1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Room 101

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by TimHeath, Jan 3, 2015.

1. alindsay

alindsay Well-Known Member

With you all the way. It's relentless, the puerile punning, and it's been relentless for decades. The joke, if it ever was one, has worn so thin there cannot be three molecules holding it together.

2. AJUK

AJUK Well-Known Member

A bit presumptuous. It's UK tax money that pays for such redundancies.

But please enlighten me as to who these Welsh people are who struggle with the word SLOW. There are actual many more Polish people in Wales who can't read English than there are Welsh people who can't read English but can read Welsh.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2015
  3. AJUK

AJUK Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

4. Thunderer

Thunderer Well-Known Member

I think UDI is what you need. Please
    Jeff

5. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

dunno who you mean...:rolleyes:

6. Sejanus.Aelianus

Sejanus.Aelianus In the Stop Bath

I spent the longest 9 months of my young life in South Wales, just outside Pontypool. No-one at my school spoke Welsh. Anyone who tried, was called "Taff", until they learned how to behave in polite company. This was at a Secondary Modern, so no-one was being snobby, either.

:D :D :D

7. art

art Well-Known Member

In my teens, I spent many summer holidays on a family friend's farm in mid Wales around the time when the Welsh nationalists were busy burning down holiday cottages, breaking off the traditional cast iron road signs and defacing any other English language signs they could find. There were quite a few pubs in the area where conversation would stop if you walked in and spoke English. All very odd really. I don't recall noticing if the locals had six fingers through in-breeding though :)

It's a lovely country but in the end my friend sold up his farm and moved back to his home county of Shropshire. Seems to me that nationalism is a destructive force.

8. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

The two words "working people" as used by politicians.

I have every respect for real working people, but the phrase as hijacked by politicians excludes so many of our population without whom the real working people would never function.

9. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Toilet cisterns.

10. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

Oh, dear! What's the problem? My cistern is showing signs of needing a new flush mechanism, but at least it's giving my right arm some exercise.

11. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Haha!
    Erratic high pressure fill, handle that doesn't want to return. Have just phoned a plumber and await his return call. No disasters... yet! Sixty one slates sorted on the roof. It's quiet now! :)

Kate

12. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

I got stung by a local "handyman" £65 to fix a non flushing toilet, he changed the complete mechanism; being inquisitive, I had a look at the faulty item removed, a small piece of plastic had failed, looked it up on line, £0.15, the part he changed £15, so his labour charge was £50 for 20 minutes in the house, OK he probably had to pay a bit more then the £15 web price but still an extortionate hourly rate by my reckoning.

He doesn't get much work locally now.!

13. Bejay

Bejay Well-Known Member

Replace outdated siphon with a flapper/drop valve mechanism

14. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

Interestingly a couple of years back our cistern was so slow to fill up (as in the best part of an hour) so Dave (despite not being a plumber) had a look and after a few minutes fixed it.

However there was a small piece of plastic left over he couldn't work out how to replace but it's worked fine without it ever since

15. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

For room 101- those bloody tube messages "There is a good service operating on all London Underground lines" when you've been waiting 20+ minutes for your train to turn up! I'd much rather they said "The Hammersmith and City line is f***ed" or whatever so I can at least decide whether to wait round for the damn thing or make alternative arrangements.

16. Sejanus.Aelianus

One of my most cherrished memories is sitting on a Circle Line train, outside of Baker Street. After 10 minutes or so of motionlessness, the loudspeaker came on:

"Ladies and gentlemen, please accept my apologies for this delay, which has been due to a signalman, who doesn't know his arse from his bloody elbow!"

I was far from the only person laughing loudly and cheering.

:D :D :D

[​IMG]

17. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

When the Welsh Nationalists were stirring things up, a friend of mine saw a house which had been 'torched' and on the doorstep, was an empty milk bottle where the heat had been so intense, the bottle had 'telescoped' downwards, so it was almost half it's normal height!

As for that small bit of plastic Lesley was referring to, it probably was the 'disc' used to increase/decrease the flow of water into the cistern.

18. Hwntws

Hwntws Well-Known Member

So if I've got this right, AJUK and Sejanus write that there is no one in Wales that speaks the welsh language and then Art saying that there are pubs full of people speaking the language, ----- until he walks through the door. No doubt they do this before he's opened his mouth to say anything, must be the way he's dressed.
    Then it's all of them are nationalists because they burnt down cottages. Bit of info. for you. It was a group called Meibion Glyndwr who were objecting to 2nd homes being bought and owned by people from outside the areas and forcing house prices up, so that locals couldn't afford them, that set fire to the cottages. Now some of this group may have been nationalist, but they've never claimed to be, many of these 2nd homes were owned by Welsh people living in Wales, so it was not an anti-English thing.
    And as for AJUK paying tax for us to have road signs in Welsh, well I strongly object to my having to pay taxes to subsidise the wealthiest region of Britain, London,

19. art

art Well-Known Member

More likely the fact that I was a stranger.

Second homes always seem to be an emotive subject, especially the lament about pushing up prices so locals can no longer afford them. But it's funny how no one ever seems to blame the locals who are selling their houses at such inflated prices at prices.in the first place. Why not sell them cheaply to local people if they are so community-minded?

And you'd have every right to object . . . if it were true. However, this report shows how it is England that is subsidising Wales as far as public spending is concerned:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-25039137

And as for Welsh taxes subsidising London, give me a break:
    http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/...-pound-earned-capital-funds-rest-country.html

If it wasn't for such generous public funding, how else would the Welsh assembly be able to fund pointless flights between Cardiff and Anglesey?
    http://www.southwalesargus.co.uk/ne...ervice_branded__pointless_and_costly_/?ref=mr

Having said all that, I'm not against such subsidies and am not a supporter of breaking up the UK into smaller units because where will it all end? What next - Yorkshire? Cornwall (sorry, Kernow)? I notice the SNP have gone a bit quite about the value of all 'their' oil since the price slump:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-30525539

I reckon all this devolution stuff is economic nonsense and the UK is better off as the UK than as a bunch of tiny fragments with fragile economies at best and bankrupt ones at worst. If there really is a case for true independence then it would probably be the City of London that could make the best case. Just imagine the size of bonuses that could be paid if the City didn't have to support the rest of the UK ;)

Be careful what you wish for.

20. Sejanus.Aelianus

Well, I was writing about my experience, fifty years ago.

I gather it's changed a little since then, though, if I understand correctly, for the worse. I reckon all this home rule rubbish is just one party or another trying to gather votes. I agree with Art that we're better off together than apart. For some reason, the majority of Scots agree. Perhaps we should ask the Welsh, now?

Anyway, so far as I'm concerned, nationalism is so very eightenth century...

[​IMG]