1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Royal Mail ban lithium batteries.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by swanseadave, Feb 4, 2013.

1. swanseadave

swanseadave Well-Known Member

I tried to order a 2CR5 and got the following from 7dayshop`s website.

"Sales of Lithium Batteries at 7dayshop.com have been temporarily stopped
    As of Monday 14th January 2013, Royal Mail have prohibited Lithium batteries being sent through their postal network. We are currently working on alternative courier postal options for these items and will begin to sell and deliver these items in the UK* as soon as we can. This will, however, mean increased delivery costs for all Lithium batteries. Until the courier options are in place, all Lithium batteries have been removed from our website.

7dayshop.com remains committed to offering the best value in batteries. We're very sorry that legislation outside our control will lead to our customers having to pay more for the delivery of Lithium batteries. 7dayshop.com will still continue to supply Lithium batteries to our customers but we hope you will understand the reasons for the increased delivery charges.

When we do start to sell Lithium batteries again, we recommend that you take advantage of our Multi-Buy prices and also order more of our products at the same time to consolidate the increased delivery costs.

For more details please see the full announcement below:

Lithium Battery Deliveries
    As of Monday 14th January 2013, to comply with transport legislation, to protect the health, safety and wellbeing of its employees and customers, and ensure that mail in transport does not present a danger to the general public, Royal Mail have prohibited Lithium batteries being sent through their postal network. This means that all sales of Lithium batteries will now have to be delivered using our next-day courier service operated by DPD. The delivery charge for these products will be £7.95 if ordering from Mainland UK or £14.85 if ordering from the Scottish Highlands & Islands, the Isle of Man, the Channel Islands or Northern Ireland. We are not able to deliver Lithium batteries to Eire (ROI) or any other international destination."

:confused:

Whatever RM`s reasons it seems a carp decision to me.

edit:looks like amazon still sell thru the post .

Last edited: Feb 4, 2013
  2. Mojo_66

Mojo_66 Well-Known Member

Plenty on Amazon with free delivery, including offerings from 7 Day!

3. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

Very odd decision. :confused:

Not sure where the danger is.

Anyone care to give input. Unless a lithium battery is being charged it should not generate heat. Most designs prevent short circuit. Actually any battery can present a danger if short circuited. But that would be no accident.

Plus some devices might have lithium battery built in, how does that work?

How will RM know? Even if you x-ray a battery I doubt you could tell it's a lithium one.

Something must of happened to take this measure. Why don't they tell people. :mad:

RM losing money as it is without banning things. :rolleyes:

4. Gromit

Gromit RIP

It appears that airlines have put a ban on them being carried in the hold, although you can take some on in hand luggage :confused:

There's a bit more about the restrictions here

5. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

It's all here ...

http://www.royalmail.com/sites/default/files/6966-DG-A5-Business-customer booklet.pdf

Extract...

"lithium batteries Allowed through
    Royal Mail Tracked®
    UK addresses only
    Prohibited when sent on their own in the domestic and
    international post
    Allowed in UK and international post when contained
    in a device* but are prohibited in Business Response,
    Freepost™, Packetpost™ and Packetsort™
    Allowed in the UK post when sent with a device* but are
    prohibited in Packetpost™ Returns, Business Response,
    Freepost™ and all variants of Packetpost™ and Packetsort™"

6. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

sounds very inconsistent.
    Can't send on their own.
    But can in devices?

Either way they could be set to short circuit during transport, and cause problems.
    But not more so than other devices.

Sounds like a jobsworth decision.....

7. Bob Maddison

Bob Maddison Well-Known Member

This reminds me of the ban on lithium batteries on some Indian Airlines a few years ago. They were reported to confiscate batteries from cameras! It all came about because it had been reported that fires had started on aircraft as a result of Lithium Batteries being short circuited. Eventually it was all resolved provided that the battery was full enclosed in a device or was packaged so as to make an accidental short circuit impossible. However, there remained questions about where in the 'plane the batteries could be carried. The general advice is in Hand Luggage, not in the hold where the consequences of a fire being undiscovered are more serious. Currently, it has been acknowledged that the batteries concerned are LARGE batteries, bigger even that a typical Laptop battery, and that small batteries such as camera batteries presented no significant risk. There is still a general prohibition on carrying bulk consignments of the larger batteries on passenger carrying aircraft.

The Post Office has come up with several prohibitions recently, including carrying firearms accessories (such as a sight) even though the same had no restrictions on ownership. This was resolved after lobbying. Perhaps the threat that photo dealers (or even AP itself) could boycott the P.O. for all sales might bring them to their senses.

