1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rollei Retro 35mm film … anyone use it?

Discussion in 'Everything Film' started by Done_rundleCams, May 28, 2017.

1. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

I'm just about to finish my roll of colour film in my Konica Hexar AF and my
    next roll of film is going to be a roll of, said, Rollei Retro in 35mm format.

I'm just wondering, has anyone here used this film and what are/were your thoughts on it :) ….
    …… aside from the fact that it's not great for shooting rainbows or sunsets ;)

Cheers,

Jack

2. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Is that the 320? If so, haven't tried it, but have tried the R80s and R400s.

I like both, though they are a touch on the contrasty side. On the other hand, sharp to my old eyes, with lovely detail, and if you stick an R72 on the front you get some grand IR effects.

S
    ps just watch out for winding on when you get to the end of the roll - they use a polyester base, your wind-on mech. will break first!

Done_rundleCams likes this.
  3. Done_rundleCams

Thanks for the heads up, Steve :) and I'm using the the 400s and will be using it on my Hexar AF so, hopefully, winding on shan't be an issue :eek: I'll have to
    check around the shop to see if we what have in the way of "old" 46mm Mono filters :D

I'll try get the roll of film done quicker than my usual 5 or 6 weeks when shooting the film camera ;0

Cheers,

Jack

4. steveandthedogs

Lych-gate-web.jpg porth-mynwent-web.jpg Here's a couple I took, one with and one without the IR filter. Admittedly with R802, but you get the same with R400s.

S

5. steveandthedogs

And one with R400s.

dylans-web.jpg

6. Done_rundleCams

Wow, thanks Steve :) and, OOC, did you process your own film or take it to
    a Pro Lab? I'll definitely be doing the latter.

Cheers,

Jack

7. steveandthedogs

Just sloshed them around in Ilfosol3!

I'll probably get banned for saying it, but I prefer Rollei, Fomapan and Kentmere to Ilford's own.

S

8. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Not used the newer 'S' variant, but I thoroughly enjoyed shooting original Retro 400 in 120. Didn't enjoy handling the film after processing though, as it curled like a crazy curly thing. Here's a couple of examples shot with my Holga. First is 'straight' and second with digitally tinted sepia. Love the tones from this film. :)

[​IMG]
    Lacock Abbey grounds
    by Zou san, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Z
    by Zou san, on Flickr

9. steveandthedogs

The "s" versions don't curl as much.

Mind you, neither does a corkscrew.

S

Done_rundleCams and Zou like this.
  10. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Jack, that's quick. Think I have some films in my 'Winogrand collection' that go back to 2011! Cheers, Oly

PS: Have used a couple of rolls of 400S, one still to be dev'd! o_O It is said the clear poly base makes it very suitable for scanning.

11. 0lybacker

Love both of those, Zou. Very Matt Pringle! And also up to/better than his 'quality' standard. Well done. Oly

Zou and Done_rundleCams like this.
  12. Done_rundleCams

Hi Oly,

Well, to make you feel better, last spring (2016) when I pulled out my Konica Hexar AF, I had taped a piece of paper on the back
    stating the date July 2008 which, I'm guessing, was the last time I had used it :eek: and finished it off within a few days and took
    about 5 weeks to finish off the next roll but, then waited until January of this year to process and scan them :eek: :eek: :eek: I'm still waiting
    to finish my current roll of colour before I plump in the Rollei 400s :D

Cheers,

Jack

13. Done_rundleCams

Wow …. I agree with Oly, Zou, those are beautiful images :)

Cheers,

jack

Zou likes this.
  14. 0lybacker

Jack, at least you taped a bit of paper on the back! Got a roll of something in my old Ma's 6x9 V. Bessa (c. 1938) that I know I put in, in this decade, and I know it's B&W (I have some equally old colour in a 6x6 Z.Nettar) but for the life of me I cannot remember the film speed. Am fairly certain it's likely to be Delta 100 possibly but ...

... there is a corridor of uncertainty, as Geoffrey Boycott would say.

Not sure why you leave a Hexar unused for so long, unless you have shed loads of kit. They are said to be very good (who needs a Leica M :eek: with a Hexar?) and Patrick at Aperture keeps putting minty ones for reasonable £s in his window to tempt me. Have resisted so far. Too many cameras. Too many cameras not used enough, despite the film deving backlog! Have fun with the Hexar. Think Herzog as you go! :):):) Cheers, Oly

15. Done_rundleCams

Hi Oly,

I did, indeed, tape the date on the back of the camera, but, unfortunately, I didn't think of keeping the camera in the fridge of my
    residencia's so the temperature was always changing and, consequently, the film had a rather distinctive look to it :eek: … see at the bottom,
    first photo was from July 2008 and the last three were from April 2016 ;). I hope you can resist and, that way, have some dosh to come to
    Vancouver :D and always thinking of Mr. Herzog :)

Cheers,

Jack ….. here's the photos ;) … I've just cropped a wee bit and resized to 800 x ??? :D

July 2008-AP-SylviaHotel_3A_00036 copy.jpg April 2016-AP-John_WL-23A_00054 copy.jpg April 2016-AP- Tinseltown-17A_00048 copy.jpg April 2016-AP-Vancouver-14A_00045 copy.jpg