1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Room 101

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by TimHeath, Jan 3, 2015.

1. TimHeath

TimHeath Well-Known Member

Let's have a thread where you can dump all the irritating nonsense that you encounter in this world of ours.

I'm going to start off with supermarket 'offers':

I generally don't want to buy "3 for £7" and I also therefore don't want to buy 1 of the same items for £3 each. I'm in a lose/lose situation because I know if I buy 3 items one will possibly end up being thrown away - I don't like waste and I'll end up paying £3.50 each for two items. In this case I will often go without said item - lose/lose!

Additionally you need to have your wits about you when shopping in some stores (M&S esp). An end of aisle display (for example) will often have a 'themed' promotion, let's say 'Summer Picnic' food items, 3 for £8, where items are 'normally' priced £3-4 each, a 'saving' if you require three items. The catch is they will strategically place non-promotion items amongst the display, meaning the unwary will pick up three items believing them to be 3 for £8 and end up being charged maybe £12. The same applies to 'reduced' items, they also 'nullify' the offer. I suspect a lot get caught out this way and the retailer is applauded for being so profitable.

I would simply rather pay a fair price for my purchases and not be 'tricked' when buying a few groceries and for this reason I wish the practice be consigned to Room 101!

2. Olderbutnotwiser

Olderbutnotwiser Well-Known Member

Cashback!!

If you're going to charge £30 less for something, charge £30 less. Don't initially charge the £30 and make somebody jump through hoops before getting the £30 back several weeks or even months later!

3. Sejanus.Aelianus

Sejanus.Aelianus In the Stop Bath

Cyclists in pedestrian areas where there's a specific "Cyclists Dismount" sign!

[​IMG]

4. mark_jacobs

mark_jacobs Retired

5. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

The minute I see the words "special offer" I remind myself they aren't making this offer because they're nice people who want to give me something for nothing. Then again the next thing I think is "Can I beat them at their own game here?"

No special offer has ever made me buy something I didn't want or couldn't use. Yesterday I spotted a buy one get two free on kitchen towel. Don't need any right now but it doesn't go off and it will get used so I took full advantage= paid for four walked out with 12 - won't be buying much of that until Easter again

6. TimHeath

A friend of mine having uncomfortably encountered cyclists on the pavement (slightly different to a 'pedestrian area') has reminded them that the only cyclists really allowed to use the pavement are 'babies and young infants'!

7. TimHeath

8. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Weathermen who use 'windy' - an unspecific airspeed.
    Ditto who talk about the North West - when what they mean is the Lake District (and not what I mean).

Most of all, Sundays!

9. TimHeath

To Room 101 as it were?

10. alindsay

alindsay Well-Known Member

Sainsbury's had a special offer (I have a picture of the shelf to prove it), on sachets of baking powder, £1 each, or (big red sign) "2 for £2".

Walked out with twenty at that price ...

11. TheFatControlleR

TheFatControlleR :Devil's Advocaat: Forum Admin

Pretty much my M.O. too. I only buy on 'special offer' if, as you say, it's something we do us and will keep.

I do get a bit miffed though when they have offers on and we pick up a load and get told at the till that there is a limit on how many can be bought per customer - occasionally it says on the shelf/promo label, which is fine, ish. I just put them aside and say I'll pay for them separately in another transaction, doesn't always work though, depends who's on the till so that'd be a 101 moment.

12. PhotoEcosse

PhotoEcosse Well-Known Member

....and cyclists who ride two (or more) abreast on a busy but twisty A-road, causing a half-mile queue of traffic behind them.

...and those who think the "Midlands" are somewhere in the deep south - round about Birmingham, rather than in the middle of the country round about Carlisle.

But, most of all, competition judges (and I admire 90% of them) who erroneously complain that a "horizon" is not level in a photograph that has no horizon. A horizon is an astronomical phenomenon whereby a line of sight ends due to the curvature of the Earth. There is no Earthly reason (literally) why the far shore of a lake, the opposite side of an estuary or the top of a rise in the land should be either level or horizontal.

:(

13. art

art Well-Known Member

Point of order Milord . . . . Carlisle might be closer to the centre of the UK, but Birmingham IS closer to the centre of the country of England. ;)

14. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

Signs which say something like:

WARNING. DANGER OF ICE
    FOOTPATHS MAY BE SLIPPERY

Nanny society does my head in :mad:

15. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

may contain nuts....

16. TheFatControlleR

TheFatControlleR :Devil's Advocaat: Forum Admin

We have a jar of peanut butter in the cupboard right now with that on the label, I noticed it the other day and my heart sank with despair (having heard the rumours but never seeing the evidence). :(

17. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

Forum Threads that within half a dozen posts have deviated into a totally different topic.

18. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Why? Peanuts aren't nuts after all, so it's quite sensible really. ;)

19. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

Oh, come on now, half a dozen is pretty good going for the lounge. :)

PS I prefer the short, OE derived "six" to the French derived "half a Dozen" even if "Half" does have good OE roots.

20. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

Here we go..... :D