1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Round Five 2011 - Creative Wildlife

Discussion in 'Amateur Photographer Of the Year (APOY)' started by TheFatControlleR, Jul 26, 2011.

1. TheFatControlleR

TheFatControlleR :Devil's Advocaat: Forum Admin

Discuss...

2. AlecM

AlecM MiniMe

Okay, I will!
    Just picked up AP today and looking through the results, there are some cracking wildlife (and captive life) shots - but that isn't the query I have. All the shots are spot on technically and all are well observed, but in a couple of instances they are fairly classic shots (the judges even say so), so where's the creative aspect in those? I confess, I no longer have the brief so it's clear that captive animals are allowed (and rightly so given the sublime shot that won second place), but wouldn't the creativity be a major part of the criteria?
    Before anyone asks, I didn't enter, so no sour grapes and I think all the shots are worthy as they're all well executed - I'm just curious (and wanted to use the new thread!)
    Al:)

3. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

I have to agree with much of that.

Whenever advice on how to win a competition is given the first rule is always "stick to the brief".

Then judges make awards to pictures that apparently don't stick to the brief.

I also agree that there are some very fine pictures in the top 30 and no quibbles with the vast majority.

I too have no axe to grind. I didn't enter.

MickLL

4. LargeFormat

LargeFormat Well-Known Member

Well I did enter but only in as much as I grabbed a photograph off the hard disk and sent it in. As far as I was concerned it was one of Mick's mere record shots with no creativity but having seen how the brief isn't necessarily followed it seemed worth the cost of an email. Had it have been successful I'd now be complaining that as a mere record it didn't meet the criteria.:D

5. Gemma_Padley

Gemma_Padley AP freelance

Thanks for your comments. Great to see the new APOY discussion room being used! In general, while we would like entrants to heed the brief for each round, we encourage participants to think laterally around the brief rather than stick rigidly to it. The brief is really a starting point and it is up to photographers to interpret it how they see fit. For this round specifically, we wanted people to be creative but to still produce images that were technically excellent. In some cases the images were exceptional and consequently scored highly.

6. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

Hi Gemma,
    You don't really expect agreement with that do you?

If the brief says a picture of a carrot I don't expect to see a picture of a cabbage - however creative I am.

Having said that the judges decision is final and so I'm not going to argue any more.

MickLL

7. Chrissie_Lay

Chrissie_Lay AP Editor's PA

To assist with your discussions here are the links to the Creative Wildlife results

http://www.amateurphotographer.co.u...Creative_Wildlife_apoycompetition_308784.html

http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/photo-gallery/showgallery.php?cat=29

Chrissie

8. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

9. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

Well I can take heart. :)

Bit late but just noticed that Jack Hood's 10th place shot (39 pts) in this round was shot on the Fujifilm s200exr bridge camera.

Well done Jack. I own the model down from this the s100fs.

10. JackHood

JackHood Well-Known Member

Thanks very much P_Stoddart. I was so chuffed to come 10th. Both the S200exr and S100fs are superb cameras and it just goes to show that a DSLR isn't needed to feature in the magazine (although I still want one :))

11. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

Looked at your Flickr as well. Nice macros shots as well. I think the s200exr handles macro better. I managed to get some shots but found it hit and miss.

Personally if I had the funds I go for Lumix G camera like say the G10 or (in my dreams) GH2.

I hope you are successful again in the next round if you are entering. :)

12. JackHood

JackHood Well-Known Member

Thanks very much. Macro is my favourite type of photography although I'd like to start taking a wider range of photos. I use a Raynox 250 macro lens which is excellent.

Yes, I've also been looking at purchasing a micro four thirds camera and I agree if I could have any it would be the GH2. The only thing which is stopping me purchasing one is the limited range of lenses available.

Yes I've entered this month's round. Fingers crossed. Good luck to you also if you've entered. :)