMike

Sounds like a plan. But don't forget to train the eye. The more you rely on Nik and PP generally, the danger becomes you forget it is the eye for a shot that comes first, second and third. You don't want to go into industrial scale silk purse manufacture.

Roger Hicks likes this.
  8. andymcd

Point noted Mike.

I'm completely on side with what you're saying in terms of PP, my concern is to ensure that my PP is at the best output standard - so more about sharpening, noise etc to ensure that I can get good prints. I'm also concerned about taking things too far in terms of PP, so want to learn how to spot when that has happened so I can dial back.

I'm also concerned about understanding the workflow options. An example of what I mean is that I have been working with Light room and Silver Efex Pro using the Edit in command. This makes a TIF and sends it across then updates when you save in SEP, but you then can't edit to resultant black and white in SEP again (you can reopen it but all of the original settings are lost). Changing across to editing in PS (using edit in PS as a smart object) means that SEP is now a smart filter - so you can reopen in SEP and tweak your settings. I've already learnt that lesson (a couple of days ago) and I am sure that there are lots more areas like this that would make things more controlled.

Going back to your point about training the eye (which I completely agree with, by the way) I have some questions about intent, but I'm not sure where to ask these. Either in Talking Pictures as a single thread or in Appraisal Gallery as individual threads.

9. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

If you want to ask whether or not a particular image fulfilled your intent, I'd suggest posting that image in Appraisal. If you want to talk about 'intent' as a generality, then I guess Talking Picutres!

10. RovingMike

No idea what SEP is, but if it is anything like PS you have the option to save as a (fairly massive) photoshop PSD file or as Tiff, JPEG etc. Of course all except the PSD lose all history.

But really I do so little with mine that I never bother to save PSDs. If I was doing visual art subjects I would probably be more careful.

Yes stick one or two in Appraisals and state the intent, or we can make assumptions that are not in line with that.

11. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

12. andymcd

Thanks for jumping in there Tony - yes, that is what I meant. It is how it is referenced on some other sites - I should have included a definition in my earlier post for clarity.

13. andymcd

Thanks Mike. Yes, using the "Edit as Smart Object" workflow does rely on large PSD files, but the benefit is being able to easily go back and tweak - which I think would be beneficial to me at this stage, hopefully less so as I gain more confidence with the tools.

14. Nikonchris

Nikonchris Well-Known Member

Whats an FB group?

15. RovingMike

16. RovingMike

Facebook Group?

17. Nikonchris

Nikonchris Well-Known Member

Aha...OK....I don't have one of those...