8. ianwaite

ianwaite Well-Known Member

Hi, apparently even a single lithium battery if not packaged properly can over heat and cause fires, this link http://www.nbcnews.com/id/39852461/...-batteries-planes-sparks-debate/#.UQ_mKqXqO04 deals with a plane crash suspected to have been caused by this. There has been 20+ examples of lithium batteries causing fires on aeroplanes, some of which were from a single battery. Given the Royal Mail transport quite a bit of mail by air, this could be a reason.

Regards
    Ian

9. ianwaite

As a side story to this Boeings new Dreamliner uses lithium batteries and as you all probably know are lithium based, under U.S. law now they can only be carried on a plane if they are attached to a Dreamliner.

Ian

10. LargeFormat

LargeFormat Well-Known Member

Sounds like a Boeing 787 issue. They've been taken out of the air on account of their lithium batteries.

11. ianwaite

Only U.S. and Japanese registered ones, C.A.A. and most of Europe letting their carry on for moment!

Sorry I'll take this one back, my info was out of date, they are all grounded now! OOPS

Last edited: Feb 4, 2013
  12. Cuthbert

Cuthbert Well-Known Member

Wonder if the pilots ever get out of bed in the morning and think 'damn, forgot to put the batteries on to charge last night!' ? :D

13. TheFatControlleR

TheFatControlleR :Devil's Advocaat: Forum Admin

Sounds like a ruse to get folk to pay for for delivery, boost the numbers for that aspect of the Post Office in preparation for a sell-off... Just sayin'. ;)

14. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

Before I retired I was Product Safety Advisor to a major defence contractor, and responsible for safety aspects of our products, including an airborne search and fire-control radar carried in the nose of a well known RAF fighter. After the airframe manufacturer learnt that we had incorporated a lithium battery (somewhat larger than a 2CR5) in our radar so as to keep error-log memories alive for a long period after touchdown, we had to fully justify our decisions, and show beyond doubt that we had not hazarded the airworthiness of the aircraft. The exercise took nearly a year, before we were satisfied that our design was adequately safe. During this period I noted with interest how the airlines changed their decisions regarding the carriage of lithium cells from month to month! Eventually many regulations were relaxed, and I wondered why we had taken so much trouble, but then some laptop batteries started catching fire...

How did we get into this situation? We took on a very self-confident engineer with lots of digital expertise, but unfortunately without any knowledge of the safety disciplines applicable to airborne systems. I wonder if something similar happened at Boeing?

15. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

So how they going to enforce this? Open every jiffy bag? :p

16. thornrider

thornrider In the Stop Bath

Could also be an Apple iPhone 4S issue - that woman's that caught fire - in the news yesterday - and the woman's that set fire to he bedding.

17. ianwaite

Must have been a Hot Topic or a burning conversation!

18. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Think this may be a knee-jerk reaction due to some dodgy reporting of the Boeing problem. Some news media refered to risk of 'fire and poisonous gas'. I thought the latter was a problem with NiCads alone; hence encouraging the move to use of Lithiums & Nimhs, although other factors were influencing that as well.

Any shorted battery may cause a fire. It depends on what is doing the shorting and any surrounding material & other conditions.

19. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

In actual fact what the post office are saying merely reiterates the regulations as they have been for some years. There is also a lithium Equivalent figure that applies to batteries carried as hand baggage (carry on in US parlance). This really isn't a story unless you accept that 7 Day Shop may have been shipping batteries undeclared, which is unlikely. A coin cell is not considered a risk by the regulations because of its small lithium content.

I have some documentation but as it is on my work computer I can't post any links.

20. Roy5051

Roy5051 Well-Known Member

As most, if not all, cameras now rely on lithium batteries to actually work, how are they now going to be transported from manufacturers to retail/wholesale outlets? How are you going to take your cameras on holiday? Let's face it, even film cameras from the autofocus era use lithium batteries. Is this the death of the digital camera? Are manual film cameras going to make a comeback? Should we all now be buying Nikon FM2s, Pentax MXs, indeed, any camera that doesn't rely on lithium batteries?

Or will the Post Office realise what asses they have made of themselves, and issue a retraction in the next few days? Or will we all have to buy on the high street, and pay over the odds for our batteries? Places like Boots charge £13 for a 2CR5, whereas 7dayshop etc charge £3.99.

What a cock-up.