1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Room 101

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by TimHeath, Jan 3, 2015.

1. TimHeath

TimHeath Well-Known Member

I would stick the website representing my local paper, the Gloucestershire Echo, in Room 101.

Immediately after accessing the site you are confronted with a full-screen ad for something or another. when you figure out how to remove it and click through to an article you will have other animations starting up in the form of banners and annoying tv style ads you can only skip after 5 seconds. If you do manage to read an article you scroll down to masses of 'click bait' articles telling you about transgender celebrities or celebrities 'ageing badly' or other nonsense.

The 'comments' section largely contain posts that begin 'My mom earns $16,000 working from home...'

I think the paper use some sort of template as I've seen other local news websites looking much the same. They really are terrible and the shameless advertising just about negates any benefit derived from the editorial content, which is far from stellar itself.

[​IMG]

2. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

One of my local newspapers seems to be very good at informing people about what organised events happened over the past week, BUT wholly incapable of telling us in advance, what will be happening!

3. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Let's face it, local newspapers are in the business of advertising and selling photos of kids to mums and dads. News? They don't leave their offices!

4. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

A friend of mine was stuck on the tube just outside Mansion House when the annoucement came: "Ladies and gentlemen, we are held up and I don't know why, I've tried calling them but they aren't speaking to me..Dunno what I've done to upset them. When they do finally tell me what is going on I'll tell you but if they tell you before they tell me- will someone tell me what's going on"

The weirdest one (although not on a train) was an annoucer I heard at Warren Street- I think he must have got begging and busking mixed when he came out with :

"London underground would like to remind customers that buggering is not allowed on the tube"

5. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

The basic rule when you see any event in our local paper is to call the organisers and make sure its on and what the right date is- the paper usually gets the date wronf

6. Hwntws

Hwntws Well-Known Member

I've tried cutting and pasting link to this item with Jeremy Paxman but for some reason can't, system wont let me . See if this works www.youtube.com/watch?v=son1Gy7f8vP2QY Its a link to Paxman getting put in his place over funding to Wales.

7. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

The Oscars......

8. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Churches pleading with people to buy them a new roof etc.

Buy your own. I didn't come knocking when I needed new windows.

9. art

art Well-Known Member

10. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

You got in before me.

Chancellery. argh :mad: Who else thinks this belongs in the dustbin of history, along with tithes? I had to take out chancellery insurance when I bought my house, after a search turned up liability. I'm an atheist, I couldn't give a tuppenny damn if the church burned to the ground, I certainly wouldn't give them a brass farthing to rebuild it.

11. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Female spokesperson from Saatchi explaining their political campaigns strategy.
    If I had to listen to that accent for longer than 5 minutes, my teeth would be gone!