1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Room 101

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by TimHeath, Jan 3, 2015.

1. Sejanus.Aelianus

Sejanus.Aelianus In the Stop Bath

Fairy Snuff. I'll toss in John Humphrys. He used to be good value but he ain't any more. In fact, while I'm on the subject, why not put in the whole last hour of "Toady" as well?

:cool:

2. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

No, no, no!
    It was the best I've heard in a long time. You don't want to hear real Greeks telling it as it is?

3. Sejanus.Aelianus

I wasn't thinking about any particular edition, just that the 08:00 - 09:00 segment is where they put all the "paid" advertising and performing dogs. If they actually used it for some serious material, this morning, then I'm sorry I missed it.

4. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Ah, I thought you had heard this morning. If you get the chance, it is well worth listening to - and I don't often say that about the Today Prog!

5. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Ski clamps on car roof bars.

Yes I know there maybe a need for them, but not in the centre of Manchester, or the plains of Cheshire where I reside.

Put them on when you go on holiday, but take them off when you are back. You don't impress us by leaving them on.

6. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

I'll add: Website Cookie Notices; or better still, the crass bureaucracy which made them necessary.

7. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

Emails titled ... "Please review your recent purchase from...."

8. alindsay

alindsay Well-Known Member

The Amazon 'review our packaging' one, that came after a box measuring 24" x 12" x 6" was delivered.

And contained a pair of cotton socks.

Or the box exactly the same size, filled with crumpled brown paper, which contained a kneading blade for a Panasonic breadmaker. It's about three inches long. If that.

9. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

I'd like to shove into Room 101 those Posters who've discovered how to attach large pictures to their posts.

My scroll wheel is worn out......

:D :D :D

Last edited: Feb 10, 2015
  10. Sejanus.Aelianus

After Mick pointed out to me the error of my ways, I have started using little 'uns...

[​IMG]

11. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

Website Cookie Notices .... Why is it that when you 'Accept' one of these, the cookie, also remembers you've accepted it, so the damn thing doesn't reappear the next time you visit that website? The Google one, I find particularly annoying.

12. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

Through the post today came one of those advertising letters from a website called streetlife.com

It was addressed to "The lovely person who lives at...."

So sincere........

Straight into Room 101.

13. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

Snap, I got one too, has anybody tried it? Is it just a localised farecebook or twatter or is it something even partway useful?

14. AJUK

AJUK Well-Known Member

Road signs in Wales, pretentious nonsense. Yes I'm sure there are plenty of Welsh people who are to slow to know what slow means in English.

15. art

art Well-Known Member

Ha! good one. Throw in all the other minority languages being propped up at vast expense for the benefit of the few thousand people who can actually understand them.

The world has grown up and moved on from the days when people on either side of a valley would speak differently because they never wandered more than a few miles to the nearest market town. Yes, it's all very quaint and interesting from an academic historian's perspective, but meanwhile, in the real world, I fail to see why our taxes should support multilingual road signs and other such nonsense.

16. AJUK

AJUK Well-Known Member

Oh, I'm happy for the Welsh to have their own language and for it to be taught in schools etc and I can see the need to have place names and the odd signs such as "Welcome to Wales" etc. But most of the time it comes across as if they're trying to Patronise welsh people. The only purpose of road signs is to convey a message and in the most simple way possible, they're not there to make nationalistic statements.

17. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

They're patronising the ones who don't/can't speak Welsh

18. AJUK

AJUK Well-Known Member

That would be the case if 100% of the population spoke welsh of which 10% spoke fluent English, all of whom could also speak Welsh.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2015
  19. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

Visual puns, stupid visual puns in, for god's sake, the news :mad:. Every damn sentence it seems like. Anyone remember "Lord Privy Seal" yeah.

OK, call me a grumpy old git, but any news journo who puts even ONE in their report should be sacked forthwith.

/rant

20. Hwntws

Hwntws Well-Known Member

People who come to Wales and tell us how we should behave, live and speak.