1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RPS, NPS or ...?

Discussion in 'Talking Pictures' started by andymcd, Jan 2, 2017.

1. andymcd

andymcd Well-Known Member

I've been lurking around for a few years now - I've occasionally posted to Appraisal Gallery but mainly watched others' posts and the reaction to them. I do see some very useful and consistent feedback from some people (which I try to apply to my own pictures), but I don't fully trust the internet as a source of honest feedback and criticism. I do, however, want to improve and gain more experience but I would prefer to do this in a less virtual environment.

I think that my best option might be to join the RPS (less sure about NPS) and start attending some events - I am in the East Midlands and live just a few miles from their regular meeting venue. Is this a good way to go about improving, or should I seek a different avenue?

Andy

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Why not? If you don't like it you can soon stop.

Roger Hicks likes this.
  3. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

You'll get more honest feedback on the internet than anywhere else. That doesn't mean it'll be constructive.

4. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

You will get far greater immersion if you join a club and enter competitions. Ignore all the gripes about judges, that won't bother you for a few years. RPS can be very good locally and usually has lots for you to join in, but regional chapters are really more about involvement than critique. They don't operate like a club when it comes to critique. When you get on a bit you can do the RPS Distinctions if you wish. Most bigger clubs have a nucleus of LRPS and ARPS members.
    Re. internet, it just depends where you post. In Appraisals here you should get good guidance, but forget flicker, instagram and the social sites. But any critique has to take into account the level you are aiming for and here it can be very general. Club judges will often be far tougher.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2017
  5. andymcd

Yeah, that was the point I was trying to make.

6. andymcd

Thanks Mike, I've looked into the local clubs in this area - they all meet on nights that I'm already tied up (family commitments) but I can see the logic in progressing in the way you suggest.

I agree that the Appraisal Forum is the best of the online areas I've seen for getting feedback (I tried some of the Flickr "Post 1, Score 5" style groups years ago and quickly gave that up as a bad job) so I think I should start trying to post a few more there, as well as trying to improve my PP skills (LR and Silver Efex Pro mainly). Hopefully I'll either find a club that's more convenient or something in my calendar will "give" and free me up on one of the other nights.

Andy

7. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Where in the East Midlands do those RPS types meet?

8. andymcd

A small village called Whatton that is just East of the A46 at Bingham

9. PhotoEcosse

PhotoEcosse Well-Known Member

I have said several times on this Forum that the best source of information, advice, stimulation and criticism that I have found for my photography has been my local camera club. A close second would be the RPS.

But let me make a few points about the RPS.

Firstly, it is an educational charity and, by becoming a member, you are contributing to this charity - so don't expect "value for money" from your annual subscription in the way that you might from other spending. However, the optional extras that you pay for in Regions and SIGs (see below) give outstanding VFM - provided you make full use of them.

Secondly, remember that, apart from core HQ activities, the RPS is run by volunteers. Like all such organisations, the more you put in - in terms of work and time - the more you are likely to get out.

As far as members' activities are concerned, the bulk of those are organised by the regional organisers and by the Special Interest Groups. Regions are not equal in this respect. I live in Scotland where there is a great amount of local activity. The same applies in London. But other regions vary a bit. The same applies to SIGs - I belong to the Digital Imaging Group, which is one of the most active, both nationally and locally, but others do vary somewhat. Finally, there are dozens of day workshops and courses - but the great majority of those take place in Bath, which is not exactly central (they also tend to be quite expensive for what they are - many camera clubs put on the same sort of workshops free or for nominal fees).

But I would certainly encourage you to join, provided that you are willing to make the effort to participate fully and not expect to be "spoon fed".

10. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Do you know, you are the only one I have heard so far to speak of the RPS in glowing terms. One FB Group certainly doesn't agree with you - and that's from inside the RPS club! However, each to their own. You like them and that's OK. Salons and Salons and Salons suit some but not others.

11. RovingMike

What does this FB group have against them? But there are always factions and I have heard of a few. Many surrounding sour grapes for things like refused As and Fs. The London chapter seem to be a lovely lot to me.

12. AlanW

AlanW Well-Known Member

Well here's one 'Kate' who's 'honoured' to be a member ;)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-38494382

Catriona likes this.
  13. Catriona

AlanW likes this.
  14. RovingMike

Member says nothing about photographic standard. Not sure she's in line for an HonF anytime soon;)

15. PhotoEcosse

PhotoEcosse Well-Known Member

I appreciate that it is difficult for you, Kate, as geographical remoteness - while having many attractions and benefits - does militate against meaningful membership of any organisation such as RPS.

My satisfaction with RPS comes from attending dozens of meetings and functions every year and mixing - in person - with hundreds of fellow members. I can readily understand why you might have a different opinion if you are able only to "mix" with the serial gripers and free-loading malcontents who inhabit FB. As I mentioned in my post, in any such organisation, what one gets out of membership is likely to be directly proportional to what one puts in - something that is not likely to be achieved by "virtual" intercourse.

That is not to say that I don't think that there is considerable scope for improvement in the way that the Society is run. In fact, there is a review of governance currently underway and many of us have expressed opinions which we hope will be taken account of in this review. But, I say again, only opinions transmitted through normal channels are likely to be heard - not the girning of those who confine their input to social media.

16. Catriona

As I said, if it works for you - and it obviously does, that's fine by me. Slagging off others who don't get the same out of the RPS only confirms my bias.

Andrew Flannigan likes this.
  17. Andrew Flannigan

That's the thing, isn't it? "Those who are for me are saints and those against are sinners" is too common with many of these groups.

18. RovingMike

He didn't slag anyone off and he mentioned nothing about saintliness or sinning. Another troll plucked from thin air I'm afraid. BTW Kate appears to know something of RPS and is entitled to an opinion on it. And your qualification for your comment is......

19. Andrew Flannigan

Absolutely none of your business :D

20. Catriona

Yes, I know a bit about RPS and have been a member for a year or so. I realise that the Salon mentality is not for me, nor trying to get letters after my name (other than BA!) so I should have known better than to join. It is slickly run and serves its purpose for many. The ones I have listened to and read the various comments about the RPS and its apparent aims are not (quote) the serial gripers and free-loading malcontents who inhabit FB (end quote) (PhotoEcosse) in my opinion, but are people who know about the running of RPS and its direction far better than I know it. So yes, I consider that slagging people off, simply because they hold views different to Eric's. I've no doubt they agreed with him in the early days, but have grown disillusioned subsequently. To my knowledge they are not failed cadidates for distinctions!

Anyway - it suits some, so let's leave it at that. Probably very useful for aspiring professionals or current professionals. Interesting for the rest of us, but not the Club for us.

Andrew Flannigan likes this.